(Request) Remove repetitive ambient conversations and announcements on Hubs

outmoddedgamer

Yeah these ads and other announcements (plus the uninitiated conversations) on hub worlds get old after half dozen playthroughs or so.

I don't need to hear Krogan on Tuchanka for the hundredth time speculating about how Turians look w/o their armour. Nor do i need to hear the announcement about the plague being eradicated multiple times per playthrough on Omega.

It would be awesome if someone could create a mod that either removes these convos and ads altogether, or at least makes them initialize on user input. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just delete/move this files:
Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole
(int is English localization)
News:
cit_news_a_D_Int.afc
Advertising, Shops, Announcements, Elevator:
cit_branding_a_D_Int.afc

I appreciate your advice. However, this forum is for ME2.

Do you happen to know if there are similar files in ME2 I can remove and where they are located?

Sure, for ME2, delete/move files from:

Mass Effect 2\BioGame\CookedPC

News:

omghub_news_a_S_INT.afc

twrhub_news_a_S_INT.afc
cithub_mainnews_a_S_INT.afc
Advertising:
cithub_ad_high_a_S_INT
cithub_ad_mid_a_S_INT
cithub_ad_low_a_S_INT
cithub_ad_hamlet_a_S_INT
As for particular ambient conversations, you have to search specific .afc files that contain _amb_ in filename in hubs:
cithub - Citadel, omghub - Omega, twrhub - Illium.
For example: cithub_sirta_amb_a_S_INT.afc - Sirta Foundation (shop) ambient conversations.
To convert .afc files to .ogg and play them, you'll need: ww2ogg program
Edited by ArJed

Sure, for ME2, delete/move files from:

Mass Effect 2\BioGame\CookedPC

News:

omghub_news_a_S_INT.afc

twrhub_news_a_S_INT.afc
cithub_mainnews_a_S_INT.afc
Advertising:
cithub_ad_high_a_S_INT
cithub_ad_mid_a_S_INT
cithub_ad_low_a_S_INT
cithub_ad_hamlet_a_S_INT
As for particular ambient conversations, you have to search specific .afc files that contain _amb_ in filename in hubs:
cithub - Citadel, omghub - Omega, twrhub - Illium.
For example: cithub_sirta_amb_a_S_INT.afc - Sirta Foundation (shop) ambient conversations.
To convert .afc files to .ogg and play them, you'll need: ww2ogg program

Thanks so much. This helped a lot.

I ultimately found another superior program to convert the .afc files here:

http://dotwhat.net/file/extension/afc/10913

afc2ogg actually has a UI and does all the work for you. No need to create a .bat file or anything complicated like that.

The only files I couldn't find are the Tuchanka ambient conversations. So i guess I'll live w/ the Krogan guard chatter all over that place.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Edited by outmoddedgamer

Completely forgot about Tuchanka! Files name: krohub. It's been a while since I played ME trilogy and I've found my comment about ME2 sound editing:

Also keep in mind that not all ambient conversations include _amb_ in their names, some files named by characters participating in conversations, like: twrhub_bluerose_krog_a_S_INT and twrhub_bluerose_asari_d_S_INT on Illium. There is also no way to repack .afc files (just to remove ambient repetative dialogues/monologues) - such files may include actual dialogues (with characters Shep can talk) - so its better to: first, remove ambient conversations with non-interactable characters (like: twrhub_asariargue_a_S_INT), then remove files with interactable characters (like: twrhub_bluerose_...) once you talk to them. So it's better to create folder for these moved files (I do not recommend to delete any) and place them back for new playthrough.

Edited by ArJed

Completely forgot about Tuchanka! Files name: krohub. It's been a while since I played ME trilogy and I've found my comment about ME2 sound editing:

Ok yes I found them. Woohoo!

It's these 3 files:

krohub_bonusamb1_a_S_INT

krohub_bonusamb2_a_S_INT

krohub_bonusamb3_a_S_INT

Only one left I can't find now. It's is the news reports on Omega that play where the 2 Salarians are standing (packages for Ish assignment). It's a woman's voice that's also present on the Citadel if you interact w/ the news terminals in the stairwells. I can't find them under either omghub or cithub. Oh well.

Edited by outmoddedgamer