d3d9.dll causing big trouble

mango77

(Sorry for mistakes, english is not my native language)

Hi there,

I figured out that the following issues are caused by the d3d9.dll that comes with mods like ENB or Enhanced Skies.

To help improve fixing this problem, here's my system:

Acer Aspire 5750g (Notebook)

Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40GHz

8.00GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics Family (Integrated)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

500GB HDD

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit

My Fallout 3 Version:

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition - German

Patched to 1.7

Clean version, no mods.

So here's the problem:

When I start the game using the fallout launcher or the mod manager launcher everything is perfect. In the game settings my NVIDIA videocard is always selected (and i cannot change it, which i like, so it always uses the good videocard)

But as soon as I install mods like ENB or Enhanced skies (which i really want to play with) those launchers automatically select the crappy integrated Intel videocard which is absolutely useless to play games with.

And even if I try to start the game with the Intel videocard just to look if the mod is working, it crashes as soon as i load the game.

I realized that the d3d9.dll is causing these issues beacuse if i delete this file the game launchers select my NVIDIA card again, just like before, and everything works - except the mod of course which obviously needs the d3d9.dll.

I have no idea why it has to be like this. It's f**kin annoying.

Well i tried to deactivate the integrated Intel videocard, so that my notebook only uses the nvidia, but that ended up in my notebook not "turning on" the display at all.

I also tried to force run the game with the nvidia card, but this doesn't work either.

I hope those information are good enough to help me solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Mango

Possible similar-issue

Possible answer

Some suggest to copy that d3d9.dll from the windows/system32 folder to your FO3 GOTY folder.

Check the interwebs about steps to MAKE SURE INTERGRATED GRAPHICS are OFF. Very impotant for any game/system stability.

Complete FO3 GOTY install-guide

Edited by danielcook