Fixing weird physics issues with Tick Fix installed without setting FPS to 60

chiefsean16

Hello.

I currently have New Vegas Tick Fix installed but still experiencing some physics problems, which I think may be linked to my monitor's very high refresh rate. I have a 240Hz monitor and, after consulting the New Vegas Performance Guide, decided to set my max FPS via Nvidia Control Panel to 224 FPS. I tried setting it to 60 FPS which fixed the physics issues but it isn't very smooth at all.

The game runs great in 224 FPS and is very smooth, but so far I've noticed 2 issues with the physics. When killing enemies, their ragdolls have a tendency to "jump up" into the air a few feet and land in pretty ridiculous ways, and certain creatures, such as nightstalkers, will actually tumble through the air several times if headshotted. It doesn't happen all the time and looks normal enough most of the time, but it happens enough that it is noticeable. The other issue I've noticed is that turrets constantly vibrate and spasm in place, though hostile turrets are still somehow able to hit me. Both of these issues corrected themselves upon setting the FPS to 60 but as I mentioned above it's very nauseating.

I'm running New Vegas through Mod Organizer 2 and have checked the ini files to make sure that the FPS fix is enabled, which it is. Both bFPSFix and bMaxTime are set to 1. I haven't touched the minimum and maximum tolerance settings, set to 10 and 500 respectively by default, as I'm unsure if I should really be touching this. I'm not sure if any of the game speed fixes would work either as honestly 99% of the time the game seems to be running normally, it's just the odd occasion where an NPC I've just killed will decide to hop into the air a little or if I'm near any turrets which are in a constant state of fritz.

I've posted my current ini settings below just in case there are some settings I should change but honestly I think it might just be down to my monitor's very high refresh rate, and unfortunately 60 FPS just doesn't look great at all.

Thanks.

Edit: I set my FPS to 144 and the issue with the turrets fixed itself. There doesn't seem to be all that much difference visually in the drop from 224 to 144, minus maybe a very small and very unnoticeable change, so I might just go for a lower FPS. Not sure which would be a good mid point though.

;This plugin now requires Windows 7 or above.

;Only enable options if you know what you're doing.

;The ini by default only has the safest options enabled now.

; NVTF.ini file redesign by Audley - v2.1

; [nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66537]

; Report any bugs and performance issues to the Nexus page.

; NOTE: Default settings here will work fine for most setups.

[Main]

; Fixes the 64hz microstutter issue. Settings are under [GTC].

bGTCFix = 1

; Prevents the game from hanging on exit.

bFastExit = 1

; Optimizes the game's hashtables which reduces menu lag. Settings are under [Hashtables].

bRedoHashtables = 1

; Modifies the vanilla DirectX 9 behavior. Settings are under [DirectX].

bModifyDirectXBehavior = 1

; Miscellaneous threading tweaks which improve overall performance. Settings are under [ThreadingTweaks].

bEnableThreadingTweaks = 1

; Used for debugging. Do not use unless you know what you're doing.

bAllowDirectXDebugging = 0

[GTC]

; Allows you to run the game at framerates beyond 60 without encountering physics issues.

bFPSFix = 1

; Alternate GTC fix which is more compatible with older systems, but not as accurate.

bAlternateGTCFix = 1

; This removes the GTC limits. It should only be used if your game is running at the wrong speeds.

; You will need to cap your framrate manually with this enabled.

bRemoveGTCLimits = 0

[ThreadingTweaks]

; Improves overall performance.

;Set this to 1 if you're experiencing crashes, mode 1 is safer but it might be more stuttery (less so than vanilla though)

iTweakRCSafeGuard = 2

;Even more performance tweaks

bTweakMiscRendererSafeGuard = 1

; Extra critical section tweaks.

bTweakMiscCriticalSections = 1

;Possible fix for randomly occuring freeze and crash (most noticeable in TTW)

bReplaceDeadlockCSWithWaitAndSleep=1

[FPSFix]

; Warning: This is a threshold and does NOT cap your frame rate.

; Maximum tolerance for the high FPS fix. Ensure your FPS does not exceed this setting.

; Leave it alone unless you know what you're doing

iMaxFPSTolerance = 500

; Minimum tolerance for the high FPS fix. Leave alone unless you know what you're doing.

iMinFPSTolerance = 10

; Fix for physics issues caused by high FPS.

bfMaxTime = 1

; Fix for the "spider hands" bug.

bSpiderHandsFix = 1

[DirectX]

; This prevents textures from getting mirrored into RAM and reduces overall memory usage.

; Using OneTweak (windowed mode) or DXVK is recommended with this setting enabled, otherwise you won't be able to alt-tab back into the game.

bUseDefaultPoolForTextures = 1

; Enables triple buffering which can provide smoother and more consistent FPS. Disabled by default because it adds an extra backbuffer, potentially increasing input lag.

bToggleTripleBuffering = 1

[Hashtables]

; Resizes the hashtable bucket space.

bResizeHashtables = 1

;Patches that I wouldn't call "proper fixes" but work

[Hacks]

;Patch for the water LOD bug

bWaterLODPatch=0

Edited by chiefsean16