First Person vs. Third Person.....A perspective on Perspectives.

edgeburner

Personally, I prefer first person. It makes me feel that I am in my characters head, instead of controlling things with a camera. I don't necessarily mind third person, if it is well implemented, but, it just seems to be lacking the immersion(?) first person perspective provides. Of course, it depends on the game, but as far as shooters go, first person for me.

Another thing, does it seem to you as if most games that could go either way are going third person?

Edited by edgeburner

I prefer first for shooters but third for RPGs, I struggle to care for a character that I can't see, first person negatively impacted my enjoyment of games like CP2077 and The Outer Worlds.

• Like 1

I agree with the First person crowd, I find having that dude in front of me... he just gets in the way, so if there's no First person I don't use it, I know I'm missing out on all the special animations of the lil' fella doing his stuff, like rolling and whatever, but I won't get restless nights because of it.

i like a game that offers this as an option like skyrim or fo4 does. i change often between them. in 1st p. aiming with a weapon works much better and feels more direct but for overviews and panorama settings i like 3rd p. setting. same for skyrim.

I've switched between the two for a while, but third person is easier for me to grasp my head around. Something something omnipotent narrator metagaming. Also, I like to look at the work I've put into my character. It's not as easy for me to enjoy looking at hands doing various things for hours.

Sadly old gamers/devs cannot understand that some casual players have a problem in first person - the same kind of problem as VR sickness.

It was confirmed for me when I was flying a starship in a game in first person and I had no problem with that, actually I felt better - more immersive even if the window was quite small. But walking in openworld in first person was very unconfortable.

I wish devs would finally understand it (if they have the money to do it).

But it is the same as RPG games becoming actually RPG :(. It feels so impossible to have roleplaying mechanics in MMOs - even if it is proven by Final Fantasy that players will roleplay professions and it would be perfect fit as daily routiness - instead they will smash daily random grind for some reason. Maybe that is a problem of quest designers being the same as system designers who are not really creative, I don't know.

But I can always hope :p.

Third person is cool if i can zoom out a lot, Skyrim does it well.

There's very little value in having a character taking up a lot of screen space, though for some games with melee combat i can understand why it's there, its just hard to do in first person unless its VR. It's really mostly an outdated way of making melee combat work i think.