Followers not following through Megaton and PF gates

ManicZ

So I've been playing Fallout 3 again to try out the "Ties that Bind" mod by thefourwings, and have installed a buttload of other mods as well.

Now, I've never played with followers before (not even Dogmeat, and only briefly with Fawkes), so I never really came upon this issue until now.

So, during the course of the quest Ties that Bind, you have to go through the Paradise Falls gate with Amanda, the mod's NPC, however, she doesn't follow me through the gate from Paradise Falls to the Wasteland when I pass through it. I had to tell her to head to another location before she can pass through the doors herself.

The same issue happens at Megaton. We can enter both Megaton and Paradise Falls with no problem, but she won't follow and stays at the gate on the other side if I exit.

At first, I thought it was just a bug from a really new, only recently released mod, and that I could live with the minor need to tell her to exit manually...

But then I recruited Dogmeat, and he had the same problem too. He would enter Megaton, but not exit unless I tell him to head to Vault 101.

So I went scouring for information around here, and only found a short mention that the Unofficial Patch for Fallout 3 may be the cause (something about messing up the navmesh for followers). However, I am reluctant to turn off the patch, since it makes my game so much more playable.

My second issue is that NPC's (followers being the main culprit) will sometimes have their weapons in their hand when idling or not in combat. Again, not a huge issue, since I usually just access my followers' inventories and when done, it returns to their holster/back. Still, I really hope i can find a fix for this as well.

So, I am basically asking: "Is there a mod that fixes these problems? or a way to edit my current mods to solve these problems?"

This is my load order.

-

[X] Fallout3.esm
[X] Anchorage.esm
[X] ThePitt.esm
[X] BrokenSteel.esm
[X] PointLookout.esm
[X] Zeta.esm
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
[X] URWLRain.esm
[X] Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm
[X] StreetLights.esm
[X] Project Beauty.esm
[X] CRAFT.esm
[X] CALIBR.esm
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
[X] EVE.esm
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
[X] RH_IRONSIGHTS.esm
[X] Point Lookout Reborn by Jcro25.esm
[X] ArefuExpandedByAzar.esm
[X] Destruction.esm
[X] iHUD.esm
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Operation Anchorage.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - The Pitt.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Point Lookout.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Mothership Zeta.esp
[X] AutoGates.esp
[X] DarNifiedUIF3.esp
[X] DynamicCrosshair.esp
[X] URWLRain - PointLookout.esp
[X] URWLRain - Anchorage.esp
[X] URWLRain - The Pitt.esp
[X] Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow in Fallout.esp
[X] Enhanced Weather - Radioactive Rain and Snow Plugin.esp
[X] Enhanced Weather - REBOOT.esp
[X] Enhanced Weather - Sneak Bonus during Storms.esp
[X] Enhanced Weather - Weather Sounds in Interiors.esp
[X] Flora Overhaul.esp
[X] DYNAVISION - Dynamic Lens Effect.esp
[X] ArefuExpandedByAzar-Radio.esp
[X] Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
[X] Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
[X] fgScrapMetalCrafting.esp
[X] UseableToilets.esp
[ ] UseableToiletsUninstalled.esp
[X] Realistic Megaton Shack - Final.esp
[X] Realistic Megaton Shack - Update 5.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (BrokenSteel).esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional VATS Halftime.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers (automatics only).esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Alternate Travel.esp
[X] WeaponModKits.esp
[X] WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
[X] WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
[X] WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
[X] WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
[X] WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
[X] WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp
[X] EVE.esp
[X] EVE Operation Anchorage.esp
[X] BBBackpacks-v1-1.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Basic_VanillaPlugin.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Basic_AnchoragePlugin.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Basic_PittPlugin.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Basic_BrokenSteelPlugin.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Basic_PointLookoutPlugin.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Basic_ZetaPlugin.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Pitt_NewRifleSights.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_PL_NewItems.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Vanilla_NewWeapons.esp
[X] RH_IronSights_Vanilla_BetterUniques.esp
[X] RH_WMK_Bridge.esp
[X] RH_EVE_Bridge.esp
[X] RH_FWE_Bridge.esp
[X] UPP - Pack 1.esp
[X] UPP - Original Perks.esp
[X] UPP - Quest Perks.esp
[X] UPP - Experience Perks.esp
[X] UPP - Pack 2.esp
[X] goat_perks.esp
[X] Destruction - Main.esp
[X] Destruction - Main - Statics.esp
[X] Destruction - DLC.esp
[X] Destruction - DLC - Statics.esp
[X] Destruction - CP - Fellout.esp
[X] Named Wasteland.esp
[X] Stop Insulting Me Outcasts.esp
[X] The5 Visors Mod F3.esp
[X] NotSoFast.esp
[X] TiesThatBind.esp
-
Thanks!

I'm not very good at this thing, but from my point of view, it sounds like there's either a problem with the locations (all followers will not enter), or those specific instances (ties that bind error). Perhaps you could try finding a non amanda follower, and seeing if they follow you through those too places? Doesn't solve much, but helps you narrow it down a bit.

Can I ask you a question too? you're running a lot of mods, some of which I can't get to work together. how did you install all that? (NMM/auto install from nexusmods)? furthermore, I can't see any compatability patches netween EVE/FWE/MMM/WMK, are those mods working well together? my understanding is that without them the game can go a tad wonky (unsure if that would be the cause of your NPC issues though).

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

So I went scouring for information around here, and only found a short mention that the Unofficial Patch for Fallout 3 may be the cause (something about messing up the navmesh for followers). However, I am reluctant to turn off the patch

Well, if it is the UFO that's messing things up, then it's easy to check. Start Fo3 without the UFO active and see if your followers will follow you through.

Regardless, you might want to get the Updated Unofficial Patch instead.

My second issue is that NPC's (followers being the main culprit) will sometimes have their weapons in their hand when idling or not in combat. Again, not a huge issue, since I usually just access my followers' inventories and when done, it returns to their holster/back. Still, I really hope i can find a fix for this as well.

Followers Fixer might fix that problem.

These plugins are redundant.

Use only one of these, not both.

Weather/lighting mods should always be placed all the way at the bottom of one's load order.

I'm not very good at this thing, but from my point of view, it sounds like there's either a problem with the locations (all followers will not enter), or those specific instances (ties that bind error). Perhaps you could try finding a non amanda follower, and seeing if they follow you through those too places? Doesn't solve much, but helps you narrow it down a bit.

Can I ask you a question too? you're running a lot of mods, some of which I can't get to work together. how did you install all that? (NMM/auto install from nexusmods)? furthermore, I can't see any compatability patches netween EVE/FWE/MMM/WMK, are those mods working well together? my understanding is that without them the game can go a tad wonky (unsure if that would be the cause of your NPC issues though).

Thanks!

I follow Gopher's Modding Videos. So far, it's been working well, no major issues for me.

So I went scouring for information around here, and only found a short mention that the Unofficial Patch for Fallout 3 may be the cause (something about messing up the navmesh for followers). However, I am reluctant to turn off the patch

Well, if it is the UFO that's messing things up, then it's easy to check. Start Fo3 without the UFO active and see if your followers will follow you through.

Regardless, you might want to get the Updated Unofficial Patch instead.

Followers Fixer might fix that problem.

These plugins are redundant.

Use only one of these, not both.

Weather/lighting mods should always be placed all the way at the bottom of one's load order.

Thank you very much for your advice! I had just updated the patch, and am getting followers' fixer.

In the meantime, I'll post another way of getting around the followers not following the player through doors problem. If you wait for one hour, they'll appear! It's not perfect, but it's way better than frequently clicking three times to get them to move!

I have the same problem with Paradise Falls and Megaton with my companions and I don't use Ties that bind, so the problem must be caused by another mod. However, one of my mods adds a fast travel marker outside the Megaton gate. If I fast travel from Megaton to outside the gate or from Paradise Falls to the Paradise Falls map marker, my companions travel with me.

Also, Streetlights should be located after The Pitt and before Broken Steel.

Edited by M48A5

• 2 weeks later...

Also having the same problem with followers not appearing on other sides of gates/doors - including the Citadel. I'm running a fraction of the mods ManicZ lists and using the GOTY edition of the game. The companions used to follow through no problem, then, at some point, they just stopped doing it. The only way I 've found to get them to show is to also wait for them to eventually make it on their own. It's annoying so I too wouldn't mind a solution or at least a culprit so a solution could be worked out!

It seems to have something to do with areas that are part of the Wasteland worldspace but cordoned off - unlike places where you go inside to a new cell or a new worldspace like one of the DLCs or similar mods. It's got to be something that's related to this and companions that's at the source of this...

Hey guys, so just a quick update. I've been tweaking with more mods (adding and removing), and the issue with followers not going through the gates is still present. One consistent fix is the wait fix, where you just wait one hour and your followers will appear. It's a little immersion-breaking, but incredibly minor in the grand scheme of things, so I'm okay with it.

As to the issue of followers having their weapons on their wrists from time to time, Follower Fixer, as recommended by BlackRampage (Thanks, friend!), does help. It even works for custom followers, which is nice! Another bonus is that the mod also fixes the Original set of followers not walking through the gates. So Dogmeat now follows me past Megaton, while I then wait for an hour for Amanda.

Thanks again for the input! Hope this post helped others who are having the same issue as me!

• 1 year later...