3d artist with mod questions

lazerlemon

Hello. I have been doing 3d modeling for about 4 years now using blender/zbrush/maya and I was thinking of getting into making models for skyrim mods. The problem is I don't know anything about it. I don't know what kind of software is used, how much programming knowledge is required to make a mod, or the types of files that are used. I might be better off joining someones modding group instead of making my own because of my ignorance in programming but if you guys could help explain things that would be invaluable! Thanks in advance!

I don't know Quests and some of the more advanced aspects of Skyrim modding but I'm very knowledgable in most apsects. Do you have any ideas or some 3D models you wanted implemented? I can help out with that.

There are two tools you can use for Skyrim modding: Creation Kit and TES5edit.

I strongly suggest if your starting out to use TES5edit. It's much cleaner and less cumbersome than the Creation Kit. While it doesn't have all the same functionality as the CK it is more powerful in many respects.

If you don't have anything in particular to get started perhaps you could fulfill my request. If you do have something you would like me to implement you could just post your content on the Nexus as a modder's resource or private message me and I could give you my private email address.

I don't know Quests and some of the more advanced aspects of Skyrim modding but I'm very knowledgable in most apsects. Do you have any ideas or some 3D models you wanted implemented? I can help out with that.

I strongly suggest if your starting out to use TES5edit. It's much cleaner and less cumbersome than the Creation Kit. While it doesn't have all the same functionality as the CK it is more powerful in many respects.

If you don't have anything in particular to get started perhaps you could fulfill my request. If you do have something you would like me to implement you could just post your content on the Nexus as a modder's resource or private message me and I could give you my private email address.

Wow..... way to overtake a topic.

@lazerlemon, it really depends on what you want to do. Given your experience you should be able to make new models pretty easily, then its just a case of getting into the nif format.

The workflow is not particularly user friendly as a Blender/Maya user I am sure you are used to using the newer versions but only older versions are currently supported.

If you are more interested in content then you should check out the Creation Kit. It is a content editor. Again it really depends on what area you would like to concentrate on, quests, content placement, item statistics, etc. I would check out the creationkit.com wiki or somewhere with tutorials such as tesalliance.org

From there the rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to go.

Hello. You could check out my tutorials in my signature...i'm using different software but the video covers the whole process - to get an idea 'bout the whole thing. Static stuff like weapons, buildings and whatever is no big deal. Weighted stuff like armor/clothing takes "a bit" more time :D greetings

Wow..... way to overtake a topic.

Did I hijack the topic? I didn't mean to.

I offered my limited knowledge to him, help him out with whatever he wanted to do and show him how. There's tutorials but some learn better when they have a helping hand when trying to learn new things, that's what I offered.

Did I hijack the topic? Really? Did I?

Edited by JobVanDam