CTD before reaching main menu

Gunns0819

What are you using to sort your load order?

The crash you describe is typically a 'missing master' type crash, which is most often a load order problem. It happens if you have a dependant mod or patch higher in your load order that the master file it requires (either ESP or ESM).

Crash logs are only useful if somebody knows how to interpret the information.

Back in the BOSS days it would tell you which mods were unrecognised and those would be loaded after the recognised mods. You could then figure out where the unrecognised mods should go based on similar mods in the BOSS Masterlist, recommendations gleaned from mod author notes or mod comments, or good old trial and error, and then use UserLists to place them in your load order.

From my understanding when LOOT runs into a mod that it doesn't recognise it guesses where to put it in the load order based on whatever criteria it uses. Does LOOT tell you which mods it was guessing on vs which mods it recognised?

Wrye Bash will indicate which mods have a missing master (pink is the colour if I recall correctly) ... what does it show for your current load order?

LOOT doesn't tell you, no. I did also try out BOSS, but it didn't fix the issues either. It showed 43 unrecognized when I tried it.

And Wrye Bash doesn't show anything missing a master, I have everything needed for each mod. I tried deactivating both the major overhauls I downloaded along with anything dependent and that didn't fix the crashing either. This is actually the third time in the past 6 months this has happened, the past 2 I just uninstalled everything after getting fed up.

The BOSS masterlist hasn't seen any updates in a long time, so any mods that have come out since that last update need User Rules set for them. I wasn't actually suggesting that BOSS may work ... it's just what I'm familiar with, and thus I know what I can do in BOSS and wondered if LOOT offered anything similar.

That WB isn't showing anything suggesting missing master does make that possibility seem less likely. I can't think of any further tests to suggest that may narrow down the possible cause.

The only thing I can offer is how I install mods (my current load order has 171 mods, so not huge but still substantial). The core of that load order (about 150 mods) was installed over the space of about two weeks, which may seem like a long time to install 150 mods but some of those mods required much tweaking and testing to get them set up to work together to my satisfaction.

Even discounting the time spent installing the handful of 'tricky' mods I was still looking at at least 3 or 4 days (perhaps more) to install 140 or so mods. That's because between each individual mod install there was a testing session that was long enough to confirm that the install and load order was OK and stable. It also gave me a chance with mods that could potentially affect performance to assess how they contributed to the overall performance. Some mods took less time than others, but in the end it has given me a good understanding of how each mod affects my gaming experience.

For me there is no substitute for having that level of understanding.

If Striker879 is right, there's no need. Simply follow his advice and put all esm files before any esp in your load order. However C0000005 exception is a generic memory protection violation, so the culprit can be anything when running Oblivion. As I see you're using some OBSE plugins, which cuts deep into Oblivion, it can be some contflict between them too. For example FastExit2 vs Oblivion Stutter Remover (didn't you forgot to disable FastExit in OSR by chance) and the like.

My explanation of how I install mods was more pointed at giving you a different point of view to consider the next time you decide you are going to install mods for Oblivion (your post gave me the impression you've been down this same path more than once, without satisfactory results). I didn't inquire into your past practices for installing mods, but here's a couple more cents from Striker ...

If you install the vanilla game and start it and confirm that it runs fine and then add one mod which causes it to crash, you will have a pretty good idea where to start your troubleshooting. Extending that notion, if you have installed 149 mods one at a time and confirmed the game works fine in between each and then add another mod and the game starts crashing you aare in the same position as the first example ... a trivial matter to figure out where to start your troubleshooting.

If you install 150 mods and then start the game and it doesn't work you are faced with a daunting task trying to figure just where to start your troubleshooting.