"The Eye of Magnus" quest bug. please help :(

foursquared

I'm up to the part where i have to defeat ancano but i cant fight him. (scripts are failing? idk)

yeah i get it "use the staff on the eye blah blah bla" i know all of that

It's just that Ancano would stop talking when he says "AND YOU THINK YOU CAN ANYTHING ABOUT IT?!"

and Toldfir would use a spell against him or not (i got him to correctly throw a spell at ancano by waiting for a few hours and then going back in)

he's suppose to throw a spell at ancano and say that spells wont work against him, and then ancano talks again for a bit, and then toldfir would then tell me to use the staff on the eye. Ancano says "ENOUGH" and then just stares at me for the rest of eternity.

I have no idea how to fix this bug and i really need someone to help me out here. pretty please

• 2 weeks later...

These suggestions "Load an earlier save" is the worst thing a RPG player can take. I hate reloading an old save to start over like 5 quests all over again!

What I suggest you (if you play on PC, of course) use the command code "disable" and then "enable" (without closing the console) on both NPCs. If it still doesn't work, then use "setstage MG08 30" and then you may advance. (Using the "setstage MG08 30" command will skip the conversation, making Ancano fight you instantly.)

If you don't play on PC, go to the Arcanaeum and wait a few hours (maybe a day). You could also fast-travel to Riften, Solitude or Markarth (examples, not exactly those cities) and then return back to Winterhold.

These are my only ideas, and I hope it works! Cheers!

Thank you for the tip, but what I want to know is: Do my suggestion help in something related to this problem, or not.

It could be like a "Guide" for future problems, being or not being this quest. For example, when I get stuck on the Oghma Infinium quest, I just use "setstage da04 200" and to exit "coc riverwood".

I just want to know this.

• 2 years later...

Yep - I get the same problem, Tofldir just follows me into the Hall of Elements and just stands there like a spare part. I interact with Ancano and he just goes back to doing his energy thing with the Eye. I can't trigger a fight, can't interact with anything. I've gone back to previous saves. Nothing. This is my second playthrough now, and it's exactly the same problem as the first playthrough when I get to this part of the quest, The setstage command didn't do anythin either.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...