How to avoid selling displayable items in Legacy of the Dragonborn?

InDarkestNight

After starting up my previous game after months, I remembered why I abandoned it: I got a letter from the courier telling me I had sold an item displayable in the museum. Without anyway to know for certain if I had accidentally sold a one-of-a-kind item, I quit the playthrough for months.

I need a better way to keep track of what I need to collect and what I don't. Opening the MCM menus takes forever, and also takes time to manually scan each of them one by one. The sheer number of items is too much for me to keep track of. What do I need to do here? Right out every single item on a piece of paper so I can consult it rather than the insanely slow MCM? I asked this on the Legacy of the Dragonborn page, but never got a response.

This mod need something like the Curator's Companion for SE. Such is obviously never coming out though, since the LE version is abandoned.

Do I need to just horde every item I find just in case its unique? Thinking I need to only sell stuff through the cart in the safe house, so I can always use the auto-sorting feature to get rid of everything displayable in my inventory before I sell stuff.

On a side note, should I start the legacy of the dragonborn questline earlier? I was planning on doing the companions, all the thane quests, and the main questline before hand. That's a lot of playtime, and I'm sure to accumulate a huge number of items. Thinking that maybe I should go with the vanilla start and rush the main questline and starting the LotD questline second. That honestly may be the wiser idea. Not so sure about attempting the main questline so early, especially with elemental dragons installed, but really what else can I do? I did horde a huge number of items in a previous attempt, it took forever for the chest to load and lagged my game really hard. I'm not too keen on trying that again. Maybe I do need to open the museum early so I can start dumping off my stuff early.

Attempting to complete the museum 100% has been such a pain in the ass. I'm sick of restarting over and over. How many times must I do this before I finally have a playthrough where SOMETHING doesn't go wrong? There's still the freezing issue I mentioned before but got no help on. I've done every fix I can find on the internet already, I don't know what more I can do. I was contemplating putting more RAM in my computer, but I read that wouldn't really make a difference.

That's all a tangent though. I need a better way to ensure this doesn't happen again. Should I just start the LotD questline earlier and only sell items after I've dumped off stuff at the museum? I really hate having to restart yet another time.

Should I just start the LotD questline earlier and only sell items after I've dumped off stuff at the museum? I really hate having to restart yet another time.

Having just played LoTD, I'd say yes, this would be the best way to go about it. While the mod is fun and interesting it's also very intrusive to gameplay.

Get in the habit of going to the museum after every dungeon crawl, just in case you found things it wants. And that's almost everything. Every armor, every book can be displayed, even jewelry and animals have displays. Pretty much any item with a "name" will be displayed. Every quest item can be displayed, so also learn to use the Replicator so you can recreate them for display after you turn them in. Do Auryen's quests, those are specific new items that will be displayed. Walk around the museum and familiarize yourself with the items needed, keep a mental note.

And everytime you discover something unique, it's almost always going to be an item to display.

@showler That list is for the SE version, not LE. The LE page does have a PDF that lists everything it can display, though its not interactable. Also, its a whopping 114 pages, so printing it out would be unfeasible.

@Hanaisse And yeah, I agree, If you have this mod installed you need to have it be the center of your playthrough. On the other hand, the mod itself incorporates so many other mods that honestly it may be worth keeping installed just to save on ESP slots even if you don't plan on doing the museum.

Guess my best bet is to just re-design my quest order to do the main questline first, followed by starting LoTD. Everything else can be done in more or less the same order, though it would sorta odd to do the thane quests so soon BEFORE I start back-stabbing Jarls by doing the civil war quest. Oh well. Guess the CW quest can be delayed to much later to remedy this. I was planning on doing them in order based on which skills I was leveling at the time (starting with warrior skills, then ending with mage skills). Guess I don't have to TECHNICALLY complete ALL of the 'class-specific guilds' once I max the skills for that class, though it would probably be a bad idea to start leveling completely different skills before my initial ones are done. Oh well.

And yes, this has proven itself to be a major operation.

Sigh, this is such an annoyance.

The reason I chose the order I did, was because you have to complete all the thane quests before either the civil war or 'season unending'. If I do the main questline first, certain jarls and their guards could vanish forever, making certain items impossible to obtain. Even more annoying, some of the thane quests have a pretty high level requirement, such as Thane of the Pale which needs you to be level 22 just to start its prerequisite quest!

Clearly if I do change my quest order and start the main questline early, I'm going to have to take it very slowly and become thane every hold (outside of the ones that definitely won't get replaced, which are obviously few) before I get to season unending. I'll also have to acquire the guard armors too. No idea how I can do that without incurring a bounty, especially since I'll be going warrior first. Maybe I need to change my skill order so I work on the stealth skills first? I'll be leveling archery quite a lot if I start the main quest early.

Fml. I'm probably going to have to re-think my entire quest order, and even what skills I level. I can't wait to complete this stupid challenge its proving to be such a headache. Honestly, it may be simpler for me to just horde everything I gather in either breezehome or lydia's inventory until I unlock the museum. Still doesn't solve the issue with the thane weapons and guard armors, but as I said I guess I'll just be taking breaks from the main questline to do some side quests. Maybe I can go do them while Delphine is 'setting up her plan' for me. I do often use that as a break anyway. Fun times...

I've never heard of these 'crates' before. Can't find anything about them for LE. Why must the LE version be abandoned despite Bethesda's shenanigans trying to stop SE mods from working, seriously? The makers of LotD were even willing to bend and finally offer support for CC despite swearing that they would never do so. Would they rather bend to bethesda than play the version that can actually be modded without fuss? I just don't get why anyone plays SE anymore. So what if it runs better for most people (which I'm not a part of for some reason), SE's only good if you want to play the vanilla game+CC. You want mods, you play LE, plain and simple. That stupid CC update literally meant nothing to me. I just kept casually playing the game as I had before, while everyone else was futzing trying to get their games to just run. Sorry for the tangent, I'm just so sick of bethesda's endless war against the modding community. Can we even win, seriously?