FPS Questions related to BC Waterfront and RAEVWD

geraintwd

Mmmm yes, I was getting the same crashes just before weye after the IC bridge.

Regarding OSR, I was referring to iHeapAlgorithm set at 6. I cant seem to find this iHeapmode setting in OSR? Which OSR are you using? I recommend the Tripple_WIP_4-1-26 version.

You need to make sure that heap managment is turned on in the OSR ini with;

bReplaceHeap = 1

which is under the Master section.

Heap management depends on iHeapAlgorithm and iHeapSize, these are my settings (6 and 1024 respectively)

Heap = {
_comment = Heap replacement can produce MAJOR improvements in performance on Oblivion at a significant cost in stability
_comment = It crashes instantly on Fallout3, and would only produce a small performance improvement there anyway
_comment = It is not supported at all on Fallout: New Vegas at this time
_comment = Algorithms: 1=FastMM4, 2=Microsoft (slow on XP), 3=SimpleHeap1, 4=TBBMalloc, 5=ThreadHeap2, 6=ThreadHeap3, 8=tcmalloc
_comment = Algorithms numbers 1, 4, and 8 require external DLL files in the Data/OBSE/Plugins/ComponentDLLs folder
iHeapAlgorithm = 6
bEnableProfiling = 0
iHeapSize = 1024
bEnableMessages = 0
iGenericFreeDelay = 0
bZeroAllocations = 0
}

In my experience, only iHeapAlgorithm 5 and 6 are stable. And yeah, anything over 1024 iHeapSize is very CTD prone, ive never seen anything higher than that :smile: Also you can play around with this value. Some people report better stabilty with settings somewhere between 512 and 1024. 768 is a good one to try.

Streampurge setting should also not be extreme high or low; 4 is the best setting for stability.

uGrids 7 will be very very difficult to get working on a heavily modded setup. It screws with physics and pathing as well, so even if you get it stable, the bugs that appear make it not worth it.

Also remember to drop ugriddistantcount to somewhere between 15 to 20 if useing RAEVWD, or use streamsight with correct fog values.

Hope this helps!

Well I don't know whether it was changing the streampurge setting to 4 or updating to the version of OSR you recommended with the settings you posted, but I have done both as you suggested and the areas where I had persistent crashes are now stable! Thanks a million MadWizard!

Back to the topic of Streamline, I think I learned my lesson with those streamsaves. I noticed the saves would start crashing more and more when they tried to save and when loading - both for Streamsaves and Manual Saves. I had to go back to saves that were stable, losing a lot of hours of dungeon-delving. So yeah, I do not recommend streamsaving either. Of course, it could have been one of my many other mods causing this problem... But the pattern seems like streamsave because this started happening after I told SL to do streamsaves outdoors (otherwise it barely ever happens), and I got progressively more crashes until my saves were virtually destroyed.

I tried ENBoost, didn't seem to get much of a performance boost, except maybe in the wilderness in some places. It's still just as laggy as ever in cities, though. Any tips on what ini settings to use? I tried to shut all the graphics stuff off but I didn't understand some of it. I'm either going to keep tweaking and searching for more ways of boosting FPS, or I might have to tearfully give up FCOM and maybe just use OOO, 'till I get a better PC. At least it's stable enough that I can run around for an hour or so with no crash. Thanks for all the advice.

Ive been testing out ENBoost more thoroughly recently. I dont think it helps either. Theoretically it allows the game to play past the 3.8GB RAM limit on x64 systems, and has been designed to work with Fallout 3. It is not designed to boost FPS but rather does some RAM VRAM trickery to avoid RAM limits.

I assumed it would work with Oblivion since Fallout 3 and Oblivion use the same game engine but it seems not. It activates with Oblivion, but does not seem to help. My game seems to crash once it gets close to 4GB RAM use, which is usually between 1 - 2h depending on what im doing in game. I suspect I may have a memory leak; this happens sometimes on heavily modded set ups.

In terms of the save game issues. Are you using any mods like kurtees CleanUp? Stable saves for me is manually saving frequently, never overwriting saves. I also use CleanUp, Actor Animation fixer and Wrye Bashes clean bloat and update NPC options. This seems to create the most stable save games for me.