A Collection of FLAWS in FO4 LORE ~ add your own!

Drivinghard

Well I just found a biggie :smile:
Why would TV's, Radios, Projectors, or any other RELICS from before the war be named "Radiation .. anything?"
If the world was not polluted with Radiation until AFTER the war..
then how is it possible that there are RELIC Places, Objects, Characters named "Nuka anything at all" from BEFORE the war?

eagerly attentive to YOUR discoveries please share :smile:

Wayner

Edited by Drivinghard

nope! not logical.. certainly from a food marketing perspective,

and electrical devices which used electricity but were misleadingly brand named "Radiation something,"
would be false advertising :smile:

Edited by Drivinghard

and electrical devices which used electricity but were misleadingly brand named "Radiation something,"

Ah, but, your TV DOES put out radiation. :D

Ah, but, your TV DOES put out radiation. :D

the pre war tv type for sure... soe offers also flat scrrens ;)

I don't think you've thought this through very carefully. You're confusing 'brand name' with claims the manufacturer/retailer makes about a product or service - brand names are generally seen as a signal as opposed to factual claims about product quality, reliability, features etc which are generally the consequential aspects of any claims about false advertising.

Further, I'm not that familiar with Fallout lore, but it would be totally plausible that the terms 'radiation' and 'nuclear' possessed only good connotations for consumers - a virtually limitless, clean energy source that enabled a superior standard of living. Of course our associations with those terms are coloured by disturbing and catastrophic events in history - Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, nuclear war, etc. They may seem like flaws to you but that's because you're filtering them through your own real-world view.

I don't think you've thought this through very carefully. You're confusing 'brand name' with claims the manufacturer/retailer makes about a product or service - brand names are generally seen as a signal as opposed to factual claims about product quality, reliability, features etc which are generally the consequential aspects of any claims about false advertising.

Further, I'm not that familiar with Fallout lore, but it would be totally plausible that the terms 'radiation' and 'nuclear' possessed only good connotations for consumers - a virtually limitless, clean energy source that enabled a superior standard of living. Of course our associations with those terms are coloured by disturbing and catastrophic events in history - Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, nuclear war, etc. They may seem like flaws to you but that's because you're filtering them through your own real-world view.

Agreed.

Those names and that culture are tongue in cheek nod to a extrapolated 50ies cultire where anything seemed possible and "atomic", "nuclear" and radiation" have not had such emotional threat responses attached to them.

Agreed.

Those names and that culture are tongue in cheek nod to a extrapolated 50ies cultire where anything seemed possible and "atomic", "nuclear" and radiation" have not had such emotional threat responses attached to them.

During the fifties nuclear power did get treated as the new world wonder. They did design nuclear powered cars, planes, tanks etc. & then discovered you would get sick and die, sitting next to it.

They took all but the last bit for the fallout world & moved on from there. So people are used to all the nuclear & radiation stuff. Nuka cola actually has a radioactive isotope added. "Quantum" did make people glow in the dark. The lore is actually quite extensive about the use of anything nuclear & radiation.

All that, without war. Which did come and lasted for a while before going MAD. So people where living with Armageddon as a real threat around the corner for the last few years or so.

All in all the naming isn't that strange, imho.

To add:

The entire main story-line is flawed.

[edit: SPOILER ALERT!]

I went in totally blank the first time I played FO4. I knew nothing about what was going to happen.

I walk into the final room: Ah, cryo chambers. Doc goes blahblah, me: Yeah right. This is a cryo chamber. Not for examination. Don't bullshit me.

Ok, so i get in and, surprise: I freeze.

...then I thaw, thinking: how much time has passed?

Wife gets shot, totally for nothing. He could have easily grabbed the baby from her arms. She is powerless anyway waking up from cryo ...

Baby taken. You freeze again.

... then get thawed again. Again I think "how much time passed this time? How old is my child, if he lives?"

...but the games MC remains totally oblivious to it all ...

Meanwhile, ALL other residents are dead.

& then you learn it was all about non-irritated DNA.

Each & everyone of the people there would suffice for that. So they killed their entire (valuable) 'stock', all but you. For what exactly?

& it would have been so much easier & safer if Shaun just thawed you himself and explained everything right there, never giving you the chance to develop hate towards the institute while having a high chance getting killed on the way. All but ensuring you will take his place. (but the game would be over after the intro movie :laugh: )

edit:

But the game makes you search with an MC who (at first at least) is looking for a baby, while I'm already aware the one I'm looking for might have died of old age, 100 years ago ...

Edited by RoNin1971

To add:

The entire main story-line is flawed.

[edit: SPOILER ALERT!]

I went in totally blank the first time I played FO4. I knew nothing about what was going to happen.

I walk into the final room: Ah, cryo chambers. Doc goes blahblah, me: Yeah right. This is a cryo chamber. Not for examination. Don't bullshit me.

Ok, so i get in and, surprise: I freeze.

...then I thaw, thinking: how much time has passed?

Wife gets shot, totally for nothing. He could have easily grabbed the baby from her arms. She is powerless anyway waking up from cryo ...

Baby taken. You freeze again.

... then get thawed again. Again I think "how much time passed this time? How old is my child, if he lives?"

...but the games MC remains totally oblivious to it all ...

Meanwhile, ALL other residents are dead.

& then you learn it was all about non-irritated DNA.

Each & everyone of the people there would suffice for that. So they killed their entire (valuable) 'stock', all but you. For what exactly?

& it would have been so much easier & safer if Shaun just thawed you himself and explained everything right there, never giving you the chance to develop hate towards the institute while having a high chance getting killed on the way. All but ensuring you will take his place. (but the game would be over after the intro movie :laugh: )

Well, 60 years passed between your first wakeup, and the second.... and I thought the rest of the folks died from a malfunction? Or did the institute actually whack 'em dead? (that indeed does NOT make any sense....) So, given the passage of time, and Shawns age when he was taken, he doesn't have a clue who you are. There are no emotional attachments at all. I am not entirely sure he even CARED if you made it out or not..... If that was a major concern, why way half a century to spring you?