Skez

Hey all!

Been playing Skyrim since release and always been interested in making mods. Did lots of stuff for GTA San Andreas when that was current to PC.

But until now I didn't know what to do and I didn't want to make a mod "just because".

What's Nexus Mods standing on uploading mods with copyrighted (I mean really copyrighted) music into a music-swapping-mod?

The music in question is music from the Lord of the Rings and the two Hobbit movies. I'm asking because I realize this music is heavily copyrighted and can't be used just like that. My mod is almost finished and if I'm not allowed to upload it here at least I can use it myself but I would love to share it with the rest of the Skyrim community.

Regards,

Skez

In order to be allowed to upload copyrighted content (both legally and within the rules), you would have to obtain permission from the copyright holder to do so, and would also likely need to provide the Nexus team with documented proof that you have such permission. Without that permission, you can't upload it to the Nexus.

I thought so. Too bad actually, I guess there's lots of people playing Skyrim who would like to try playing with the music from the Tolkien movies. :/

Back to Morrowind there was a mod which included soundtracks from Conan the Barbarian... may I suggest to try them while facing an army? :-P

But returning into topic, an idea would be (if doable) a mod which can use soundtracks from mp3 files in a folder, so everyone could put the wanted music, without the needing to upload it.

McClaud is correct.

However there is some great free-to-use music around that is wonderful. I suggest if you wish to share your mod you can look into that. Lesser known artist may be willing to allow their music to be used in a mod to get some recognition. It never hurts to ask as the worst they can do is say no.

Just make sure if you use anything you keep all the documentation showing you have permission and show credit where credit is due.

If you have other questions ask..or reference the Terms of Service here http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules.

Back to Morrowind there was a mod which included soundtracks from Conan the Barbarian... may I suggest to try them while facing an army? :-P

But returning into topic, an idea would be (if doable) a mod which can use soundtracks from mp3 files in a folder, so everyone could put the wanted music, without the needing to upload it.

There is this one which seem simple enough, you can use .wav files or convert the music to .xwm (which is basically what I've been doing all night!)

McClaud is correct.

However there is some great free-to-use music around that is wonderful. I suggest if you wish to share your mod you can look into that. Lesser known artist may be willing to allow their music to be used in a mod to get some recognition. It never hurts to ask as the worst they can do is say no.

Just make sure if you use anything you keep all the documentation showing you have permission and show credit where credit is due.

If you have other questions ask..or reference the Terms of Service here http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules.

I'm going to play with this one myself for a while. I'll see in the future if I find something as epic as the LotR/Hobbit music Howard Shore composed for the movies as CC-licensed or just completely copyright free. Thanks!