Difficult, Enduring, & Masochistic Gameplay?

Solitude102

I'm the type of gamer that prefers to have an incredible challenge. I automatically set the upmost difficult level within many of my games; and I even go as far as setting up little rules for me to follow, and balance out aspects of certain games. That being said, I'd be interested in seing a discussion on what exactly people do for this particular game, in order to make it incredibly challenging for themselves.

While searching for answers throughout the internet. I have noticed that most folks have mentioned Requiem. I have not used that mod myself; and so I'm wondering what the popular opinion on that mod is and if it truly does make your game challenging? Is it also functioning with all DLCs and the latest Skyrim patch? I have heard many great things about this mod and hence I'm interested in trying it out. That being said, I have been using a different set of mods in which I think is equally -- if not much more challenging and to be frank... stupid hard (which I love).

The current setup that I use to achieve this consist of the SkyRE modules, WTF - Random Encounter Zones, The Way of the Dovahkiin - Ultimate Deadly Encounters aka Sands of Time, Enhanced Enemy AI, Enemy AI Overhaul - Revenge of the Enemies, Ultimate Combat. Dragons are a different matter so for them I use Deadly Dragons, Mighty Dragons, & Dragon Combat Overhaul. Finally, I usually finish the list with any mod where I can have multiple followers. Of course I tweak all these mods through the MCM menu to make them all more compatible with one another. I know these are not entirely needed, but I also fancy mods that add a larger range of enemies to the game (Immersive Creatures, or Monster Mod). And I also fancy mods that make key immersive changes which in itself makes the game more difficult by adding a layer of micro-management (Frostfall & RND) Now, I realized that this is quite a list of mods and so I have indeed experience a decent number of CTDs. I have made multiple strives to prevent them from happening less. I don't have the best PC and so I manage to play with what I could handle.

Any opinion on this current mod setup?

Do you feel this truly makes the game difficult?

If not, what do you use instead?

Is this just bound to create too much of an unstable mess? or can a good PC handle it?

Please tell me what you use! and explain the level of difficulty! I would like to know!

Notes

• One of the more important matters is the timed block function that is automatically added with Ultimate Combat. SkyRE does indeed have Timed Blocks, but it requires a certain set of levels and perks to achieve this. Having timed blocks right off the bat is essential for giving beggining characters a fighting changes with much higher level enemies. As long as you can endure your poor reaction timing for a gruesome ten minute battle (my experience xD).
  • Once more for Ultimate Combat & SkyRe's timed block functions. I set up the timed block ratio in Ultimate Combat to 0.4 (increase it from the default 0.3). I increase it by 0.5, & finally 0.6 only if I get the required perks through the SkyRe blocking tree. I'm also considering increasing the timed block function by 0.1 if I do decide to take any other timed block related perk in SkyRE, but I'm unsure on how balance this would be.
  • Dragons are insane. I normally don't try them till a certain level and even then they prove to be a challenge. Fighting dragons was when I first realized how useful spell wards are.
  • Sands Of Time has an intensive MCM menu. I modified it as I play through the game. As I learn of my eventual destiny as the Dragonborm and increased my celebrity status; I increase the chance of encounters. I make certain NPCs appear more often than another (Bandits for example). I always give wolves an Alpha male in their pack. I modified the spawn list depending on my sanity. Do I want to fight maybe 5 group of enemies at once at most? or perhaps 30!? (my PC can't handle that xD, but for those that can.)
  • When I created a stealth based character for the first time. I had a very difficult start. I could have easliy taken out one or two bandits -- but once the other five have been alerted; I had difficulty fighting them all without a giant overcoat of steel protecting me. However, I was a quicker and nimbler character and hence I realize that positioning and movement was key. Even then the game seemed much more difficult than when I played with my prefered warrior of steel. In the end though. I think I had an overall stronger character. I was able to kill more enemies without alerting others and the perks that I obtain through SkyRe were much more flexible and abroad.
  • Magic is very useful, but I never tried a full mage build. Honestly, I think a full mage build is not possible without having a companion with you 24/7.
  • Having a companion is very useful. Having two companions is even more useful. Having three or more companions might be a bit too useful...

Notes (In-Game Limitations and Rules)

In game limitations and rules can be quite neat. They can make your game difficult without even having to add any mods.

• Restrict yourself from using weapons and armor pieces that are too powerful for your current level.
  • Limit the number of potions and restoration spells you can use during a battle.
  • Do not quick save during a battle; just fight it through all the way.
  • If you want to be even more hardcore; do not quick save during a dungeon and/or quest.
  • If you want to be even more hardcore than hardcore; do not save at all! Go ironman!

I might have more to say, but I'm afraid I have to go. Thanks for reading and I would love to have your input on the matters I discussed.

Edited by Solitude102

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full Mage build: Conjurer and always have a dremora lord with you. So technically you don't have a companion. However, it's better to have one or two since you aren't going to be investing in stamina, so you need packhorses.

Ahh! I did this with my stealth character in order to lure the enemies away and either continue the ambush or flee. I never truly focused on it and just summoned weak-mediore creatures. I see how it can be useful with a mage build.. with slighty different tactics maybe. Conjured an ally, ressurect a fallen enemy and turn it into an ally! It is somewhat like having a companion, but I guess it techinically isn't xD. Perhaps also using the illusion tree and calm; or infuriate enemies. Along with the phantom images that are provided to you with the Illusion SkyRE perks. Place spell traps (similiar to the bear traps I laid with my stealth character.) The restoration and alteration tree can also bring in some interesting tactics. Hmm.. you're getting me thinking. I prefer to experience parts of the game solo, but maybe I will try a full mage build. I just never really focused on it. Thanks!

Edited by Solitude102

i'm glad to have read your topic, i have similar thoughts when it come to games, especially RPG's

take a look here at my Skyrim Dice System i created, this was initially an idea that tackled with the 'player death' scenario,

but i have since expanded it a bit further, maybe we can share some ideas :smile:

i really like your idea about limiting potion use in battle, and weapon/armor restrictions

http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/48298/?

Edited by baloo42

You know, I have brought up the possibility of a dead is dead mod. I cannot visualize how it might work or implement but it would be pretty damn awesome if the following could happen:

Example:

You die at level 7

Mod deletes all saved game files including quick saves and exports stats to a website that shows time of death, level and what killed you.

That would be awesome

Also, if you want to increase the actual difficulty and hardship of Skyrim, through the means of creating and increasing no's of random spawns

check out my full mod list, at this post, 'Random World Encounters'

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1249171-random-world-encounters/

i have a stack of other mods that generally increase the burden of gameplay, a few that boost, and stacks that add variety to items in general ... (which is also why i created the DIce System, to limit my acquisition of all these things, or more like penalize me -- kind of like a tug-of-war balance)

let me know if you're interested, and i could send you my full list

I really don't think you can get easily get what you are going for with SkyRe, it is to close to the original game to be "truly" masochistic, no matter what you add into the game, SkyRe is a gamers toolbox, which, while fun, means that no matter what challenge you face SkyRe has a fun little solution to make it not challenging anymore. While some players like this, I like it when game worlds don't revolve around the player, changing dynamically toy our skills and levels, which WTF attempts to fix for skyre, but the result is more of "f*** you dice" then a true decentralization of the world.

Let me give you an idea of my current build.

Requiem is the base instead of SkyRe, now requiem is my choice because it unlevels the world, certain groups of enemies are always, and will always be in certain general level areas. if you fight a group of bandits at level 6 and have moderate trouble taking them out, you should not have the exact same amount of trouble taking out a very similar group of bandits at level 30. Also, a draugr that proves to be almost impossible to kill at level 30 should not even be physically possible to fight at level 6. Requiem works under this concept, certain enemies are a certain way and you can expect them to always be that certain way, rather then changing randomly or scaling with your level. In addition to this, it "humbles" everything in the game, and adds a gritty realism to it. if you walk around with no armor, you will get one hit kill with almost any weapon in the game, if you hold up a shield you can block almost any weapon in the game, you have to think about things very realistically. If you put yourself in your characters shoes, if you were level 3, just fresh off the boat in skyrim with some crappy iron armor you clobbered together literally out of pots and clothes irons, do you really want to try your luck fighting a troll? Or worse, a dark dungeon full of ancient, unfeeling walking corpses covered in heavy armor? Requiem also balances combat, almost any two human enemies can kill one another given the right chance, it's purely armor, weapons, and skill that decide who wins, not obnoxious levels or dumping tons of perk points into one weapon skill. IN addition, health potions are kind of like how you describe, you can't spam them in combat, since they do not heal you all at once, but instead activate a passive healing bonus that heals you slowly over time and does not stack with other health potions, so if you drink two back to back, you just waste one.

To add to this I use Immersive creatures, Immersive Armors, and Immersive Weapons, these not only add in a lot of variety to the game, they increase the difficulty, in some cases just uping the chances of enemies having some nasty gear, or in the case of SIC, adding in tons of powerful enemies with new and unexpected features.

I also use Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases, these two make the world of skyrim feel like an enemy itself, and making traveling all that much harder.

The final mod I use is the ultimate compliment to Requiem, Locational Damage. it makes it so that where you hit an enemy not only changes the damage, but can apply certain short term effects. For example, shooting someone in the head with an arrow can always result in a kill shot, but hitting someone in the ankle with one may not be a kill shot, but will lower the speed considerably. Due to Requiem making stamina the fuel of battle, making the battles WAY shorter makes it feel more balanced. it's fair to use up a third of your stamina in one swing if that one swing will probably kill the enemy if you plant it in there fast or chest like a pro. I also play with my crosshair disabled, as it's unfair that you can aim at your enemies with precision and they don't aim at all. lol