Can't buy Breezehome

zendrake93

So I'm trying to buy Breezehome, did the quests have 5k etc, but it won't let me purchase it. When Proventus is supposed to give me the key and take the money nothing happens.

I don't have any mods that affect homes, location or buying wise, so I have no clue what's going on. Any help is appreciated.

To make sure - you have the dialogue option to buy you tell him that you will take it, and he says 'splendid! ... etc but no key, no money taken, etc? Or it is something different?

You have 'Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch' (USSEP) installed?

Try going into your Data/Scripts, and see if you can locate file: TIF__000A7B1E.pex

If you have SSEEdit: run it, expand 'Skyrim.esm', expand 'Dialog Topic' category, and scroll till you locate '000A7B18' (hope you know how hexadecimal works), expand it, under it is 000A7B1E. Does anything other than USSEP overload it?

To make sure - you have the dialogue option to buy you tell him that you will take it, and he says 'splendid! ... etc but no key, no money taken, etc? Or it is something different?

You have 'Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch' (USSEP) installed?

Try going into your Data/Scripts, and see if you can locate file: TIF__000A7B1E.pex

If you have SSEEdit: run it, expand 'Skyrim.esm', expand 'Dialog Topic' category, and scroll till you locate '000A7B18' (hope you know how hexadecimal works), expand it, under it is 000A7B1E. Does anything other than USSEP overload it?

I can't find the file in the Data/Script, says no matching files when I search for it.

I can find 000A7B1E in SSEEdit, I'm not sure what you mean by overload it but I don't think anything is shown blocking it in Edit.

Ok, in this screenshot, you can see that particular topic info is initially defined in Skyrim.esm, but is overloaded by USSEP.

You can see that both versions use the TIF__000A7B1E script, (btw, there two underscores in the name : T I F _ _ 0 0 0 A 7 B 1 E)

But original (Skyrim) version has no properties, and invokes 'Fragment_0' function, while USSEP version has a few properties, and invokes 'Fragment_1' function.

mdn8Ryk.jpg

You might consider this article to enable Papyrus logging. It is for Oldrim, but for SSE, procedure is same, except you go to Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition. If somehow your game is using wrong version of TIF__000A7B1E.pex, there will be an error message in the log. That is the first point of failure.

Assuming you do have a correct script and correct fragment is called, the important part of that fragment is setting the HousePurchase quest to stage 10.

Now, stage 10 of that quest invokes Fragment_0 function in QF_HousePurchase_000A7B33.pex, and here both Skyrim and USSEP pretty much do the same thing:

Quest __temp = self as Quest
HousePurchaseScript kmyQuest = __temp as HousePurchaseScript
kmyquest.Purchasehouse(whiterunhouse, whiterunhousekey, whiterunguide, kmyquest.HPWhiterun)
And finally, 'HousePurchaseScript.pex' PurchaseHouse function is where player loses money, gets key, becomes owner of Breezehome, etc.

If there is a break somewhere down the chain, there should be an error message in the log...

Ok, in this screenshot, you can see that particular topic info is initially defined in Skyrim.esm, but is overloaded by USSEP.

You can see that both versions use the TIF__000A7B1E script, (btw, there two underscores in the name : T I F _ _ 0 0 0 A 7 B 1 E)

But original (Skyrim) version has no properties, and invokes 'Fragment_0' function, while USSEP version has a few properties, and invokes 'Fragment_1' function.

mdn8Ryk.jpg

You might consider this article to enable Papyrus logging. It is for Oldrim, but for SSE, procedure is same, except you go to Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition. If somehow your game is using wrong version of TIF__000A7B1E.pex, there will be an error message in the log. That is the first point of failure.

Assuming you do have a correct script and correct fragment is called, the important part of that fragment is setting the HousePurchase quest to stage 10.

Now, stage 10 of that quest invokes Fragment_0 function in QF_HousePurchase_000A7B33.pex, and here both Skyrim and USSEP pretty much do the same thing:

Quest __temp = self as Quest
HousePurchaseScript kmyQuest = __temp as HousePurchaseScript
kmyquest.Purchasehouse(whiterunhouse, whiterunhousekey, whiterunguide, kmyquest.HPWhiterun)
And finally, 'HousePurchaseScript.pex' PurchaseHouse function is where player loses money, gets key, becomes owner of Breezehome, etc.

If there is a break somewhere down the chain, there should be an error message in the log...

So I looked again and it is Update.esm overloading it instead of USSEP. How can I fix this?

Edited by zendrake93

Ok, you really need to give some more details...

What is your game version? I left mine on 1.6.353, and my Update.esm is definitely NOT overloading that entry, so I can only suspect that some later version (1.6.640?) of Update.esm does.

Do you actually have USSEP installed? What is your load order? Update.esm should be right after Skyrim.esm , and definitely not after USSEP.

In SSEEdit, for that dialogue entry, what mods are listed? Is it just Skyrim.esm - Update.esm, or Skyrim.esm - USSEP.esp - Update.esm?

Also, I did a bit of an experiment, and unfortunately no, Papyrus log does NOT tell that game is trying to call a non-existent script fragment... so that's a bummer. Anyways, lets sort out the above questions first...

Ok, you really need to give some more details...

What is your game version? I left mine on 1.6.353, and my Update.esm is definitely NOT overloading that entry, so I can only suspect that some later version (1.6.640?) of Update.esm does.

Do you actually have USSEP installed? What is your load order? Update.esm should be right after Skyrim.esm , and definitely not after USSEP.

In SSEEdit, for that dialogue entry, what mods are listed? Is it just Skyrim.esm - Update.esm, or Skyrim.esm - USSEP.esp - Update.esm?

Also, I did a bit of an experiment, and unfortunately no, Papyrus log does NOT tell that game is trying to call a non-existent script fragment... so that's a bummer. Anyways, lets sort out the above questions first...

I am going to assume my game is version 1.6.640 as I bought it on Steam about two months ago or so, and it would have installed as the latest version.

I do have USSEP installed and it is currently #5 on my Load Order with the Update.esm sitting at #2 as it should be.

In the dialogue entry it shows as Skyrim.esm - Update.esm, no USSEP.esp showing up.

USSEP is at #5? That does not sound right at all.

Your top 9 should be:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm
ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl
ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm

With USSEP being no higher than #10. (Or #9 if Skyrim.esm is considered 'load order 0#')

Ok, try following: after talking to Proventus, open console (~) use command:

getstage A7B33

If it return 0, it means this dialog option (A7B1E) is not invoking the associated script. If it returns 10, we need to dig further down the line.

That said, something is seriously wrong with the way you describe things. Which mod organizer are you using? I use Vortex. I hear MO2 has a funky way of doing things, so any tools need to be set up an invoked through it to work right.

Let's go step-by step.

When you launch SSEEdit, you should be presented with a list of plugins you want to load - I assume you have everything checked on that list. (All your enabled plugins at least)

After you click OK, and it loads a bunch of stuff, it should give another popup, asking 'Which mod groups you want to activate'. At least for me, only option there is 'USSEP-All' - be sure it is checked before clicking OK.

And after expanding Skyrim.esm - Dialog Topic - 000A7B18, and selecting 000A7B1E - there are definitely only 'Skyrim.esm' and 'Update.esm' columns? No horizontal scroll bar, no additional columns showing up if you widen the window?

I am asking this cause I have just downloaded the very latest USSEP from Nexus (Sep 18, 2022), and its esp. most definitely has a record for that dialog topic.

To explain it in more detail: Main game, as well as larger mods that include a TON of files, do not have those files in loose form. They have them in archive (.bsa) files.

The general priiority, if a given file under Data actually exists, that file gets used. Otherwise, game will use the file contained in a .bsa of the highest load order plugin

Skyrim main includes Data\Scripts\TIF__000A7B1E.pex in Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa. archive.

USSEP includes Data\Scripts\TIF__000A7B1E.pex in Data\Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.bsa

If USSEP is indeed enabled, the game SHOULD give priority to a script file in its .bsa.

So, if what you are seeing in SSEEdit is correct, and in some weird way, your installation of USSEP does not overload that Dialog topic, but USSEP .bsa is still used, the game tries to call Fragment_0 but hits USSEP version of the script, where the function is Fragment_1.

What you could try, as experiment:

Get BSA extractor

Open Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa file using this extractor.

Click 'Sellect None'

Now expand Skyrim-Misc.bsa - scripts

Scroll till you find 000a7b1e.pex, check the box next to it. (Everything else should be unchecked)

Click Extract - and be sure that your target is 'Data' under your SSE folder.

You now should have a TIF__a7b1e.pex file in Data\Scripts.

Run game and try talking to the steward again - see if this time it works. If it does, your USSEP install is seriously borked, and you are very likely to experience a lot of other things broken in a similar manner.

USSEP is at #5? That does not sound right at all.

Your top 9 should be:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Hearthfires.esm

Dragonborn.esm

ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm

ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl

ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl

ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm

With USSEP being no higher than #10. (Or #9 if Skyrim.esm is considered 'load order 0#')

Ok, try following: after talking to Proventus, open console (~) use command:

getstage A7B33

If it return 0, it means this dialog option (A7B1E) is not invoking the associated script. If it returns 10, we need to dig further down the line.

That said, something is seriously wrong with the way you describe things. Which mod organizer are you using? I use Vortex. I hear MO2 has a funky way of doing things, so any tools need to be set up an invoked through it to work right.

Let's go step-by step.

When you launch SSEEdit, you should be presented with a list of plugins you want to load - I assume you have everything checked on that list. (All your enabled plugins at least)

After you click OK, and it loads a bunch of stuff, it should give another popup, asking 'Which mod groups you want to activate'. At least for me, only option there is 'USSEP-All' - be sure it is checked before clicking OK.

And after expanding Skyrim.esm - Dialog Topic - 000A7B18, and selecting 000A7B1E - there are definitely only 'Skyrim.esm' and 'Update.esm' columns? No horizontal scroll bar, no additional columns showing up if you widen the window?

I am asking this cause I have just downloaded the very latest USSEP from Nexus (Sep 18, 2022), and its esp. most definitely has a record for that dialog topic.

To explain it in more detail: Main game, as well as larger mods that include a TON of files, do not have those files in loose form. They have them in archive (.bsa) files.

The general priiority, if a given file under Data actually exists, that file gets used. Otherwise, game will use the file contained in a .bsa of the highest load order plugin

Skyrim main includes Data\Scripts\TIF__000A7B1E.pex in Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa. archive.

USSEP includes Data\Scripts\TIF__000A7B1E.pex in Data\Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.bsa

If USSEP is indeed enabled, the game SHOULD give priority to a script file in its .bsa.

So, if what you are seeing in SSEEdit is correct, and in some weird way, your installation of USSEP does not overload that Dialog topic, but USSEP .bsa is still used, the game tries to call Fragment_0 but hits USSEP version of the script, where the function is Fragment_1.

What you could try, as experiment:

Get BSA extractor

Open Data\Skyrim - Misc.bsa file using this extractor.

Click 'Sellect None'

Now expand Skyrim-Misc.bsa - scripts

Scroll till you find 000a7b1e.pex, check the box next to it. (Everything else should be unchecked)

Click Extract - and be sure that your target is 'Data' under your SSE folder.

You now should have a TIF__a7b1e.pex file in Data\Scripts.

Run game and try talking to the steward again - see if this time it works. If it does, your USSEP install is seriously borked, and you are very likely to experience a lot of other things broken in a similar manner.

So looking at the Load Order you showed I noticed there were four in there were not in the spots they should be on mine in LOOT. So I took a look and the .esms themselves were not in the Load Order at all.

So I had Steam verify my file integrities, download those missing .esms, and spent about an hour cleaning the esms and so on. Used FNIS, started up the game and I could buy Breezehome no problem.

Overall, I was missing important esms in my game, got them installed and now it works.

Thank you for your help.