Jobs of Skyrim: Don't let it die

CookieDynamics

I've recently discovered this mod here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25020/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D25020&pUp=1

Jobs of Skyrim allows the player to take professions other than "adventurer". This mod couples perfectly with "Alternate Start:Live another life".

This is specially good for starting phases of roleplaying experiences.

The problem is: Ever since December of 2012, the mod author has stopped working on this mod.

It is said on the description: *I AM NO LONGER UPDATING THIS MOD, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN TAKING OVER, PLEASE PM ME.

It seems that no one has taking over.
This thread here is just a heads up, if you are a modder, and you wanted a idea for a mod... why not continue this wonderful work here?

Please take that into consideration.

maybe you should elaborate what improvements you are looking for? Although I do have some in mind. I personally use it and I think it is a pretty solid mod. Only problems I have with it is how robotic the NPC's are (no "radiance"). I think all the job NPC's should be given names and lives and VOICE ACTING so they blend much better with Skyrim instead of just being these robots that stand around giving you jobs when you want them.

There is a voice acting module on the optional downloads, though.

Well, for me there are 2 things that should be added:

- Time delay while crafting things for the job. So the player won't instantly do the job.- Proper payment. Really... you spent the day working and the payment isn't even enough for you to buy a cheese + water. It's specially relevant when the player has "Realistic needs and Diseases" installed

-Also there would be needed a few tweaks on the jobs... Example:

* On this last play through I chose to work as a merchant assistant... this would be my "starting job for civilian me".

My character had only regular clothing and a dagger.

My boss said "Oh, I only need you to fetch a pair of iron gauntlets for me" ...
me: "Oh, sure thing... where?"
boss: "Here... inside this Necromancer lair full of draughrs, at the other side of skyrim..."

(I'm not kitting... I remembered the place... it's that dungeon where you free two ghost lovers from some crazy widow...)
(In total disbelief I decided to check really quick and sprinted my way into the dungeon... the gauntlets were deep inside... )

If the enemies weren't enough.... I'm 100% sure I would spend at least 5 times my payment (of 20 or 50 gold) just on food and supplies to travel there.

A job as merchant assistant should be "get this X amount of gold from me.... go to Y city, buy n units of Z item from the merchant there and bring them to me, so I can resell..... I'll share part of the profit with you"

If I wanted to fight draughrs, necromancers and things of the sort, I would choose mercenary, assassin, guard, bandit or any other carreer like that.
A merchant assistant shouldn't really be required to be a master swordsman.

That's true a lot of the jobs are just dungeon delving fetching jobs like the archeologist and merchant. I personally stuck with tailors, blacksmiths, priests, enchanters, and alchemists.

One question I have is: If I want to do an enchanting job I could talk to the court wizard, so why is it that I have to talk to a brand new NPC for blacksmithing, alchemy, merchanting, guarding, and priesting? Why cant the dialogue options just be on the original NPC's that already exist in the game like it is for enchanting with court wizards?? Ridiculous. Honestly, as fun, useful, and extensive as the mod is, it could seriously use a lot of work, I agree with you that someone should pick this mod back up.

Also thanks for letting me know about the voice acting optional download.

Edited by Tehandyman

One question I have is: If I want to do an enchanting job I could talk to the court wizard, so why is it that I have to talk to a brand new NPC for blacksmithing, alchemy, merchanting, guarding, and priesting?

Pretty good question.

I haven't thought about that .

• 6 months later...

I completely agree with you, this mod should be worked on again. I used it shortly, loved it, but finally uninstalled it after being slightly disapointed by the immersion breaking factors you've already mentionned, and by the fact that they weren't going to be fixed anytime soon. If someone were to continue the project, I would definitively download it again.