Pinned Guides Discussion Thread

Wandik

According to Pagafyr's reccomendation, i made a separated thread to discuss topics described in the pinned guides found here... Everyone, please post your problems or suggestions here, not into the original guides' threads. It should make the guides more transparent. Thank you :)

What is an FOMOD?

FOMOD is a file extension for self-installing mod file :) in case, you have FOMM installed, clicking a FOMOD will install the package automatically. there are not many fomods though, i have seen only a couple of them.

FOMODs can be user-made too, by using FOMM's Package Manager utility :)

accordng to anti-virus, i'm using NOD32 without any disturbances to all games ever played...

Please guys! Write your notes to pinned guides here!

as for the FWE and CRAFT post in my pinned thread: CRAFT is market as master for FWE-MR1, not for FWE 5.0; the guide is still writen about FWE 5.0, till FOOK 2.0 release... this means, you may use CRAFT, but it's not necessary :)

I suppose i'll ask here instead of making another topic (which im sure you see too many of already)

What's the best way to run Broken Steel?

I suppose i have two options (correct me if i'm wrong): reinstalling and playing with fake patch, or running MasterUpdate in FO3Edit. My question is, since it seems much easier to simply download FO3Edit, whats the downside? Is there a chance that some of the files will stop working correctly when i run in MasterUpdate?

Also, is there a chance that 1.5 will be fixed by bethesda, or did they fundamentally change something that conflicts with mods?

Thanks!

bethesda will have a new patch out soon, just before the new dlc comes out this month this is what i`m waiting for as well :)

I can see the dlc should come out the 23rd and the patch just beforehand... but I seem to remember from somewhere that the 1.5 patch changed something about the .esm files (something like that?) which broke mods. Has bethesda said anything about what they broke, and if they are fixing it?

Experiment: Thursday, June 4, 2009.

I copied the Data folder loaded with all my favorite mods, I uninstalled the game using REVO Uninstaller (A Free Uninstaller), I wiped out all the folders Bethesda, Fallout3, and files for fallout 3. I removed all the Fallout 3 and Bethesda stuff from the Regedit keys and rebooted. I ran Max Registry cleaner (Shareware) to see if there were any more left overs.

I installed the game, only this time with no mods, no help from any of the special software kits. I set it up using the Games for Windows LIVE, patch 1.5 downloaded, and I downloaded all the DLC's.

I tried to launch the game using Fallout3.exe, it began to load and crashed.

I used Fallout3launcher.exe and it loaded up. I chose not to start a new game in the standard mode for this experiment.

I signed in LIVE, played the game without a drop, ctd, or BSoD and I quit three times after approximately one hour game sessions. I finally quit for the night after the third test.

The only problem is getting the game to shut down completely after I clicked on Quit. It left me with a black screen three times. I have the DLC's: Op Anhorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel all loaded.

The only thing I had to do each time I played was use the Cntrl, Alt, Del buttons to open the Task Manager so I could close the game down all the way.

June 05, 2009

After playing the game for an hour a crash occurred because something caused the video cards drivers to quit working. A warning icon in the Quick Launch section of the Vista Ultimate sidebar appeared. It reports that the nVidia 8600 video cards drivers had stopped working but were restarted successfully. After the game crashed, of course.

After rebooting the machine to make sure the operating system cleared the RAM too I returned to playing the game. No problems until I clicked on Quit, Exit game. As with the situation before the games closing function hung up. I used Cntrl, Alt, Del keys to open Disk Manager and completed closing the game.

June 06, 2009

Launched the game, Clicked Play from the Launch window. Clicked LIVE in the splash screen, and signed in. Turned the LIVE sign in pop up off by clicking the left arrow at the top bar over and over, after following standard procedures it leaves us still connected to LIVE, but allows the extra content to be loaded. NOTE: Once the game is installed and an Account is set up for the LIVE switch in the splash screen area I was able to load and play the game the next time in standard mode after I restarted the game from the beginning.

With so many troubles from mods not being compliant with Patch 1.5 that the great number of modding crowd people are writing and sharing to improve game play in the standard mode I am leary of installing anything that was written before Patch 1.5 was released.

Something is causing the game to hang up after the Exit Game function is clicked when closing down after playing connected to the LIVE set up running. It just occurred to me that it may be the LIVE account not being closed first causes that.