Unable to install 4GB RAM Patcher Oblivion Mod on Steam Deck

UncleBushpig

Has anyone been able to install the Oblivion 4GB RAM patcher mod on their Steam Deck? The mod itself is a .exe and I'm unable to execute the mod because of the Steam Deck Arch Linux OS. I've tried to add it to steam non-game library then force run compatibility mode via proton but it just gives me a generic "can't execute" error. I've successfully installed a very light working list of mods all of which are .dll files but the 4GB RAM patcher is the first one for me that is a .exe

A second problem is that I can't seem to prevent MO2 from auto-launching when I go to run Oblivion via Steam. I just want the capability to run Oblivion completely Vanilla without MO2 launching and so I can also change video options on the Oblivion Launcher prior to loading the game. I've tried right click on the steam icon then left click Oblivion or even just starting Oblivion from my steam library list. Both methods auto launch MO2 and I don't know how to stop it from auto launching. I'd try just starting it from oblivion.exe in steamapps\common\oblivion, but alas this is the same issue listed above involving the 4GB RAM patcher. Seems like Linux can't execute .exe files. The Oblivion Launcher dropdown menu option in MO2 doesn't even work it just says "an instance of Mod Organizer is already running". I've also tried pulling MO2 folders out of the Oblivion folder but then the game just doesn't launch at all.

I feel like there are really easy solutions to these problems but I'm so unfamiliar with Linux, I'm literally the village idiot here. Your help and patience is appreciated.

TL;DR - I want to stop MO2 auto launching when I start Oblivion and I want to learn and understand how to run .exe files in Steam Deck Arch Linux OS

If it's possible to connect external disk to Steam Deck, I would simply copy the Oblivion.exe on it. Then I would patch it on win PC and lastly copy the changed exe back. Under Linux you will most propably need root priviliges to do it, depending where your Oblivion is installed.

But doesn't all GOG and Steam versions have 4GB patched Oblivion now?

If the steam version came prepatched it would of saved me a whole lot of frustration lol but I was able to patch the files on the steam deck using wine only after dragging out the files on to the desktop then dragging the duplicated and new copies back into the original directory. For some reason the mod won't let you "see" the hidden files that steam deck has set up already to hold the games.

Anyone have thoughts on stopping MO2 from auto-launching when I go to start Oblivion?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Steam version capable of running when you run Oblivion.exe itself? If yes, I would try to simply make small script which would launch for example Wine with Oblivion.exe as a parameter. It's just an idea, I too haven't experience with Wine or similar emulation under Linux.

Besides what is this 4GB patch capable of? When I applied it to an .exe, I see only two small changes in Oblivion.exe itself - first one is on $11E offset changing byte from $03 to $23. The second is on $160 offset changing byte from $57 to $77. Does these two changes really bring such difference or is it some urban myth like many register "tweaks" in XP era?