After recruiting Gunmar and Sorine and going back to Fort Dawnguard, Isran checks that none of us are vampires, sends Gunmar and Sorine off to 'get acquainted with the space' and summons the player upstairs to 'have a little chat with the vampire that's showed up looking for you'. The quest 'A New Order' completes here.

This is where the problems start, Serana (who is supposed to be upstairs in the torture room) is nowhere to be seen and the quest 'Prophet' doesn't start.

Serana is actually in Castle Volkihar, not even attempting to go to Fort Dawnguard.

I've tried using the quest to startquest, setstage etc. but the quest 'Prophet' (DLC1VQ03Hunter) remains at stage 0.

I've also tried moving Serana to Fort Dawnguard using 'prid' and 'moveto player' console commands, Serana is teleported to the fort but Isran just ignores her and she walks back to Castle Volkihar.

This must be a mod conflict, but I've tried disabling all mods that could possibly affect Dawnguard/Serana and the problem still occurs, disabling any more mods just makes my game too unstable to test.

Is there anything more I can try besides re-installing and starting everything from scratch?

Any help much appreciated.

Edit: I would post my mod list but copy and pasting it into a post doesn't work. Maybe it's too long.

Edited by zac dorkus

I have this exact same problem. I uninstalled any Serana related mods and went back to a save before I started dawnguard. When I got to that point again the Prophet quest would still not start and Serana wasn't upstairs in the fort where she should be. I haven't found a solution. Possibly uninstalling the Dawnguard DLC itself, saving, then reinstalling it? I don't know if doing that would have negative repercussions on the save though. I may try it tonight. I've read that usually if a broken quest can't be fixed via console commands it is usually a script problem, and scripts are "baked in" to your save gave from what I understand.

Hey rantrim, would you be able to post a list of your active mods so I can compare them with mine? We may be able to find the faulty/conflicting mods that way. For now I've just given up with Dawnguard completely but if you do decide to try re-installing let me know how it goes, as it's something I haven't tried yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@ zac dorkus: the 7 month later solution to this aggravating vanilla glitch is straightforward. The 2 NPC recruits (who you previously recruited) need to be standing on the same side of the gates (as your character) that Isran just raised. More specifically, they need to be standing in the circle at the center of the room. But the problem is the NPC AI either didn't move them fast enough, or the game activated the gates too soon. So the automatic cut scene you were supposed to see-- immediately after entering the front doors--never occurs like it should (with the 2 NPCs standing in the center of the hall). So the New Order quest cannot complete in order to trigger the Prophet quest line. This trigger can only happen if those 2 NPCs are positioned on the correct side of the gates.

So with the understanding I'm committing thread necromancy, this is for anyone else who was stuck with this game breaking glitch. Two ways to do this:

Way #1:

go up to each NPC, click on each of them and use the moveto player command in the console window

Way #2 (best way):

1. Go to the edge of the circular marking in the center of the floor (or stand in it's center).

2. Open the console and summon the NPCs (who are stuck behind the now raised gates using the prid command:-

for Sorine: prid 03003475

*press enter*

moveto player

for Gunmar: prid 03003477

*press enter*

moveto player

3. Close the console window.

Both NPCs will be immediately teleported to your side. Then they'll turn around and walk into the circle and take their respective positions. At that point, Isran will begin addressing them, telling them to stop as he gives them the vampire light test. After watching this cut scene, Isran will lower the gates and the quest will update to trigger the Prophet quest. You're now free to talk to Gunmar or Sorine and begin the DG faction quest lines from these members.

Speaking and helping Sorine at your earliest opportunity after this point is highly recommended. Her quest will teach you how to craft (or buy) a vastly improved upgraded version of crossbow. As well as crafting/buying some really cool enchanted bolts which provide a huge advantage against fighting vamps (and other enemy NPCs as well).

Way #2 is the best way since the 2 NPCs will be automatically in the correct positions they need to be when speaking with Isran. Way #1 creates a potential timing issue with this cut scene (as each NPC may not have enough time to walk to their positions in the circle when Isran begins to address them)

Edited by AlarictheVisgoth

• 3 months later...

I recently had this same problem myself. I know how frustrating it can be, so I'm posting this so if anyone else has this problem they will know how I solved it.

To fix this I had to start a whole new game, and these are the only mods I had activated:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
RaceCompatibility.esm
SkyUI.esp
AchieveThat.esp
RaceMenu.esp
The Ningheim.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
Civil War Overhaul.esp
I wish I could say exactly which mod or combination of mods causes this problem, but starting a new game with this relatively basic setup solved it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem:
- I have the Legendary Edition
- Before that bug, no mod, just the content of Legendary Edition (Skyrim,Dawnguard,Heartfire,DragonBorn)
- New order quest finished (Gunmar and Sorine seem well placed in the middle of the circle)
- Isran mention someone and tell me to have a little chat. I climb upstairs. He’s waiting in the torture room, alone.
- Took an old saved game
- Installed the Unofficial Patch (for the game and for all DLCs), after the bug. Didn’t fix anything.

The solution was the following command line :
setstage DLC1VQ03Hunter 5

I found information about the quest (ID, Stage) in the "Journal Entry" section of that page :
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Prophet_(Dawnguard)
(now if I face another quest bug, I will know where to find the info).

No need to take an old saved game.
After the command, I headed to Fort Dawnguard : Serana was waiting in the torture room and Isran arrived soon after me.

I know that the command was already mentioned, but maybe not anyone tried it.

I was very frustrated and disappointed by that bug because I’m a huge fan of Elder Scrolls game (since Daggerfall) and I felt that I would miss a lot of Dawnguard content/quests.
It took me some times to understand that there was a problem (doing all Sorine quests and many iterations of Gunmar and Isran repetitive quests).
I searched for solution for one week and gave up for a moment.

So, I hope that can help you too.
Give it a try and let us know.

Edited by stephocanada