Controls stop working after a few minutes

DiegoReyes1995

In theory it can be mods which are using DisablePlayerControls or DisableMouse/DisableControl commands and aren't handle them properly (for example through save loads), but it seems it would be something in your system. Is this happening for keyboard, mouse or both?

You can try to set "bBackground Mouse" or "bBackground Keyboard" to 1 in Oblivion.ini (it's located in directory where game saves are) and see if it improves things.

If it's not helping, try to recall if that was some driver/codec updates, more important if you're using some gamer keyboard/mouse.

In theory it can be mods which are using DisablePlayerControls or DisableMouse/DisableControl commands and aren't handle them properly (for example through save loads), but it seems it would be something in your system. Is this happening for keyboard, mouse or both?

You can try to set "bBackground Mouse" or "bBackground Keyboard" to 1 in Oblivion.ini (it's located in directory where game saves are) and see if it improves things.

If it's not helping, try to recall if that was some driver/codec updates, more important if you're using some gamer keyboard/mouse.

I did the bBackground Keyboard/Mouse thing and still have the bug. I did a reinstall and a verification and still. The main difference is that now the game last like 30 minutes before the controls stop working.

I also use a normal wired keyboard and mouse.

I fear is a codec issue since Windows 10 tends to update constantly and maybe a sound codec is no longer compatible, but I have little evidence for this.

Edited by DiegoReyes1995

In Win 10 can you not see the update history via the Control Panel (I'm at Win 7 dinosaur, so I have no idea how much Microsoft's 'improvements' took away from what you can or can't do in Win 10).

I think a codec would be responsible for slowdowns or stuttering when playing sound or music, but I never heard of one which could disable keyboard or mouse control. But if you use some 3rd party codec packs, you could try to uninstall them, and reinstall them later (assuming you still have the archive), to prove this theory.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but I never heard this issue happen before, and I myself am on a modern Windows 10 gaming computer! I do also have a couple of questions for you, too! 1. Are you on a 4080p setup and have your Oblivion resolution set at 3840 x 2160 for 4080p monitors? and 2. Do you have your system and Oblivion game set for Ray Tracing? I hear either of those settings may interfere with the keyboard/mouse settings, but am not 100% sure on that as it happened to a friend of mine who also plays Oblivion, but on a far more modern system than what I have, and with 4080p set up and ray tracing enabled, and his keyboard and mouse gives out on him at times on Oblivion!