Help me: Merging/Combining parts of two different armors?

DerGrizzly95

Hello!

I am not exactly an expert when it comes to using the G.E.C.K. or modding in general.

I basically want to combine parts of two different armors.

I would like to combine the upper part of this armor: http://static1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/130/images/40227-2-1312024065.jpg (third armor from the left)

with the bottom part of this armor: http://static2.nexusmods.com/15/mods/130/images/44711-4-1320978995.jpg (third and fourth from the left).

Both of these armors obviously come from armor mods (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40227/? and http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44711/?).

It would be great if it was possible to merge them into one armor, but I also consider the option to make the upper and the bottom part "armor addons" (I believe there is such an option in the G.E.C.K.). and then just wear both parts together.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer. A detailed description on how to do it would be the best for me.

If you have any questions or did not understand what I mean, just ask me.

Thanks in advance,

Grizzly (who hopes it is not that complicated)

it's not complicated at all.

you need to download nifskope, use one of the existing armor. Say you use the top part of that armor. Remove the block (armor piece of the bottom part) and that copy the block (the bottom part of the armor) and paste it over ninode 0. Then make sure the texture path is correct and than it should be in game easily.

First of all, thank you for your answer!

I downloaded nifskope and loaded the armor from which I want to use the top part. How do I remove the bottom part of it? There is a block called 'Upperbody', but it contains both the top and the bottom part. I can't find the block which only contains the bottom part.

I found that the armor from which I want to use the bottom part has a seperate nif file only for the bottom part of it. Can I just copy that over nincode 0 after I have removed the bottom part of the first armor?

I believe my texture path is correct (...FNV/data), looks good.

EDIT: Alright, I was able to copy the bottom part I want over, but I still have the same problem: there is no seperate block only for the bottom part I want to remove. Bottom and top are one block, but I only want to keep the top part. Now I do have two bottom parts on one armor.

It seems as if some armors have different parts of the armor in different blocks and some armors just have it in one block. Is there a way to seperate the bottom from the top, if both are in the same block?

EDIIT2: Okay, I googled around a bit. Seems as if I would have to seperate them using some 3d program like blender, but I guess that is getting more and more complicated.

Edited by DerGrizzly95

i use blender for that stuff. I generally import models into blender then export them to a dummy file. I open up the dummy file in nifscope and transfer it over to an existing file. I do that because most of the animation nodes such as the meat caps and stuff rarely if ever import and export properly.

for what youre doing, import it into blender. delete the stuff you dont want and export it. (make sure to select the shadowmap tab(only for armor. everything else such as weapons dont have that selected))

copy/paste the blocks into where you want it.

hopefully you dont get rigging errors. such as bad clipping and stuff. then youd have to boneweight copy the parts. thats a pain in the ass IMO. expecially if you have to manually adjust after a boneweight copy. you shouldnt have that problem though.

Edited by MBile

If the armors are in one block than you are going have to use 3ds max or blender to separate them which isn't too hard. Switch it to vertices, so you see all of the dots on the armor, highlight the bottom part and remove it. Do the same for the other armor, and than combine the two in nifskope.

Okay, I have tried separating them, but without any success. I was able to export the .nif file and save it as an .obj file and then import in to Blender.

However, I have no clue what to do then. All those options...I do not even know how to rotate the camera or anything.

Can anybody give me detailed instructions on how to separate the two parts? Like, how do I highlight parts etc.

Or maybe there is someone who would separate the parts for me, I would provide the exported .obj file.

I use 3ds max so I have no idea how blender works, although some claim it's easier to use

I recall using 3ds max a long time ago. I didnt like it much. I used a program called milkshape which was pretty good for its time. blender is pretty easy to do most stuff.

Okay, I have tried separating them, but without any success. I was able to export the .nif file and save it as an .obj file and then import in to Blender.

However, I have no clue what to do then. All those options...I do not even know how to rotate the camera or anything.

Can anybody give me detailed instructions on how to separate the two parts? Like, how do I highlight parts etc.

Or maybe there is someone who would separate the parts for me, I would provide the exported .obj file.

ok quick tips for blender. Youll have a bar with a drop down menu thingy on it. it has Object Mode by default. when you have something there you can get texture paint, weight paint, vertex paint scupt mode, edit mode.

you have to first select the mesh part you want to edit. it should be highlighted. once selected go into Edit mode. youll have a few options here. on that same bar Try using Vertex Select Mode. you can now manually select the dots using right clicks. if you need to select more, hold shift and click. or my personal favorite to select masses of vertices on one mesh: Ctrl+Numpad +.

you can delete that all now if needed.

when done select everything by spamming A. go back to object mode.

select everything again spamming A.

go to file > export > NetImmerse/Gamebryo Nif.

make sure shadow map is selected and name your file.

go to nifscope and copy + paste your mesh nodes into old file.

hopefully no problems occured.

Edited by MBile

actually you can also do manuall separation. while in Edit mode, have all the parts you want selected manually go go to the Mesh menu and go into Vertices. in there you will see Separate (P). you can manually separate stuff if you dont want to delete it, into different mesh nodes.