Possible idea for new magics and lore Tie ins

toxicdeath2

So my new mod idea is for Soul Magic.

Basically I want to allow a player that does not practice magic normally to be able to cast some heavy spells. As currently even if a swordsmen uses a scroll, it has a reduced effect if they have not leveled the skill associate with it.

My idea is that a player will be able to use a charged soul gem (equipped) to cast a Soul Magic spell that is not affiliated with any other spell branch, and has no resistance factor.

To obtain these spells a player would have to venture into dungeons and find Orbs of Knowledge (or something similar) to learn how to use the spell, kind of like a shout.

The context and lore tie in would be that the College of Whispers discovered some clues leading to the whereabouts of artifacts left behind by an ancient faction of warlocks that utilized souls as catalysts for their spells. (The College of Whispers is the opposition to the Synod which you see during the Mage Guild questchain and are only referenced in skyrim currently)

The spells I have thought of so far are

Debilitate - Completely drain the stamina of your target and suppress stamina regeneration for a duration.

Silence - Completely drain the mana of your target and suppress mana regeneration for a duration. (Also disables shouts on opponent)

Shadow Blast - Deals heavy damage to a single target and sets their soul ablaze for a short duration.

Lament of the Dead - Your captured soul is released, its wail assaults the souls of those nearby, causing them to be paralyzed/rooted for a duration (does not work on undead)

Soul Thorns - A spell that latches onto an apponent reducing all skills by a set amount for a duration, and causing mild to moderate damage over time.

Nightshade - Renders the surrounding area lightless, the caster gains SoulVision (mixture of night eye and aura whisper also adds muffle) your enemies cannot see, and due to the surprise of the attack, they are unable to register sounds for a duration. This ability will only work in enclosed areas.

What do you think?

Certainly sounds very interesting! I am simply thinking that instead of the orbs of knowledge if during the venture into these dungeons the player obtained the ready created soul gem that they can use either a set amount of times and then they must find it again or that is infinite or requires other soul gems to recharge it.

Otherwise, definitely sounds interesting, I'm not a heavy magic user so this does appeal to me :)

Certainly sounds very interesting! I am simply thinking that instead of the orbs of knowledge if during the venture into these dungeons the player obtained the ready created soul gem that they can use either a set amount of times and then they must find it again or that is infinite or requires other soul gems to recharge it.

Otherwise, definitely sounds interesting, I'm not a heavy magic user so this does appeal to me :smile:

I thought about that, but then they would need a different one on hand for every spell, it would also step on the toes of Azura's star instead of giving it more utility.

I also do plan on making durations, effects, and damage scale with the level of soul used in the spell.

Otherwise, definitely sounds interesting, I'm not a heavy magic user so this does appeal to me :smile:

I thought about that, but then they would need a different one on hand for every spell, it would also step on the toes of Azura's star instead of giving it more utility.

I also do plan on making durations, effects, and damage scale with the level of soul used in the spell.

True, but making them rechargable by the use of soul gems would aid Azura's Star and potentially make more people seek out the artifact :)

True, but making them rechargable by the use of soul gems would aid Azura's Star and potentially make more people seek out the artifact :smile:

Hmm I suppose if I went that route I could script it to have an increased effect based on its current charge level instead of the level of soul it used.

True, but making them rechargable by the use of soul gems would aid Azura's Star and potentially make more people seek out the artifact :smile:

Hmm I suppose if I went that route I could script it to have an increased effect based on its current charge level instead of the level of soul it used.

Would make for an interesting possiblity, when a player finds a Soul Magic Gem it could have a random charge? This may need several Great or Grand Souls to fill it fully? Not sure about you, but I find myself with an awful lot of soul gems I don't really need!