Mods Not working

Scorch910

Well for first things, I had download several mods and I had made sure I had installed them correctly. Checked them off so they would have been put into the game, but now, when ever I get to Where that mods should be, it isn't there. Like a weapon in an NPC's inventory, or a chest that should be there. :confused:

I've been fiddling with it all day now and is quite franky really pissing me off now. :wallbash:

Any good words of advice would be great appreciated. :biggrin:

Some details please. Which mods ?

Did you install them one at a time ?

Did you play test after installing the first mod ?

Are you using OBMM or just the Oblivion Launcher ?

If not using OBMM - Oblivion Mod Manager - then you should get it

and install it as it has a number of useful functions that the loader does not have

among these is archive invalidation which is necessary for many mods to work.

Sound like you are using Vista

Vista Problems

You MUST be signed on as an Administrator to do any of this.

If you have downloaded and installed a mod, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game And you are running Vista, you have run into a security feature of Vista called User Account Control. Or more simply, UAC.

Quoted from the Oblivion Mods FAQ WIKI

Alternate Install Directory

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located within the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Look here for instructions on how to turn UAC off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

Some details please. Which mods ?

Did you install them one at a time ?

Did you play test after installing the first mod ?

Are you using OBMM or just the Oblivion Launcher ?

If not using OBMM - Oblivion Mod Manager - then you should get it

and install it as it has a number of useful functions that the loader does not have

among these is archive invalidation which is necessary for many mods to work.

Mainly mods the have to do with Weapons and armor..

no

yes I have tried and still nothing

I tried OBMM and still no results

Vista Problems

If you have downloaded and installed a mod, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game And you are running Vista, you have run into a security feature of Vista called User Account Control. Or more simply, UAC.

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located within the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Look here for instructions on how to turn UAC off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

I don't use vista hahahaha

Vista Problems

Run as Admin

Disable UAC

I'm using Vista. >_> But I'm already using the administrator account and just disabled the UAC, plus I installed the game at d:\ cause c is almost full....XD Still no change...T_T

I'll try reinstalling it again later using "run as admin" and with the UAC disabled. I hope it works...

as the others have asked what mods are u using and how/what did u do when u "installed it"

if u have downloaded a mod that for example adds a sword its critical for helping u that we know how u installed it.

in this case put the esp. file in ur bethesda softworks/oblivion/data folder and copy the meshes+textures folders and put them in the data folder as well (make them combine)

are u using oblivion mod manager? if not get it i highly recommend it

before i used it i had some of the same problems simply becouse i didnt notice that everytime i launched oblivion it automaticly disabled all the esp. files so i had to check them over again also when ur using multiple mods some of them might overwrite the other so u need to put a load order

if u have vista and had problems with other games aswell lisent to bben46 and try that out.

however im having vista and tho its been interfering with some other games its never touched oblivion so i doubt it has anything to do with it (and i havent modified the AUC prompt and im not forced to make it run as admin to play the game)

EDIT: make sure u have latest patch of oblivion alot of the mods are only aviable for latest patch

For Both Vista & XP

Be sure you have the latest patch - many mods will not work without it.

If you got your game through a download such as D2D, You have to go to them for any patches. The ones at the official site will not work because of the D2D copy protection. Programs like OBSE will probably not work because of the D2D copy protection. If you have a pirate version, sorry about your luck. Don't be so cheap, buy the game.

If you have the Game of the Year version, you don't need a patch.

To find what version you have, look in the lower left corner on the loading screen. If it shows v1.2.0416 you already have the latest patch.

You only need to install the latest patch, v1.2.0416, all of the stuff from earlier patches are included.

If you have Shivering Isles, DO NOT use the Oblivion patch, ONLY use the latest Shivering Isles patch. All of the oblivion stuff is included. There is only one English version SI patch for both US & UK versions.

If you DO NOT have Shivering Isles, use only the latest Oblivion patch for the language version on your original install disk.

Be sure to get your patch from the official Bethesda site where they have FREE patches for every language version, There are 2 English versions, UK & US be sure to get the one that matches your disk.

Bethesda site: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

Many mods also require OBSE. Check the read me to see.

I have a set of help files for people new to mods. They include downloading, extracting (unzipping) installing and activating mods. I have included a sample mod to practice on and instructions for installing and using 7-zip. If you are interested, click on the highlighted link below to be taken to the site where they are kept. I recommend starting with #1 and working your way through them. The sample mod does not require anything besides Oblivion to work, NO OBSE, NO patches, NO Textures, NO meshes - No other stuff. If you can't get this one to work you have something strange.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/256092/

For Both Vista & XP

Be sure you have the latest patch - many mods will not work without it.

If you got your game through a download such as D2D, You have to go to them for any patches. The ones at the official site will not work because of the D2D copy protection. Programs like OBSE will probably not work because of the D2D copy protection. If you have a pirate version, sorry about your luck. Don't be so cheap, buy the game.

If you have the Game of the Year version, you don't need a patch.

To find what version you have, look in the lower left corner on the loading screen. If it shows v1.2.0416 you already have the latest patch.

You only need to install the latest patch, v1.2.0416, all of the stuff from earlier patches are included.

If you have Shivering Isles, DO NOT use the Oblivion patch, ONLY use the latest Shivering Isles patch. All of the oblivion stuff is included. There is only one English version SI patch for both US & UK versions.

If you DO NOT have Shivering Isles, use only the latest Oblivion patch for the language version on your original install disk.

Be sure to get your patch from the official Bethesda site where they have FREE patches for every language version, There are 2 English versions, UK & US be sure to get the one that matches your disk.

Bethesda site: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

Many mods also require OBSE. Check the read me to see.

I have a set of help files for people new to mods. They include downloading, extracting (unzipping) installing and activating mods. I have included a sample mod to practice on and instructions for installing and using 7-zip. If you are interested, click on the highlighted link below to be taken to the site where they are kept. I recommend starting with #1 and working your way through them. The sample mod does not require anything besides Oblivion to work, NO OBSE, NO patches, NO Textures, NO meshes - No other stuff. If you can't get this one to work you have something strange.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/256092/

I got all the updates, installed correctly, tried OBSE, and the OBMM, nothing works I know I have not made any mistakes installing the mods, theres absolute no reason that they don't work, yet, they won't... don't give advice that a simple newbie would do in modding, I've modded morrowind for about a year or so when i was playing, they all worked... just getting really frustrating >_<

I have been a troubleshooter for over 40 years. In that time I have lost count of how many times I have heard something like this.

"don't give advice that a simple newbie would do in modding,"

And I have lost count of how many times it turned out to be something simple they overlooked because it was 'only something a n00b would do' :whistling:

If you have tried everything and it still dosn't work, then you haven't tried everything. :wallbash: Go back through and look at everything, no matter how simple or obvious it seems. I traveled 600 miles to plug a machine in once because the Chief Engineer on the site had tried everything and it still didn't work. :rolleyes:

Have you ever noticed, It's always the last thing you try that works. :thumbsup:

Archived