Infinite Loading Screen

MoonSh4d3

I have a ton of mods but the infinite loading screen only seems to happen after I save and quit to return later at specific locations. The first time i ran into this problem, I had entered Whiterun and saved and exited. Later I tried to load it up and got stuck with an infinite loading screen and the sound of water, like a running river. I was able to boot the game up by just loading a save outside of whiterun. Didn't run into the problem again. Later on, I went to Dawnguard and got the quest to go to Dimhallow Crypt to kill vampires. So I go and kill most of the vampire but had to go to work, so i saved in the crypt. Later, I try to boot up the save and i got an infinite loading screen. I tried to remove mods in bulk to try and figure out which is the problem for 3 hours without luck. I'm worried ill corrupt the save so I stopped. I tried to load up the old save I had at dawnguard and it also has an infinite loading screen. I have a ton of mods but I'm sure its one of the bigger ones like texture overhaul or something. Anyone have any idea on what it likely is?

when you get a partial load like that, have you ever tried force killing it with program manager, then doing it once more (and even once more after if it fails again)?. I've had situations where it takes a few tries, as if Skyrim housekeeping is a bit behind and just catching up (for instance, after I've installed a new mod recently and its contents haven't been incorporated into the save I'm opening.

I'd avoid wiping any mods to try to open a problematic save, that can just compound the issue. If you can't get it to open and suspect some new mod, you may have to accept backtracking to a working save after purging the offending mod

I'd also strongly advise you not to uninstall multiple mods back to back. That's often a recipe for disaster, since it can result in load order changes that a save file can't resolve.

I can't force kill the program because of the loading screen going full black if I try to switch screens or anything related. I have to reset my whole PC to stop skyrim by that point. No idea what it is honestly.

Hmm.

To avoid such a harsh response to the game locking up, you should be able to use ctrl-alt-delete to call up the program manager (in most cases), and even if mouse control is temporarily lost, (sometimes is, sometimes isn't) scrolling through its screen to find and kill off the Skyrim instance (use the delete key to kill a program) should still be available via keyboard. If mouse is lost during such an event, it will come back once Skryim has been terminated (ie "killed" in my parlance)

I always open program manager and leave it open so that I can alt-tab into it if things go haywire, but even then, sometimes I have to resort to ctrl-alt-del to escape the Skyrim shell into program manager.

fyi, fwiw, ymmv.

best of luck

If Skyrim runs full-screen, having task manager open is no help. Either via alt-tab or ctrl alt del. Only thing that works is running 2 monitors, and have Task Manager open on secondary one.

fair enough. I've run in dual screen mode for so long (since the early 1990s) I forget that most folks only use one.

but these days, what cost me between ~$1K and ~$1500 back then, cost about $100 today, and they provide vastly more/better color reproduction, and pixel count. (not to mention FPS and at a fraction of the power drain)

moreover, most video cards today suitable for gaming provide a secondary port, if not three.

erm... at least on desktop PCs