Daredevil/Echolocating Vision

Piperfighter

Alright so hear me out.

I want to put this request here because I work on cars, not code. I know how to mod games, like putting existing mods into the game but I haven't found a mod that does what I would like to have.

Basically I want to play as a character that is blind and finds his way around using echolocation.

In my mind the way this would work is something like this:

The world itself is black or like very very dark, you can barely make out things but not enough to identify them. Being blind is the inability to see but this would be for player comfort, like just to know that your game ins't frozen or anything.

You could press any key on your keyboard to ...well start echolocating. Not sure if it would be like one, two or three soundwaves that would get sent by pressing the key once but atm that doesn't really matter.

After you pressed the button, soundwaves would travel everywhere (in a fixed and maybe adjustable radius) and the edges of objects would get bright. This condition would also last a fixed amount of time. This would be your primary way to see.

For NPCs I thought it would be cool if neutral NPCs would be highlighted in a normal color, whatever that would be and for hostile NPCs it would be red.

I think it would be great if those variables could be changed in either an ini file or the MCM, dunno.

For the most part this would be a visual mod, the key binding for echolocating is as I imagine a game mechanic and sounds that this mod would need also fall under that I assume but I have no idea how hard it would be to realize such a mod.

Would be nice if someone would build it and upload it to Nexus.
For good measure I provided some example pics so that you understand what I am talking about.

Lemme hear your thoughts!

Cya^^

Edited by Piperfighter

The seeing-through-walls part would be easy to achieve -- IF Creation Kit for FO4 actually worked as stated in various wikis and guides and/or had the same EffectShader settings as Skyrim.

Unfortunately setting Z-buffer (depth buffer) option to "Greater than" in EffectShader blend mode configs, which should mean the effect gets rendered on top of any geometry in front of the shaded object instead of being blocked by it, does not produce this result.

(I drove myself crazy finding this out so others wouldn't have to.)

It could still be done using custom particle shaders and the proper z-buffer settings/flag applied in the Nif instead.

@RC Ok, so was just wondering how/why the recon scope marker works.

(It does as you say, stays visible when behind things).

Otherwise, @PiperFighter

There are a lot of documented built-in features that haven't really been exploited or tested yet.

Open console and type togglewireframe, or togglelitebright (IDK if this works, but it's documented). :whistling:

But seriously, try messing with your ENB settings in the extremes.

With Sweet FX cartoon shader I momentarily was able to make my game look like a line drawing when tweaking settings...

In-game best bet might be to make some goggles(equip/unequip) or ingestible (over time) to test the effect before applying globally/permanently. :cool:

Wasteland Guardian has shield tech that puts a shader on the player, and has something like WTTO targeting lenses.

Just got Loot Detector loaded myself, can change the colors to your liking, dunno if you can make them all the same, but that might help.

Or a custom Imod can be made in CK to your own specifications, (or so I've heard). :geek:

Finally, there is the overlay method, which probably involves Flash on some level for your purposes and is not truly a recommendation.

As far as I figure sonar wouldn't look too much different except more monochrome, enb/reshade lower saturation, DOF, and lean on a color.

Like some one-off of "Love-Vision" from Wasteland Imports.

The signal still has to reach the brain in time to react normally so there wouldn't be a "pulse wave" per se.

The down-side to the whole thing is models don't have interior architecture (mostly facades, husks, empty shells).

A real case against previs/precombines and LODs? Maybe...

Regardless,

REMEMBER: You are not a submarine. :ermm:

The recon dot is a flash object accessible through other game systems so by default it disregards the depth buffer all together and renders on top.

Ok, cool, so that would be a likely target of the mod request.

Was thinking it would work sort of like that and/or overlays al la Fallout 2287

Is the recon dot similar to the green shader effect overlay on the startup/workshop cause that looks like a useful effect as well... [cite: WG, WTTO, LD].

My CK is real finnicky, So...

I have a pretty good idea what a lot of this stuff is doing, but I don't know how to get to it myself... :sad:

But that stuff uses action script, etc.. and I got no clue how to set up a workflow/edit for all that.

The recon dot is a flash object accessible through other game systems so by default it disregards the depth buffer all together and renders on top.

Ok, cool, so that would be a likely target of the mod request.

Was thinking it would work sort of like that and/or overlays al la Fallout 2287

Is the recon dot similar to the green shader effect overlay on the startup/workshop cause that looks like a useful effect as well... [cite: WG, WTTO, LD].

My CK is real finnicky, So...

I have a pretty good idea what a lot of this stuff is doing, but I don't know how to get to it myself... :sad:

But that stuff uses action script, etc.. and I got no clue how to set up a workflow/edit for all that.

The recon dot is just a diamond shape soaring above an actor. I think you mean the detect life effect added by a powerarmor helmet mod? That does look like the workshop effect (red scanlines instead of green(ws)). To implement a flash solution (i.e. scaleform/gfx) that renders outlines or even shader-like effects traced from the targeted actor, using the same principle as the recon scope, would take a lot of Flash design and ActionScript work. I have zero knowledge about that and I think I contracted a little nerve damage the other day trying to figure out of to tap into the UI targeting system. I would consider particle shaders unless you're a Flash-person.

Ok, so I;m just spit ballin' here but thinkin' like the poison body wash, or cryo effect on a ridiculous scale (like on everything you can see).

What is that? xshaderFX... in a perk, spell, MGEF... and apply skin to everything that HasLoaded3d? IDK! :unsure:

Sounds expensive (GFX/FPS), or not... :ermm:

Still pretty sure it would be easiest to test with goggles and not through whole game environment. :cool: