XBOX 360 Menus onto the PC Version (.xml files)

SpetsnazDude

Hello.

A strange request from myself, but I had the burning desire to ask this question, and this question may be looked at as extremely strange - which it is; I'll try my best to explain what I want/need.

Righto, so recently I've gotten into F:NV and editing .xml files (menu files) and I was fiddling around within the files and noticed some commands - those being the following:

&xbox;
<onlyif> &xbox; </onlyif>

I have two guesses on what these do: one being that these are linked to the Xbox 360's gamepad ingame, or that these codes get loaded on the Xbox 360 console to activate certain commands that are not seen in the PC version.

Now here's my question: Is it possible to enable the Xbox's menu code on the PC via the use of small tweaks? The XBOX menu system is different, but only slightly (e.g. the [ PRESS START ] string is only enabled on the xbox version, any way of bringing that onto the PC's version? or am I just blind. hehe.)

Eh, I'm not expecting this to be answered quickly as this is a strange request; and if you're asking yourself 'Why in the hell would he even want the Xbox menu?' it's because I want to see if this - as crazy as it sounds - is even possible.

SO If you can help me, please do!

I'm off to bed now.

-Spets.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your question, but I believe the command &xbox; refers to the controller (which you can absolutely use with a PC) , rather than the console, and simply changes the menus to correspond and respond to the controller rather than the mouse and keyboard.

If you wanted to set it up to show the xbox layout for the menus (and, I believe, have it break when you try to use it with a mouse and keyboard :)) I'd imagine you could swap &xbox; for a custom variable, which you could set via script. That said, I haven't had reason to look at the file in question, so I can't say that this would definitely work, but it seems reasonable, at least to me.

I'm not sure why you want to do this, but good luck anyway! :)

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your question, but I believe the command &xbox; refers to the controller (which you can absolutely use with a PC) , rather than the console, and simply changes the menus to correspond and respond to the controller rather than the mouse and keyboard.

If you wanted to set it up to show the xbox layout for the menus (and, I believe, have it break when you try to use it with a mouse and keyboard :smile:) I'd imagine you could swap &xbox; for a custom variable, which you could set via script. That said, I haven't had reason to look at the file in question, so I can't say that this would definitely work, but it seems reasonable, at least to me.

I'm not sure why you want to do this, but good luck anyway! :smile:

Well, I'm just a strange person doing weird things to games - as shown from this, hehe. :tongue:

Also, what type of variable would I have to add? true and false statements (as there's an &true; and &false;)

I'll try something out.

Thanks for the feedback. :blush:

Spets

Also, what type of variable would I have to add? true and false statements (as there's an &true; and &false;)

I'll try something out.

Something like _MyVar, which you can set in a script with SetUIFloat

So, you'd want something like:

<_MyVar> 0 </_MyVar>
<onlyif> _MyVar </onlyif>

The script you'd write in the GECK would have the line:

SetUIFloat "StartMenu/_MyVar" 1

And to turn the menus off again, you'd use the same line but you'd just set it to 0.

I'll try something out.

Something like _MyVar, which you can set in a script with SetUIFloat

So, you'd want something like:

<_MyVar> 0 </_MyVar>
<onlyif> _MyVar </onlyif>

The script you'd write in the GECK would have the line:

And to turn the menus off again, you'd use the same line but you'd just set it to 0.

I understand some of this, and I'll get to doing this later.

The one thing I don't really get is the scripting part; would it be like the usual script?

e.g:

Begin gamemode (will this be completely removed?)

end

If you can get a script going for me I'll be thankful; you don't really need to do one for me, just explain the scripting part.

Sorry if I'm being an idiot, heh.

Thanks

-Spets

The script's just like normal, I'm just giving you the line that I think you'll need, rather than writing the entire thing. :smile:

If I were to write it though, I'd do it like this:

scn YourScriptName

short bDoOnce

begin GameMode

if bDoOnce == 0
        set bDoOnce to 1
    endif
end

Edited by Jojash

So, some things I might just bring up. (This may be a long one due to all the script I'll try to fit in.) :laugh:

Firstly, the fact that on the XBOX/PS3's version of F:NV there's a certain file called "final_master_xml.dat" which holds (apparently) the menus for the game; do you think that I might be able to transfer these files over onto the PC area?

Which brings me on to my next theory:

Is it possible to fool the game into thinking that I'm running on the Xbox? (via the use of scripts that is) as I looked deep within the .xml files and noticed that some strings (such as the [ PRESS START ] one) is visible only with &xbox;.

Here's the script from the aforementioned string:

<text name="press_start">
			<visible>
				<copy src="io()" trait="_ShowStart"/>
				<and> &xbox; </and>
			</visible>
			<x>
				<copy src="screen()" trait="width"/>
				<sub src="me()" trait="width"/>
				<sub> 500 </sub>
			</x>
			<y>
				<copy src="screen()" trait="height"/>
				<sub src="me()" trait="height"/>
				<div> 2 </div>
				<sub> 100 </sub>
			</y>
			<depth> 2 </depth>
			<string> [ PRESS START ] </string>
			<systemcolor> &hudmain; </systemcolor>
			<brightness> 0 </brightness>
			<font> 2 </font>
		</text> 

Another thing is the device code: (which is irrelevant on the PC version since we'll never need to change devices [HDD] ingame)

<hotrect name="main_device_button"> 
			<id> 15 </id>
			<include src="text_box.xml"/>
			<depth> 3 </depth>
			<visible>
				<copy src="me()" trait="_line_alpha"/>
				<gt> 0 </gt>
				<and src="me()" trait="user0"/>
			</visible>
			<target>
				<copy src="sibling(saveload_container)" trait="_enabled"/>
				<onlyif> &xbox; </onlyif>	<!-- Does not get overridden by user5 --> 
				<add>
					<copy src="sibling(options_container)" trait="_enabled"/>
					<onlyifnot><copy src="io()" trait="user5"/></onlyifnot>
				</add>
			</target> 
			<string> &-sDevice; </string>

Here's the controller code:

<user5> &xbox; </user5>	<!-- Using a 360 controller? -->

AND this is linked with 

<onlyif> &xbox; </onlyif>	<!-- Does not get overridden with user5 -->

I don't fully get what it means by "Does not get overridden by User5",
least I can guess is that it doesn't get overridden by an Xbox 360 gamepad;
even though I want it to do that.

As well as some code that I don't really get:

<_use_ps3_saveload_settings> &false; </_use_ps3_saveload_settings>

Sorry for the cluster of .xml code :sad: , this may save you the time of looking through the code; also note that this was found in the Fallout - Misc.bsa of start_menu.xml

-Spets :blush: P.S. Sorry for being extremely obsessive for something that doesn't really matter; I suppose once I put my mind to something I try to finish it. :geek:

Another thing: I'll get around to using your script soon and report back.

Firstly, the fact that on the XBOX/PS3's version of F:NV there's a certain file called "final_master_xml.dat" which holds (apparently) the menus for the game; do you think that I might be able to transfer these files over onto the PC area?

If you can, I'm afraid I don't know how.

Is it possible to fool the game into thinking that I'm running on the Xbox? (via the use of scripts that is) as I looked deep within the .xml files and noticed that some strings (such as the [ PRESS START ] one) is visible only with &xbox;

Again, not as far as I'm aware, however, replacing any instance of &xbox; with your variable will allow you to control when those things pop up. This is probably what you're going to need to do, if I'm understanding your goals correctly. If you do, you may want to backup your files first.

I don't fully get what it means by "Does not get overriden by User5"

As far as I can tell the <UserX> commands are for positioning. I would guess that User5 controls when to use the other Users for positioning. Perhaps the message indicates that these elements are not affected by it. I should say this is purely speculation, and I've got not solid ground for that, other than the comments next to the commands.

P.S. Sorry for being extremely obsessive for something that doesn't really matter; I suppose once I put my mind to something I try to finish it.

Well, what does matter at the end of the day, anyway? :smile:

Edited by Jojash

Well, I suppose I should thank you for your help, but sadly I've given up.

Moved on to Skyrim and other things; this was a pointless thing anyway.

Thanks for the assistance, and if someone could close this thread, it would be appreciated.

Edited by SpetsnazDude