Map Markers Missing

After attempting to install Open Better cities the map markers for all the cities in the inventory screen worldmap have disappeared. When starting a new game the only markers that are available are DLC markers, Unique landscape markers, and the anvil docks. Is there a menu file that I need to rewrite? and if so, which one is it?

• 4 months later...

I'm having a similar issue. I've noticed that some map markers seem to randomly disappear. I thought that I might have been imagining it at first, but I'm certain about the most recent case. I distinctly remember having found Nocturnal's Shrine earlier and then using its map marker to fast travel to the area east of Leyawiin some time after that. When I decided to start Nocturnal's quest a while later, I was surprised to see that the map marker had disappeared. I tried going there again without using fast travel to see if I could just add it to my map again, but when I got there, the map marker didn't even show up on the HUD compass.

I opened the console and saw that there were several error messages:

Invalid array access - the array was not initialized.

File: Map Marker Overhaul.esp Offset: 0x00000B3A Command: Let (0x1765)

Error in script 1f000ed3

Operator | Failed to evaluate to a valid result.

File: Map Marker Overhaul.esp Offset: 0x00000B3A Command: Let (0x1765)

Error in script 1f000ed3

Invalid array access - the array was not initialized.

File: Map Marker Overhaul.esp Offset: 0x00000005 Command: eval (0x1769)

Error in script 1f000ed3

Operator | Failed to evaluate to a valid result.

File: Map Marker Overhaul.esp Offset: 0x00000005 Command: eval (0x1769)

Error in script 1f000ed3

An expression failed to evaluate to a valid result.

File: Map Marker Overhaul.esp Offset: 0x00000011 Command: <unknown> (0x4200)

I'm guessing there may have been more messages listed before these but they may have been cut off.

I tried deactivating Map Marker Overhaul, but when I loaded the game, all of the map markers were gone! Even all of the ones for the cities that are there when starting a new game were gone.

I tried renaming the Oblivion.ini file in My Documents, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

I tried deactivating all of the mods to see if it would show up in Vanilla, but I got some strange results. When starting Oblivion, it would always freeze with an image of the loading screen if I press Esc to skip the intro (Bethesda logo, 2K logo, etc.). If I waited for the menu to fully load, I could select a save game to load, but then it would immediately freeze after confirming the selection. I reactivated all of the mods that I was using earlier and was back to where I started (able to run the game but with missing map markers).

I tried only disabling some of the mods that I knew used OBSE v0018, making a save game, and then activating the mods again (read this suggestion somewhere on another forum). This got rid of the error messages, but the map markers are still missing.

Here is the list of active mods from the Wrye Bash bashed patch output (after running BOSS and manually moving a few mods in OBMM):

Active Mods

• 00 Oblivion.esm

• 01 All Natural Base.esm [Version 0.9.6]

• 02 HorseCombatMaster.esm

• 03 HrmnsOblivionScriptOptimizationv1.0.esp

• 04 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.2.0]

• 05 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]

• 06 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

• 07 DLCShiveringIsles.esp

• 08 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.4.0]

• 09 LoadingScreens.esp

• 0A All Natural - Real Lights.esp [Version 0.9.6]

• 0B All Natural.esp [Version 0.9.6]

• 0C All Natural - EW + NW + AWS.esp [Version 0.9.6]

• 0D Enhanced Water v2.0 HD.esp

• 0E Symphony of Violence.esp

• 0F AmbientTownSounds.esp

• 10 MIS New Sounds Optional Part.esp

• 11 WindowLightingSystem.esp

• 12 AliveWaters.esp

• 13 AliveWaters - Koi Addon.esp

• 14 AliveWaters - Slaughterfish Addon.esp

• 15 bgShaderStandAloneEV.esp [Version 1.0EV]

• 16 DLTIC-1-6.esp [Version 1.6]

• 17 ChaseCameraMod.esp

• 18 P1DmenuEscape.esp

• 19 RD-TimeKeeper-v1-3-5minUpdate.esp

• 1A Skillbookssave.esp

• 1B TryBeforeYouBuy.esp

• 1C Harvest[Containers].esp

• 1D Harvest[Containers] - Player Home Add-on.esp

• 1E Harvest[Containers] - Flat-Top Barrels Add-on.esp

• 1F Map Marker Overhaul.esp [Version 2.3]

• 20 Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp [Version 1.0]

• 21 HouseMapMarkers.esp

• 22 DLCHorseArmor.esp

• 23 DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

• 24 DLCOrrery.esp

• 25 DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.3]

• 26 DLCVileLair.esp

• 27 DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

• 28 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

• 29 DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.4]

• 2A DLCSpellTomes.esp

• 2B DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]

• 2C Rope Ladders v1.esp

• 2D DLCThievesDen.esp

• 2E DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

• 2F DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.4]

• 30 FarmAnimalsofCyrodiil.esp [Version 1.4]

• 31 TIE.esp

• 32 allinonebasement.esp

• 33 DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

• 34 DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.4]

• 35 DLCFrostcrag.esp

• 36 DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.4]

• 37 Knights.esp

• 38 Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9]

• 39 Harvest [Flora].esp [Version 3.0.0]

• 3A Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.0.0]

• 3B Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp [Version 3.0.0]

• 3C Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp [Version 3.0.0]

• 3D ActorsHaveTorches.esp

• 3E Enhanced Vegetation [100%].esp

• 3F tag_NaturalWildlife.esp

• 40 Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp [Version 3.1.1]

• 41 Quest Award Leveller.esp

• 42 Quest Award Leveller - Battlehorn Castle.esp

• 43 Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp

• 44 Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp

• 45 Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

• 46 RealisticForceHigh.esp

• 47 RealisticMagicForceHigh.esp

• 48 LightSpellWhiteDimmer.esp

• 49 Stealth Entrances v1.esp

• 4A RenGuardOverhaul.esp

• 4B RenGuardOverhaulShiveringIsles.esp

• 4C TRN One of the Gang.esp

• 4D Enhanced Grabbing.esp [Version 0.4]

• 4E Smarter Mercantile Leveling - Multi.esp

• 4F SD Skill Diary.esp

• 50 RealisticLeveling.esp

• 51 All+5AttributeModifiers.esp

• 52 _darker_dungeons.esp

• 53 EyelashesVannilaRaces.esp

• 54 _burning_kvatch.esp

• 55 1310-Chamelion-NoRefraction-TESSource.esp

• 56 Life Detected - OMOD.esp

• 57 Real Lava 1.3.esp

• 58 SwampGrass.esp

• 59 fog.esp

• 5A FOV Modifier.esp

• 5B Blackmarket.esp

• 5C Oddbasket Glass Replace ALT.esp

• 5D Deadly Reflex 5 - Timed Block and 250% damage.esp

• 5E DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For rogue1112002

Yup, Its a feature of OOO. If setup OOO as an .omod which I recommend, its one of the options during install. But read carefully when installing the OOO.omod features. Its setup to include all the features like the no map markers and you have to install an optional plug-in thats packaged in the .omod to turn it OFF. So if you WANT and feature say NO and if you DONT want a feature say YES lol. If your not useing the OOO.omod then read the readme CAREFULLY because youll probably just have to install the NO invisible mapmarkers plugin yourself manually from the .Zip archive. hope this helps! GOOD LUCK

ALSO Im pretty sure Better Cities is incompatible with your FCOM setup

For Brain03

oh and for you brian03 Map Marker Overhaul (which is awesome) stores its information in an .ini which should be in "\data\Ini\ Map Marker Overhaul.ini" check to see if you have that. if you dont you installed it wrong and should try again. I could be wrong though? check that

The Map Marker Overhaul.ini seems to only contain the same settings options that it prompts you for during installation (Vanilla or non-vanilla map icons, show Ayleid wells, Wayshrines, etc.). I tried deactivating the mod and reactivating it choosing the "don't use ini file" option to see if it would somehow reset the map icons or do anything else, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though, scrivener07.

I typed "tmm 1" in the console to see if that would force the game to show the missing map marker (in case it was just stuck as hidden), but it still didn't show up. While doing this, I noticed that the map marker for the Chorrol House (from the House Map Markers mod) is also missing . I'm certain that it should be there because I know I've been to the Mages Guild right next to it. All of the house map markers are showing in the other cities, and the only one I own so far is the one in Anvil.

Is there a game file that contains the map icon and location data that could be edited to fix this? Maybe whatever the map mods reference to have their custom map icons show? I have several mods that add non-vanilla map icons to the map (Map Marker Overhaul, House Map Markers, Rope Ladders, and possibly Stealth Entrances). Does anyone have an idea where I could go from there? Thanks.

Tried that before but didn't see any change.

Both missing map markers are still present in an earlier save game, so this problem might not be (or is no longer) a mod issue, even if it may have been caused by one at first.

Is there a way to edit save game files so that the markers from the earlier save game can be extracted/copied to the current one? I don't want to have to start over from the earlier save game to fix this if I don't have to.

I dont think there is a way to do that. You may have to just start again from your last working save at this point thats what I would do as sad as it is. Ive wrecked my saves before so bad Ive had to start over in the prison :wallbash:. I learned to make saves like its giving me a high. The more saves you have the less progress you lose when bad stuff happens. I save every 3-5 min or after a do anything. good luck I hope everything works out for you

• 5 years later...