Skyrim mods with C++

iQChangeSkyrim

This is like saying, "I am an optics engineer. How can I make photographs without using a Camera?"

Sure, I guess, in theory you could write you own tools in C++ or patch the game code or something. But it would be much faster to just learn to use the tool that already exists. It's not that hard. And if your mod idea requires scripting in Papyrus, you'll have a head start there.

No....well I mean you could create 3rd party tools such as Nifskope, NMM, SKSE, WyreBash and the like. I don't really know about modding, you are better off as snapmoderator stated, helping one of the already mentioned 3rd party tools. I can tell you though that as a java software engineer I can create mods by using the Skyproc library, used to create mods such as ASIS, and Automatic Variants. So I recommend creating/supporting an open-source 3rd party tool, or learn Java (shouldn't be hard if you are a C++ programmer) to utilize the Skyproc.

*Note Skyproc does not create generic mods though, it is good for applying effects, meshes, spells and the like to multiple characters, npc's, locations, and other things, not for mesh editing, re-scripting the magic system, and things like that.

Hello!

I'm an C++ programmer, an I need to know: how can I make mods to Skyrim, whitout "Creation Kit"? I've tried to found some source code but i didn't found it.

Thanks.

SKSE Plugins are C++ DLLs, so that's where you would want to start the API isn't very well documented but if your skilled in C++ I don't see why you can't figure it out for yourself. The SRC for SKSE is included within the SKSE downloads, also a template plugin project as well.

This is like saying, "I am an optics engineer. How can I make photographs without using a Camera?"

Sure, I guess, in theory you could write you own tools in C++ or patch the game code or something. But it would be much faster to just learn to use the tool that already exists. It's not that hard. And if your mod idea requires scripting in Papyrus, you'll have a head start there.

I have to respectfully disagree. A lot of those resources out there are flawed and Skyrim has been out over a year and they haven't been fixed. For example, Nifskope is solid as a rock, it works great, but it's been around since what? Morrowind or Oblivion? They more or less know how to get it down. The nifskope plugin for 3ds max however is still bugged and tends to add new bones that don't exist on export, things like that.

The LOD and heightmap features in the CK are pretty poor. You can use TesAnwynn, but then you have to make your map from scratch in photoshop/gimp, or else learn a third party software like L3DT, or GeoControl. And all basically to be able to add LOD, because it's perfectly doable to create a new land in the CK from scratch and sculpt the world inside, but then you have no LOD (or at least I haven't been able to figure it out.)

If he's got the ability to write better programs, I say have at it.

Edited by Fistandilius