Mailboxes - a Supplementary Mod

Tehandyman

So I recently got the idea to have mailboxes at all the player homes (or placeable mailboxes for custom player homes). What this aims to do is pave the road for a new type of mods and some existing mods that have been looking for something like this to help make their mods more immersive and believable.

Have you ever been wandering around in Skyrim in GODS know where, and you are just maybe sitting on some iceberg wondering how the hell you go there when suddenly a courier appears out of nowhere and hands you some inheritance money like ?!?!??!???!?? hOW ARE YOU HERE. How did that courier find you and even follow you to this gods forsaken corner of skyrim? It totally breaks immersion and then you have that awkward moment where the courier just stands around as if waiting for you to tip him or something and I usually just end up killing that sonofabitch just to break the awkwardness (killable couriers mod :tongue:).

While this mailbox mod will definitely take care of those scripted in-game deliveries, it can also do MUCH more. This mailbox mod aims to connect you to the other people of Skyrim, something that the game itself doesn't really do too well on a large scale. While this mod doesn't aim to add actual scripts that send mail to your mailbox, other mods now have a outlet with which they could make mods like this. Here are a few ideas for how a Mailbox mod could be utilized for other mods:

• Mercenary Jobs: "Calling all Mercenaries! I've got a nice, hefty bag of gold for the first person to...."
  • Gifts, Offerings, and payments: "Thank you again for .... Enclosed is a little something I put together to show you my gratitude."
  • Salary Mods: self explanatory
  • Assassin Jobs: "I've got a... 'skeever problem' that needs to be taken care of..."
  • Advertisements: "Come down to the freshly stocked Bits and Pieces! We've got everything, even that vase that looks suspiciously like the one you threw out last friday!"
  • Special Events of Tamriel: Get updates to what events are going on today, and birthdays of close friends coming up or currently happening.
  • Merchanting: "Hi, I was looking for a.... and I am told you are the person who can find it for me!"

As you can see, there are a variety of ways a Mailbox mod could be used to add immersion and life to Skyrim in a way that hasn't been done before. If this mod gains enough popularity, it could become a staple of Skyrim modding and many mod authors would perhaps incorporate it into their future works. The work for this mod is very minimal as all that needs to be done is create a model for a lore-friendly mailbox and then have them placed at player homes all over Skyrim (or like I mentioned earlier, a spell (?) that can let you place these mailboxes whereever you want.

The idea for this mod, I was actually inspired by Special Events of Tamriel where the author had a problem with how to relay information to players in a way that did not break immersion but rather pulled the player into the game even more.

So tell me what you think and if this mod has the potential to take off and become something big. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Tehandyman