Starting to mod again after some time not playing

Icefish77

So I have not played Skyrim since around AE came out but was thinking of getting back in to it. But I got two questions before I begin.

1. I like to know if many of the older popular mods are available on AE version or do I need to downgrade my Skyrim version to last SE version to be able to run those mods? ( I seen some modders put version compatable in descriptions but not all. )

2. And if I need to downgrade dose it hinter me using newer mods I find intrresting and like to try out?

Take a look at this ( https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins ). It has a (mostly?) current listing of mod compatibilities and alternatives/updates for older mods.

I am sure that someone else will come along to help with your second question, but I 'think' that the "best of both worlds" version will allow you to use the newer mods. I do NOT use the downgrade at all, so am not sure.

FWIW, and deferring to Leonidas's advise, a general thing to keep in mind is that some older files we took for granted in 1.,5.97 and previous SE variants, (like Netscript Framework), don't (AFAIK) work in AE, so you have to be a bit careful with what you choose, and even which specific files you install (since 1.5.97 (SE) and 1.6x (AE) are often being supported with separate file versions of a given mod, sometimes isolated to their own web pages, and sometimes even folded into a singular SE/AE Fomod installer, but many are within the same mod page in separate distributables on the files tab, and accidental mis-installations are still somewhat common.

Things got updated. The new content in AE is now needed by many new mods. Most of the new plugin development - if not all - is for AE. SKSE has some new functionality and there are mods that make use of it. Unless you absolutely 100% gotta have NSF, I would go for the latest (1.6.640)

I did use the modding.wiki above to set up my fresh install of 1.6.353 (about 1 month before 1.6.640 was released, of course. Didn't run into any problems then, the posted versions/alternatives worked well. Still running it until I upgrade again for the next playthrough.