Dragon Age Crash

cabius

Any or all of the above could be the source of your CtDs. With the first one being the most likely.

Denerim is the most crash-prone area of the game. It actually uses a method of handling where the Party is and how they interact with the environment that's significantly different from all other areas.

On top of that, IA makes the most changes to the surrounding environments, and the actions going on there.

For example; in the Nov 2012 update to IA, the author of IA said:

- A temporary fix for the crash people are experiencing in Denerim and the Mage Tower during the Mage Origin section is available. All it does is unequip one of the new mage robes (found in the Apostate Clothes folder) from female mages. The game may still crash if either Morrigan or Wynne have one of the three new robes (Mage Tutor Robe, Dark Robe, or Apostate Clothes) equipped and are not being controlled by the player. Indeed, it seems the models for the new robes are incompatible with one or several of the female gesture animations, thus the game crashes when a character attempts to use the conflicting animation.

This is just one example of the kind of thing that can happen with IA.

Worse, once installed it can be impossible to uninstall IA (for a particular character's set of saves) because certain elements get "baked-in" to every save. Once this happens, saves made with IA cannot be loaded without it. Even "Force Load" won't work.

I think IA is an amazing piece of work. I've also found that "it doesn't work and play well with others", so I choose not to use it at all. :unsure:

(Oh, and I've seen some reports of more problems with newer AMD gpus compared with nVidia's. Might check drivers and/or google "AMD Dragon-Age".)

This is the most useful thing to help me. I LOVE IA, I just now figured out that this was the problem all along with my crashing. Ugh! Removed it, now I need to restart my character. Thank you for the help! :)

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread I was relieved that this was a common issue but I found out why i was crashing. I know i'm 3 years late but their is two dazip file in the 1.2 materials thread that you must install. Once I install those my crashing problem went away. I should've read the readme file better :)

• 2 years later...

For the record, I'm playing without mods and crashing like crazy in Denerim. I always do a vanilla playthrough first, which is where I'm at right now, having just got the game on sale on steam. So far, I've only tried the 4gb fix, with no luck. I'll keep messing with it til I figure it out, though.