No, children, I can't turn you invisible!

enderes

There's one thing about children in Skyrim that I find partiuclarly annoying. It's when one of them sees me cast a spell, and s/he starts talking to me. "Oh you're a mage! Can you cast a spell to turn me invisible?" I wish to have this feature, this interaction, disabled.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just something they said as I walked by. But when it happens, it stops what I'm doing & takes me into a dialogue box. It can be problematic if I'm in a hurry. And it's COMPLETELY pointless. You can't turn the kids invisible. It makes no difference what option you select, other than what the kid says in response. It's not like most automatic NPC dialogue where you get something (like a courier offering a note), or that progresses a quest, or where there may be consequences depending on your response (like a highwayman attempting to mug you, or a guard catching you committing a crime).

It's just there to give random kids more "character", but there's no functional value to it so there's no reason it should stop you & open a dialogue box.
Sometimes I'll be walking through a city, casing Muffle & Rally repeatedly to powerlevel Illusion, and if I see kids nearby then I'll put my hands away & wait until they're gone, just out of fear that they'll see me and come up asking me to turn them invisible. Even worse was when I was trying to do something sneaky (like break into a house, possibly for a thieves guild or dark brotherhood quest), & needed to re-cast Muffle since stealth was vital, and there was a kid close enough to see me who came up & did the dialogue. It almost ruined my stealth & made me get caught.

Someone please tell me there's a way to get kids to just continue what they're doing & leave me alone I happen to pass by them while casting magic spells?

Humm, cast courage or some other spell on them. They say something like "I am not invisible", but they stop doing that thing.

So you're saying that I can respond in such a way that the same kid won't do this repeatedly? That I'll only have to suffer through it once per child, & then not again?

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Humm, cast courage or some other spell on them. They say something like "I am not invisible", but they stop doing that thing.

... This is going to sting a little, but when I am done, you will be "invisible"...

(duel cast Lightening bolt)

*if you survive*

To Guard: I am Thane, I demand you leave me be....

On a serious note:

I've been hunting for the trigger for that dialog, with no luck so far, as I too want them to not even ask, and mind their own business. Considering I have had them sleeping, when I cast it, just for them to wake up and ask me that question, so in my opinion it's just a bug that needs to be fixed. And in this case, totally removed to stop breaking the Skyrim Lore.... "Nords do not like magic, unless it's an enchantment", as the mages at the collage seem to always say.

I've been hunting around for a mod, or anything really, that does the same thing. It's my #1 annoyance at the moment, lol. Most of my characters are Mages and, for a change I'd like to walk through Riverwood in peace, without being force-greeted by Frodnar or whatever that boy's name is. The only thing I do now is disable him while I'm there, then re-enable him when I'm leaving.

There's the No Force Greet mod but that doesn't cover much, certainly not kids.

I also poked around a bit in the CS but having never really used it before (my old PC used to almost choke trying to open it, let alone do anything, lol) I didn't know what I was looking for. I much prefer using TES5Edit, I know what I'm doing in there. I couldn't see where to edit that, though.

It's the WICastMagic01 quest started by the story manager. Unfortunately you can't easily disable it from the console without disabling other world interaction events.

If you're willing to disable some of the other events you can set the WINextUseMagic global variable to a really large number. But the quest that gives you those "Letter from a Friend" hints about World Walls is controlled by that same variable.

If you use the CK you can edit the quest condition properties. It's already set to not trigger until you're level 5 and in a location that allows such events.