Plugin limit was reached and saves are corrupt despite ESL

ThorstenLicht

Hello guys,

I'm at a loss and a little desperate. I hope someone can help me here.
When playing Skyrim SE there are problems after a few minutes (loading is no longer possible because the saved game is corrupt and dialog lines are skipped).
After weeks of research and testing, I found that I was well over the plugin limit with my 323 plugins. Unfortunately I couldn't merge many mods because they depend on other mods or just don't work in merged form.
The weird thing is that I don't actually have that many plugins or ESPs. Many mods are ESL or ESL flagged. Actually, I shouldn't even reach the 254 or 255 limit. Creation Club content (I have the Anniversary Edition) also seems to count as plugins. The issue may be related to the Creation Club content. For some reason they are in my overwrite order and according to MO2 they are "redundant".
I currently have 195 mods (including merged mods). SKSE, USSEP, SkyUi and almost all other mods are up to date.
By the way, it also makes no sense to start a new game. I've tried that countless times without success. I've also deleted my old saves, used LOOT, checked game files for errors via Steam, and disabled mods one by one in hopes of finding a culprit. But all without success.
It only works if I disable as many mods/plugins until I fall below the plugin limit. But like I said, that doesn't make any sense. I don't have that many ESP or plugins.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

The count limit is the number of plugins that use the primary load register. In order to have a configuration with more plugins than that is to ensure that the additional plugins are ESL/light

Since it appears you're relying on merges, you may have to rethink your strategy.

The count limit is the number of plugins that use the primary load register. In order to have a configuration with more plugins than that is to ensure that the additional plugins are ESL/light

Since it appears you're relying on merges, you may have to rethink your strategy.

And what is your advice for me?

Well, since your OP post indicated that your installation has exceeded the plugin limit, I'd suggest ESLifying plugins where possible, to reduce the number of plugins trying to load into the low register below the, limit, ideally well below the limit so you have room for the inevitable 'can't-be-ESLified' mod

If you use the Vortex mod manager, it offers a "Make Light" widget when you open the right pane on a given plugin. I don't know how if you use MO2, but I'm sure that info is easily available if you perform a widenet search

Uninstalling mods is another way to reduce the number of plugins below the limit, but that's no fun, hence the first way.

As to the merges, no, I can't offer anything on that, any more than I could for bashed patches, since I don't use them.

Well, since your OP post indicated that your installation has exceeded the plugin limit, I'd suggest ESLifying plugins where possible, to reduce the number of plugins trying to load into the low register below the, limit, ideally well below the limit so you have room for the inevitable 'can't-be-ESLified' mod

If you use the Vortex mod manager, it offers a "Make Light" widget when you open the right pane on a given plugin. I don't know how if you use MO2, but I'm sure that info is easily available if you perform a widenet search

Uninstalling mods is another way to reduce the number of plugins below the limit, but that's no fun, hence the first way.

As to the merges, no, I can't offer anything on that, any more than I could for bashed patches, since I don't use them.

Hello, thanks for your idea.

The problem is that I currently have a lot of ESL files and should already be under the limit, but MO acts like I'm over the limit / the game still doesn't work.
You can see it in the picture. I don't have that many ESPs.
Edited by ThorstenLicht

Well, that's puzzling. I can't help with MO2. I use Vortex exclusively, and Vortex usually handles that stuff in the background.

perhaps you might include some (fuller) MO2 snapshots for MO2 users who might be able to see the issue.

I mean the 'skse64' 'Text document - 4th from bottom, 184K size.

Also, I think your problem is too many actual ..esl files. A .esl is considered a master and will typically load way high - above regular .esps. Which can lead to major issues.

You want most of your plugins ESL flagged, but retain the .esp filename extension. Then, they occupy a 'light' slot, but can be anywhere in load order.

To give you some idea: my (quite stable) setup.

19 .esm files

4 master-flagged .esp filles.

6 .esl files - yes, just 6.

These 29 are at the top of the load order.

Then I got 290 .esp files, 166 of which are regulars, and 124 are ESL flagged.

Total 319 plugins.

You should rename most of those .esl files to .esp...