OBSE isn't working with steam

Your willingness to both keep grinding on the problem and report back his greatly appreciated GravityWave. :thumbsup:

That Steam.exe needs to run as administrator is both news to me and welcome news. Now I'll have something to offer when other Win 8.1 victims ... err I mean users hit the same wall. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... I won't ever use Microsoft's "phone/tablet" operating system. When/if my non-gaming laptop dies one of the criteria it's replacement must meet is it will run Windows 7. If the answer is no I'll just keep looking. Fortunately I'm not a laptop gamer, so any desktop I build will be Win 7 safe (already have a copy of Win 7 waiting for the next build).

As far as I know that OBSE Tester will work and report the OBSE version number even on Steam machines. When it can't find a working OBSE install it gives that outdated warning/report. That utility was last updated long before Steam got their claws ... err acquired the rights to Oblivion.

• 3 weeks later...

30 days later after Shadow posts this thread...

Brought oblivion downloaded 55 mods downloaded obse did everything i had to runned OBSE "You need to enable Steam Community In Game" did dat... Still didnt work... Looked for 2 hrs striaght activating mods on NMM found this thread... downloaded the link... OBSE IS WORKING WOOOO THX DUDE LUV U SO MUCH <3 <3 ive download oblivion n i was sooooo pissed thx dude :)

• 4 months later...

I'm having this same issue with GOTY Oblivion from Steam.

I came across this posting, does anyone know what they mean by reinstalling it to the Steam folder? How do I do this, in a step by step, please?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/22330/discussions/0/620700960804864143/

I sent an add message to them but I'm afraid they may not contact me back.

• 6 months later...

UPDATE: So, i think I've narrowed down my problem. Even though I have steam community enabled in-game, the little dialog box saying 'press shift + tab for steam community' or something like that isn't showing up when I stat the game. Also, I sent a support ticket to Bethesda regarding the steam community issue, but of course they won't reply.

@venusian what operating system do you have? I have Windows 8.1, and i'm thinking that may have something to do with the problem- upgrading from windows 8 caused all sorts of compatibility problems for me. Unfortunately, I can't rollback my OS anymore :sad:

UPDATE 2: I finally got it to work! Someone on the topic I opened in the steam community forums had the answer. Apparently, all I needed was this older steam loader:

steam://openurl/http://media.steampowered.com/content/obse_loader.zip

downloaded it and put it in my oblivion folder and then ran it and it worked!

Thank you i had the same issue :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I got it!

1) Close Steam
2) Install OBSE 21
3) Install the obse_loader.exe from that file
4) Run Steam.exe as an administrator and run Oblivion through Steam

If this doesn't work, try inserting a bunch of reboots and deletions of oblivion.ini, and/or running various things in administrator mode.

• 1 year later...

I got it!

1) Close Steam

2) Install OBSE 21

3) Install the obse_loader.exe from that file

4) Run Steam.exe as an administrator and run Oblivion through Steam

If this doesn't work, try inserting a bunch of reboots and deletions of oblivion.ini, and/or running various things in administrator mode.

This was the only solution that actually worked for the current date on the Oblivion Steam Version. Thank you, RanDomino! :cool:

• 3 months later...

Ah, thank you so much for this! I'd done everything in this forum, aside from launching Oblivion directly from Steam. I gave that a shot and as soon as I loaded my last save, S.P.A.M. activated before OBSE Tester popped up! You're awesome, all of you!

Edit: Just to clarify, OBSE Tester confirmed that OBSE was infact working.

Edited by WhoNeedsSanityAnyways