Retexturing a .utp (core game) file

AlexanPT

Hello, I have searched the web and had no luck with all of the tutorials I found, they were all either about .msh files or the few ones I found about other files - such as .utp - were very outdated and I couldn't get whatever software needed to edit them working. Is it possible to edit them via the DA Toolset? If not, does anyone know any other way? (that isn't obsolete)

Thank you very much in advance!

You need image editing software, like Photoshop (or another program with similar capabilities) to retexture items.

The file types used by the game haven't changed since 2009, so, any older information regarding that isn't outdated, and is still applicable. Likewise, the programs used to mod the game haven't changed.

Finally, a 'UTP' can't be retextured, as it isn't an in-game visual. It's just a file that defines the appearance and contents of a placeable object. (Like a UTC, but for a placeable or container, if that makes any sense.)

Edited by theskymoves

You need image editing software, like Photoshop (or another program with similar capabilities) to retexture items.

The file types used by the game haven't changed since 2009, so, any older information regarding that isn't outdated, and is still applicable. Likewise, the programs used to mod the game haven't changed.

Finally, a 'UTP' can't be retextured, as it isn't an in-game visual. It's just a file that defines the appearance and contents of a placeable object. (Like a UTC, but for a placeable or container, if that makes any sense.)

Thank you very much for your answer!

So, does this mean the .utp's texture is somewhere where all the other textures are located then?

Again, UTP's don't have textures. The placeable that a UTP is associated with does have a texture; that placeable can be a chest, a cabinet, a barrel, or even a static corpse.

The textures for those statics can be found in the same archives as other textures for the game. For the base game, that's probably in the 'textures.erf' archive located in \Dragon Age\packages\core\data, or (less likely) in Dragon Age\packages\core\textures. (The latter location is the better quality medium and 'high res' textures, and placeable visuals are generally very low quality.)

Most textures for placeables have the prefix 'p_'. For example, the diffuse texture for the ornate chest is 'p_chest_ornate_01d.dds', while the plainer iron chest is 'p_chest_iron_01d.dds'; the barrel is 'p_barrel01_0d.dds', etc. There are, however, textures which do not follow that convention.

Edited by theskymoves