Jade Empire

Chaosmaker

When Jade Empire comes out will you get it?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. When Jade Empire comes out will you get it?

• Yes
    • Probally
    • Depends on the reviews
    • Not yet
    • No

Ive not heard of it. Is it an RPG or another sort? Who's developing it? Who's publishing it (the curse of EA is a worrying thing)?

Of course, i could go and find all this out myself. The question is: am i bored enough?

I probably will... after all, it's not often you actually get a half decent RPG for the XBox of all things. :P Both KotOR and NWN were brilliant at creating atmosphere, I hope they've kept it up with Jade Empire.

Ah, in that case, i won't be buying it. I will however watch the fan reaction with interest, since i'd like to see if it is released on a proper platform. Guess that explains why I'd never heard of it.

If Bioware's behind it, then it is pretty much guarentee(sp?) that it'll be good. I didnt like the style of NWN but i recognised a classic RPG. Knights of the Old Republic is brilliant. A good pedigree, then. Shame that Bioware didn't want to bring it out on PC.

Shame that Bioware didn't want to bring it out on PC.

That's because it's an RPG with a fighting-game styled combat engine. It's an RPG in that you level up, explore massive worlds, it has a storyline, you learn new techinques, etc... In effect, it's an RPG in every sense of the word, except the combat engine. The combat is in real time, and it is literally a fighting-game engine built into an RPG game. From a side view, you attack the other person, block, switch fighting styles, and do combos.

I just don't know if I trust Bioware to pull of a successful real time fighting engine. I love Bioware [bGII is likely my favorite game of all time, with NWN following close behind it on the list], but I'm not sure if they can pull this off smoothly.

Hope they do.

KOTOR was planned to be released on both XBOX and PC throughout the development cycle. The PC version, for some reason or another, just happened to come out later. Jade Empire, on the other hand, is only planned for XBOX. So I'd be surprised to see it on the PC.

I like the idea of the real-time combat immensely. I'm very much of a real-time person when it comes to my combat - turn-based doesnt seem to do it for me, i dont know why. I shall pay even closer attention to the game. I might even go to the game website, although the issue now is not whether i'm bored enough, but if im awake enough.

EDIT: As a testament to my sleepiness, ive just re-read Slaiv's post and discovered what it actually meant - combat from a side-on view, a la Street Fighter et al (I assume. I might have mis-interpreted your post). This interest and puzzles me. I can now understand why they didnt chose to bring it immediately out on the PC. Such a simplified combat system might have limited appeal. At the same time, though, it is something new, and is probably more exciting than Morrowind's fight system. I shall see...

Archived