Skyrim has stopped working

OBF

Hi guys. I'm sure you've seen this problem multiple times, but I think it's always nice to get an answer to a question you asked personally. Anyways. As soon as I start Skyrim I get a "Skyrim has stopped working" error, and the game crashes. This is everything under the details section. I'm not very tech-savvy so I don't understand much of it.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TESV.exe
Application Version: 1.9.32.0
Application Timestamp: 51437ce5
Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 51a79c8e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00001ba9
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
All help is appreciated!

The faulting module is a DirectX dll, though that doesn't necessarily mean the module is faulty. It could be many things.

Have you recently updated any software or installed any new hardware?

As a first guess, I'd run the dxdiag program and see if it gives you any hints. Hold down the Windows button and press the "R" key. A Run dialog should pop up. Type in dxdiag and hit enter. It will take a few seconds, then tell you the status of DirectX software on your machine. On the different tabs there are tests you can run. I would do the tests to verify the DirectX system. If it identifies a problem, it will usually give you some options to pursue.

Then fire up your video card control progam and make sure you have the latest video drivers. After that, you might verify the game cache from Steam.

Edited by Lord Garon

No. Steam only looks at the files it installed for Skyrim, and any DLC, and checks them. It ignores any "extra" stuff, like mods. Back them up if you're worried about it.

I'm going to need some additional info to keep going if the Verify Cache doesn't help.

What version of Windows are you running?

Go in Steam, click on Help up top, and click System Information. Let me know the following:

DirectX Card:

Driver Version:

Do you have Administrator priveleges or know the password?

Has Skyrim EVER run on that computer? If so, when did it break?

Do you have a Skyrim ENB installed? ENB puts a d3d9.dll in your Skyrim directory and that one is used instead of the system d3d9.dll. I mention this because some utilities that monitor VRAM/GPU or Overclocking status also use d3d9.dll and the ENB version doesn't work well with those utilities. Try disabling any monitor utilities you have while running Skyrim.

Edited by Lord Garon

• 2 years later...