PC Vista Fallout 3

Hey! I did all the neat things to make my PC run Fallout 3 so I did not have to play signed in to LIVE. Now I can't get Broken Steel because when I click on Live all it does is turn all the other white lettered switches off.

I have Vista Ultimate installed in 64 bit format, it provides two Program Files folders, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit software.

Program Files (x86) It also provides for 8 GB RAM support.

FOMM v9.14, I have FOSE, I have Archiveinvalidation nomore, and I can't get signed in to LIVE so I can get the new DLC.

I uninstalled FOMM as suggested in the Readme, I uninstalled, FOSE too, but I still can't sign in to LIVE to get the latest DLC.

If anyone has a simple work around it would be nice.

I am so tired of uninstalling and reinstalling and uninstalling and reinstalling, I am beginning to lose interest in playing the game.

I could help with Vista game PC owners, but I am not qualified to explain what I have learned to anyone who games on an XBOX or a PS3.

(note to all gamers: The Fallout 3 Technical support area should have brothers and sisters titled, "PC XP Fallout 3; PC Vista 32 bit and 64 bit Fallout 3; XBOX360 Fallout 3; PS3 Fallout 3". Than I would not find myself, like others have here, trying to help someone with an XBOX or a PS3 that just wandered in from the Cold cruel Cyberspace and seeks help signing on a PC instead of an XBOX discussion area, or a PS3 owner talking in PC which only tangles my poor old mind up in knots when I realize I just gave someone instructions for the Vista version that has either of the ones I don't know a thing about.")

From the FOSE site

* FOSE is incompatible with Windows Live, so when running via fose_loader.exe, Live will be disabled. As Live operates as a cheat-detection tool similar to Punkbuster or VAC, FOSE's in-memory modifications are inherently incomptible. Don't worry about being banned or anything like that, everything still works when running Fallout normally. To download DLC, launch fallout3.exe directly instead of via the loader. After downloading the DLC, you will then need to move the DLC files in to the Fallout data folders to use them like any other mod.

10:48 PM MDT

I will try that start the game from Fallout3.exe.

10:50 PM MDT I clicked on it from the Fallout3 folder and the game screen came up and blinked out, Windows message for reporting problem appeared.

10:51 PM MDT Completed another test. I tried it one more time to be sure and Windows message says, "Fallut 3 has quite working" again.

11:05 PM MDT Completed test-- I turned off FOMM Fake Xlive.dll I tried to start the game. Crashed. I checked to see if the ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated was on it was off, clicked on Fallout3.exe again, crash.

11:08 PM MDT Completed test -- I clicked on Games For Windows Live Disabler. It tried to load up. Message said, "another UI mod has been detected cannot finish." I looked at it and the button showed it was not turning off the GFW settings. Tried Fallout3.exe, crashed.

I have the lastest FOSE and have followed the instructions, but game won't load the main window to reach the Continue, Save, Load, etc window.

11:22 PM MDT I just verified, I have the 1.1 beta 6.7z.

11:25 PM MDT Clicked on Game Launcher, Game loaded after clicking play.

11:28 PM MDT Clicked on FOSE 1.1 beta 6.7 and got the message, "You have an unknown version of Fallout, check the FOSE site for updates, etc."

11:50 PM MDT Downloaded latest Fake Patch and was able to get to the area needed to download Broken Steel.

12:19 PM MDT Still waiting for the download to finish so I can see if I can play the game with FOSE 1.1 beta 6.7, FOMM v9.14, and to see if I need to do anything else. Or find out if I can even get the game to run from the Launch Fallout3 starter.

12:31 PM MDT Clicked FOMM just to see if I could launch the game from there. Got the same message about having an unknown version of Fallout, etc..

12:31 PM MDT Clicked on my Short cut for FOSE to open GECK Editor exe, and it works fine.

Note; When I did a clean install I installed patch 1.0.0.xx, I skipped patch 1.4, and when I got connected with GFW LIVE it installed patch 1.5. When I opened the launch executable window to start Play I found that the Fake Patch was listed. I did not have it checked in the Launch window Data when I down loaded Broken Steel, but I had it checked in FOMM when I downloaded Broken Steel from GFW LIVE. I cannot start the game from FOMM, FOSE, or Fallout3.exe. Only from the launcher and after I signed into LIVE this morning and played for a minute or two the note popped up on the screen, "Broken Steel has loaded and I will be able to reach level 30." I played the game for five minutes from the LIVE set up, with the Fake Patched checked in the Launchers Data folder and the game crashed when I tried to save.

Saturday May 30, 2009

1:32 PM MDT I found that Data in the Launcher is showing all the mods. I then checked the Fake Patch 1.5 and played. Game crashed when I tried to save just after walking the charater from Vault 101 to Megaton. I have turned off all the bSaveOn functions and can travel through doors, fast travel, and such. I just can't save the game, anymore, even manually.

I am going to try using FOMM to set up the mods so that Fallout3.esm is first, all the graphics, texture, and weapons mods are last, and the companion mods are in between.

I don't know if it would make a difference in your situation but I'm curious if you have Fallout 3 installed under "Program Files"?

that alone can cause some problems. Sorry if I am just grasping at straws here

I don't know if it would make a difference in your situation but I'm curious if you have Fallout 3 installed under "Program Files"?

that alone can cause some problems. Sorry if I am just grasping at straws here

No problem, everyone else is. As with most cases I need some fact based information about the game and the patches. Mods too. Today's versions are creating mod nightmares that effect Bethesda GECK structure. I suspect I will have to choose to play the game without loading up and Signing on with GFW LIVE so I can play the mods created with GECK offered here.

I have a Problem too.When I want to install the FO3 patch 1.5 (I have to because FOSE is wanting it :-( ) first there comes a message: FO3 is about to be updated on 1.5.

Okay,then I'm waiting and on 13% it stops.I wait,then it immediately jumps to 100%. But when I start FO3 or FOSE, they say, I have 1.0!

What am I doing wrong? Thx CH97

Experiment: Thursday, June 4, 2009...

I copied the Data folder loaded with all my favorite mods, I uninstalled the game using REVO Uninstaller (A Free Uninstaller), I wiped out all the folders Bethesda, Fallout3, and files for fallout 3. I removed all the Fallout 3 and Bethesda stuff from the Regedit keys and rebooted. I ran Max Registry cleaner (Shareware) to see if there were any more left overs.

I installed the game, only this time with no mods, no help from any of the special software kits. I set it up using the Games for Windows LIVE, patch 1.5 downloaded, and I downloaded all the DLC's.

I tried to launch the game using Fallout3.exe, it began to load and crashed.

I used Fallout3launcher.exe and it loaded up. I signed in LIVE, played the game without a drop, ctd, or BSoD and I quit three times after one hour game sessions. I finally quit for the night after the third test.

The only problem is getting the game to shut down completely after I clicked on Quit. It left me with a black screen three times. I have the DLC's: Op Anhorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel all loaded.

The only thing I had to do each time I played was use the Cntrl, Alt, Del buttons to open the Task Manager so I could close the game down all the way.

Archived