WHY? Steam and Yahoo

Dashyburn

I have quadruple guarded myself before the AE update by 1. setting steam to only update Skyrim when I say 2. backing up my Skyrim on 2 external storage devices, 3. setting the appmanifest to read only 4. setting steam in permanent offline mode. During this time there have been several steam client updates with no problems, client updates even in offline mode, well today the client updated in offline mode as normal but then when I went to start it in offline mode it just locked up on the 'connecting steam account XXX' box and became unresponsive. Reset the PC, tried again, locked up again and as a true sign of madness I attempted a third time, same result. Restarted again and this time tried online, it didn't lock this time but I had to put my password in then up came another screen asking me to prove I'm not a robot by clicking pictures of bridges, proved I'm not a robot then up came another screen saying I must go to my email and retrieve a code to put in as well. Logged into my Yahoo email forgetting that I have made a new one since and it would have been sent to that email account, signed out and went to log into the correct one to be met with the message "we are unable to perform this task right now, try again in 1 hour" Again, in a true display of madness I immediately re tried and up came the message again saying 59 minutes, still waiting for that 59 minutes to pass. But now, I'm really irritated, I've had a gut full of steam (not just cause of this, they have irritated me several times previously) so I'm really seriously thinking about paying Todd, again, for the GOG version so I can drop kick steam and its bulls*** once and for all, my potato will probably even be grateful for not having to run that useless unused or needed client in the background, I'm mad at yahoo as well for its bulls*** too, but steam was the instigator of the whole annoyance. I even have a bad feeling it's going to somehow stealth update me because I'm forced to go online, if it does, it will be the straw that broke the camels back and Todd will surely be getting more cash, again.

EDIT

Phew! got it sorted, what a hassle, wasted 2 hours of my life lol, but least it didn't stealth update me :smile:

Please lock the thread :)

Yea :smile: The state of the world has me whingeing, whining and moaning about everything no matter how minor now, when I'm normally quite a calm person, have started breathing exercises and watching Bob Ross in an effort to tone it down lol. However certain things cause a rage that makes this extremely difficult, such as all politicians, all of whom are as useless as a hat full of assholes, which you my friend are already highly aware of, so from now on I'll just take it out on them :smile:

Yea :smile: The state of the world has me whingeing, whining and moaning about everything no matter how minor now, when I'm normally quite a calm person, have started breathing exercises and watching Bob Ross in an effort to tone it down lol. However certain things cause a rage that makes this extremely difficult, such as all politicians, all of whom are as useless as a hat full of assholes, which you my friend are already highly aware of, so from now on I'll just take it out on them :smile:

I have an extremely low tolerance for stupidity.... and politicians demonstrate new depths of it every single day. It's depressing. :) Maybe the US NEEDS a good civil war, to oust some of our less savory 'leaders'...... Though I doubt it would really make much difference.

I have to vote in the Victorian state election on the 26th and I deem every single one of them unworthy of making me a cup of tea, let alone making decisions that affect my life. It's compulsory here, although you can just get your name ticked off and on the ballot form put something like "To the abyss with the lot of you" but there are some worse than others, eg the shooters fishers and farmers party, the equivalent of what you would call rednecks, lol, easing gun laws for most of the Australians I know would be a very bad idea. Firearms are heavily policed in Aus, all semi and fully automatic weapons are completely banned, to obtain a license for a single shot firearm you are first background checked into oblivion and need a very good reason why you need said firearm, then the police will do their own personal check and under no circumstances are you allowed to carry it around, it must be secured in the equivalent of a safe and I'd like it to stay that way. However I would like one law amended, if you are sitting in your home, peacefully, not harming a soul and have an intruder come at you, you must only provide reasonable non life threatening force in defence, if you whop them with a hammer and end them, you're off to prison for murder.

I have to vote in the Victorian state election on the 26th and I deem every single one of them unworthy of making me a cup of tea, let alone making decisions that affect my life. It's compulsory here, although you can just get your name ticked off and on the ballot form put something like "To the abyss with the lot of you" but there are some worse than others, eg the shooters fishers and farmers party, the equivalent of what you would call rednecks, lol, easing gun laws for most of the Australians I know would be a very bad idea. Firearms are heavily policed in Aus, all semi and fully automatic weapons are completely banned, to obtain a license for a single shot firearm you are first background checked into oblivion and need a very good reason why you need said firearm, then the police will do their own personal check and under no circumstances are you allowed to carry it around, it must be secured in the equivalent of a safe and I'd like it to stay that way. However I would like one law amended, if you are sitting in your home, peacefully, not harming a soul and have an intruder come at you, you must only provide reasonable non life threatening force in defence, if you whop them with a hammer and end them, you're off to prison for murder.

Hhhmmm.... If someone breaks into my house, with bad intent, they will be facing the business end of an SKS. Complete with 30 round mag. I am old, disabled, and VERY short on patience. If that someone is armed, they don't even get a 'drop it!' before I pull the trigger. I will put them down before they have a chance to harm me, or my family. (and that includes my pets......) (always remember, continue firing until you are SURE your target is no longer a threat.) I used to do the cop thing for a living. (military police) and folks that hoped to simply hold an intruder/badguy, until the cops showed up... well, we were usually cleaning THEM up... So, nope, no tolerance for folks in my home, that I did not invite.

If it was like that here, due to how Aussies have been schooled, break ins would instantly become a thing of the past, due to the fear of death. But yeah, I'm getting too old to deal with a younger stronger person coming at me so I will use the nearest object available and I have them stationed at all access points, regardless of what I'm told, like you, I declare no one harms my family or my little dog.

If it was like that here, due to how Aussies have been schooled, break ins would instantly become a thing of the past, due to the fear of death. But yeah, I'm getting too old to deal with a younger stronger person coming at me so I will use the nearest object available and I have them stationed at all access points, regardless of what I'm told, like you, I declare no one harms my family or my little dog.

I don't think a lot of the guys doing that kind of thing, even consider that the homeowner might be armed, and shock of shocks, FIGHT BACK. They seem to think that their knife/gun/whathaveyou makes them invulnerable, or that the resident won't really shoot them.... (and yes, many folks have been shot with their own gun, because they DIDN'T pull the trigger when they should have.)

Where I live, crime is pretty rare though. At least, so far as break-ins go. However...... there was an instance a few years back, where a few guys broke out of prison, (which is about 9 miles from me.....) broke into a home, raped the wife, and 14 year old daughter, stole whatever they could get their hands on, then stole the familiy's truck as well. At the time, the homeowner didn't have any firearms. Today, he has a concealed carry permit, and doesn't go ANYWHERE without his sidearm. I believe his wife got hers as well.....

I don't think a lot of the guys doing that kind of thing, even consider that the homeowner might be armed, and shock of shocks, FIGHT BACK. They seem to think that their knife/gun/whathaveyou makes them invulnerable, or that the resident won't really shoot them.... (and yes, many folks have been shot with their own gun, because they DIDN'T pull the trigger when they should have.)

Where I live, crime is pretty rare though. At least, so far as break-ins go. However...... there was an instance a few years back, where a few guys broke out of prison, (which is about 9 miles from me.....) broke into a home, raped the wife, and 14 year old daughter, stole whatever they could get their hands on, then stole the familiy's truck as well. At the time, the homeowner didn't have any firearms. Today, he has a concealed carry permit, and doesn't go ANYWHERE without his sidearm. I believe his wife got hers as well.....

Il's absolutely horrendous what some 'human beings' are capable of doing, I work with a universal rule of 'do not perform any action that will result in detriment of another soul' with the exception of poisonous animals and self defence. I also trust no one apart from family. It must be concerning to you that many unstable humans may be carrying a firearm on their person in the U.S., I'm extremely thankful for Australian laws preventing it, even security guards are not permitted. Only the police and a mob called 'Armaguard' are permitted firearms on their person, the latter are a group that carry large amounts of cash via an armoured vehicle for delivery, they have been permitted to take life to protect themselves and stinking money, I would chose unemployment and homelessness over that job, personally. A time ago I was walking my dog in a public park and there was an Armaguard employee sitting at the picnic table not guarding stinking money, she was eating lunch with a holstered firearm clearly visible, metres from children playing on swings and I verbally let her have it, big time, she won't make that mistake again. The law was slightly more relaxed, we have never been permitted to carry a firearm but we could own semi and fully automatic weapons up until 1996, until an insane madman stepped into a shopping centre, using an automatic weapon to murder 35 people and injure 23, the prime minister at the time immediately set the law banning these weapons, all of these weapon types were ordered to be handed in en masse and destroyed on the spot. It is extremely strict in Aus, although state laws may differ from my state but here you cannot have a Katana on your property, not even a decorative version, no nunchaku, sai, bow or crossbow, nothing, you can of course have things like baseball and cricket bats, so the only home protection without breaking the law is 'batter up!', even then you are not permitted to bash people to death, you can maim without going to prison but even maiming MAY lead to charges of assault, when it comes to self preservation during a home invasion in Aus, the law just plain SUCKS. We also have other primitive laws that need addressing, for example any product that contains Tetra Hydro Cannabinol 9 (THC) is a CRIMINAL offense, yet you can purchase and consume alcohol and nicotine lawfully, now I consume neither of those drugs but I tell you what I'd rather deal with a mellowed out stoner than a raging angry drunk.

I allow a certain population of spiders in the house. (non-poisonous) They keep the mosquitoes down. :) Any other critter, nope. My house, not yours. I also take exception to various critters residing in my outbuildings. Cats are ok, they serve a purpose, woodchucks, on the other hand, are far too destructive, and they don't live long. (if the dogs don't get 'em, I do.) We don't have too many poisonous critters around here, fortunately..... So not really a worry. Raccoons with distemper though, yeah, seen a few of those. I generally just capture, and export them. (by the time they are debilitated enough for me to catch them, they ain't long for this world anyway...... so, take 'em out into the woods, and let them die on their own terms.)

As for folks carrying weapons... The ones with permits are VERY seldom, if ever, the ones you need to worry about. It's the guys that can't legally even possess a firearm that you need to worry about. But, they are generally confined to the high crime areas in larger cities in any event. (the Cities nearest me are pretty small, under 40K population.) Not too much of a worry here. Mostly farmers and such around me, so, yeah, just about everyone has a gun, but, they don't, as a rule, tote them around everywhere they go.

Also, where I live, if you want to carry, you need a permit. That means background checks, and some training. I don't really have a problem with that. I see armed folks rather regularly, and it just isn't a concern. Contrary to popular opinion, we are not a society of gun-happy cowboys, that will shoot you for looking at them the wrong way. :D

Mass Shootings? Yeah, that's a problem. Trouble is, the politicians don't want to SOLVE the problem, they want to campaign about out, and fear-monger. The left would love to ban a selection of firearms, but, thinking that a 'buyback', or something similar would work, is a pipedream. Massachusetts tried that, and had less than five percent participation. (some folks thought even that number was on the high side.....) A 'forced' collection would never work here. There are literally millions of semi-auto firearms in civilian hands, and long guns are not required to be registered, so, who actually has them? The government sure doesn't know, and if they tried to implement some kind of search for them, in order to confiscate them, it would be instant civil war. The cops would NEVER go for it, and currently, it is not legal for the government to use the military to enforce laws. So, an Australian-style collection simply isn't going to happen.

And then there is the whole problem of: Banning a segment of weapons, will only prompt the mass-shooters to use another weapon. That would likely be something even more deadly than the evil black rifle. (AR-15, and its variants) You think those tiny little .223 slugs cause damage? Just think what a .308 would do... Not to mention that the favorite weapon of mass shooters is generally pistols, or shotguns..... For close-in work, such as a school.... the shotgun is actually more effective....

For the school shootings, the biggest problem, as I see it... is that Gun Free Zone designation. All they are accomplishing with that, is announcing to any potential mass-shooter, that here is a target rich environment, in which very few, if any, will be able to SHOOT BACK. It seems to escape the dems notice that most mass shootings (that aren't gang activity related) happen in gun free zones. There has NEVER been a mass shooting at a police station, or a gun range.... Imagine that. So, get rid of the GFZ designation, so there is a very real possibility that ANY adult on the scene, *might* be armed, and watch the number of school shootings decline dramatically. Will that stop all of them? Nope. I don't think its possible to prevent ALL of them. For instance, the Las Vegas shooting. Steven Paddock apparently planned that out in advance, had a pretty significant arsenal at hand, and was firing down into a large crowd. Sure, the venue was a GFZ, but, even if EVERYONE there had been armed, it wouldn't have mattered. Stevie was well out of range of any pistol, and I don't know anyone that regularly walks around with a sniper rifle. (which is what they would have needed.....) He was able to kill so many not because he was a good shot, but because he simply sprayed bullets into a crowd. Bump-stocks were banned very shortly thereafter...... Of course, anyone with a rubber band can accomplish the same effect..... Just doesn't happen often.

We had a mall shooter at one time as well, I think he managed to kill three, before someone with concealed carry permit took him down.

The church shooter in texas was also taken down by a civilian with a legal weapon. Unfortunately, that was AFTER he shot a bunch of folks in a church.....

The FBI also thinks that firearms are used 1-2 MILLION times a year, to stop, or prevent a crime.....

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. And THAT is a major issue. There are simply too many guns here in the US to ever expect them to go away. Besides, when has a ban of anything ever worked? Various drugs have been banned for decades, yet they are still easily available..... Even easier to get than illegal guns...... Of course, banning guns would have the same effect that prohibition did back in the 20's. A new black market would instantly pop up to supply that demand. That particular amendment actually helped CREATE the Mafia here in the US. Ooops. :)

A lotta states here have what is referred to as 'castle doctrine', or 'stand your ground'. Basically, it means you have the right to defend yourself, using whatever force is necessary. If that means the bad guy gets dead, so be it. He shouldn't have been engaging in whatever behavior that got him killed. He got what he deserved, and is NOT the victim. But, there are some states where that isn't the case...... In California, a buncha years back, a man broke into another man's house, was attempting to steal his television, (back in the days where they had that heavy CRT display) fell down the stairs, broke his leg.. Sued the homeowner, and WON!..... That one was a real head-scratcher for me. How in the world does such a decision make ANY sense at all???? Don't know if that decision was ever overturned, or, if things have changed since then.... but, I have no desire to move to California. :) Even though the weather is MUCH nicer than it is here. :D