Warning message after in game CTD

Valascon

with all the CTDs I've experienced in my game, I finally got a warning message that may help someone else.

The warning message was the last line in warnings.txt before the game did a CTD.

"Script |
Trying to RunFunction index greater than function count
The script will not run anymore."

Usually the warnings are the common xx missing yy in such and such.

The warnings.txt file did not provide addtional info like what script had the problem. It does seem like the CTD usually occur outdoors.

That error message will be seen when trying to run a script made with Tribunal or Bloodmoon functions without those expansions installed. More usually these days it's seen when trying to run a MWSE mod without MWSE running or an older version of MWSE.

Interesting. Unfortunately, it seems to me that there's insufficient info to track down the CTD origin. Not to mention that just yesterday I ran diagdx on my pc for completely unrelated reasons and ran across reports of APPCRASH involving morrowind.exe Here are two instances of what diagdx reported

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 296902859, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Morrowind.exe
P2: 1.6.0.1820
P3: 3ef35891
P4: Morrowind.exe
P5: 1.6.0.1820
P6: 3ef35891
P7: c0000005
P8: 000ee8b0
P9:
P10:

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket 1206512384512472357, type 5
Event Name: BEX

Problem signature:
P4: StackHash_6e3b
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: PCH_5B_FROM_ntdll+0x000731FC
P8: c0000005
P9: badc0de1
P10:

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket 1933977094840768005, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH

Problem signature:
P4: StackHash_6c39
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: PCH_51_FROM_unknown+0x00000000
P9:
P10:

Perhaps this might help someone like hrmchand figure out the CTD problem.

Maybe it's already there, but too bad there's not some utility that evaluates if a MWSE mod is compatible with the existing version of MWSE. That question has always been in the back of my mind. Modders stress getting the most recent build of MWSE for their mod, but some of the mods I play date back several years now and there's no way a lay person is going to know if the MWSE used in the older mod will function as intended with the newest build of MWSE. And there's the other issue that if the problem lies with MWSE, conflicts like I'm experiencing may be an even more subtle one involving MGE XE because it's including MWSE as part of its installation procedure.

The issue that rises for me with troubleshooting the CTDs is simply that they increased in frequecy very soon after I built a new pc (AMD Ryzen 5700G CPU which has integrated graphics instead of a discrete graphics card) AND updated MGE XE at the same time (Dec 2022 or so) when a new version of it was released. So it's very difficult for me to say if the CTDs are a function of the new hardware, of the newly released version of MGE XE or is due to a specific unidentified mod, or a combination of those three events. FWIW, since December I think there have been two more updates to MGE XE released and which I've installed. The CTDs still happen. I see that a new update for MGE XE was released last week, but I haven't had the time to install it yet. The only reason why I think about MGE XE is that that was the one major piece of s/w I updated at the time and it interacts with both the pc hardware (graphics) and with the game.

IIRC that BEX error can happen if you've got Data Execution Protection enabled for morrowind.exe, try making an exclusion for the .exe

Also, when I last played Morrowind in the summer, I was getting frequent CTDs. Best I could do is reducing to one an hour. OpenMW people refer to it as Crashwind for a reason. There's some tips here to minimise RAM usage that helped me: https://r-fuzzo.gitbook.io/morrowind++/finish/finish

DXVK could help too: https://r-fuzzo.gitbook.io/morrowind++/setup/setup#dxvk-original-engine-only

I was pretty aggressive on the MGE XE texture settings in Distant Land too.