Certain meshes destroy FPS, but only in certain locations - Why?

Lollia

For some time now, I have been trying to help someone solve an FPS issue that takes place primarily inside of Treva's Watch (not the interior with the escape tunnel, but the larger section of the fort).

I have had similar woes with that very same location in the past, but it was pretty easy to ignore, so I let the matter drop--until I discovered that the Ragged Flagon was beginning to act up in much the same way: My FPS would plummet and the game would slow to a hypnotic crawl.

The Thieves Guild is normally not something I play, so I have not had cause to visit the location since...oh, about 2017 or 2018, which was about the time I installed some mesh replacements. This is relevant because I currently have no mods loaded that are touching any of the cells connected to Treva's Watch or the Thieves Guild locations.

The primary culprit appears to be some meshes related to lighting--sconces and the like. In Treva's Watch alone, my FPS went from a mere 5 up to 29 once I pulled out the folder they were in! I still need to compare notes with the other afflicted person, but I'm betting this will help root out their problem as well.

I suppose my purpose in writing this is to ask why this would happen. I know nothing of how meshes work, but I do know the origin of these meshes and that they were from a very reputable creator. The size of the nifs appear reasonable to me, and in other areas of the game that they appear, no behavior like that which I have encountered in Treva's Watch or the Ragged Flagon occurs. I am quite mystified by it all, and was wondering if anyone could share some insight. :huh:

One thing can happen when you have a mod that changes the mesh for something, say a juniper tree, and that mesh keeps the vanilla texture and then you have a different mod come behind that changes the texture for juniper trees which amounts to you having a different mesh provided from mod A that has a texture put onto it from mod B that is not compatible.

This outlined scenario could be off, I dont remember exactly what happened to me with similar issue( which had to do with juniper trees) but i remember in one fashion or the other it had to do with two different mods that were changing meshes/textures on juniper trees and in game i was coming across juniper trees that did not have compatible meshes and textures.

I was in wilderness and my fps tanked hard, I knew something was wrong so I used console to delete things on screen and quickly found that deleting the juniper tree i was seeing in game made my fps go back up, using MO made next part easy as I pulled out the meshes and textures for juniper tree from backup files that i have and threw them,with proper folders,into my MO mods folder and used MO front page to then tell me what other mods in my load order were touching those meshes and textures

• 4 weeks later...

One thing can happen when you have a mod that changes the mesh for something, say a juniper tree, and that mesh keeps the vanilla texture and then you have a different mod come behind that changes the texture for juniper trees which amounts to you having a different mesh provided from mod A that has a texture put onto it from mod B that is not compatible.

This outlined scenario could be off, I dont remember exactly what happened to me with similar issue( which had to do with juniper trees) but i remember in one fashion or the other it had to do with two different mods that were changing meshes/textures on juniper trees and in game i was coming across juniper trees that did not have compatible meshes and textures.

I was in wilderness and my fps tanked hard, I knew something was wrong so I used console to delete things on screen and quickly found that deleting the juniper tree i was seeing in game made my fps go back up, using MO made next part easy as I pulled out the meshes and textures for juniper tree from backup files that i have and threw them,with proper folders,into my MO mods folder and used MO front page to then tell me what other mods in my load order were touching those meshes and textures

Thank you for responding!

I finally received confirmation that the other afflicted person is indeed using the same meshes. After I told him what to remove, he was able to traverse the location with a much steadier FPS. :thumbsup:

You brought up an excellent point about incompatible textures, which inspired me to load up NifSkope. These meshes came packaged with their own textures, so I went through and checked over all the related the folders and compared each file contained within--everything is as it should be. Experimenting further, the custom textures even appear to be compatible with the vanilla game meshes; everything looks good, plus I encountered no further FPS drops with just the textures installed. The mystery is apparently destined to live on! :laugh:

Edited by Lollia