Area 51 - A call for help.

XanPa

Hello everyone,

Someone suggested this community for me as "my best bet", so here i am.

3 years ago i was playing a game that i've always been playing, called Area 51 (Midway). After Gamespy shutdown, they decided to also shutdown all the servers for the games they supported as well, including this particular game.
All the players that used to play that game raged on facebook by simply making groups and pages to b&@*$ and demand that the game should come back online again.
After a lot of research i succeeded in bringing it back by looking trough the game for every gamespy address and used the hosts file in sys32 to redirect them to an open DNS. It worked.
Now it's been a couple of months that the game is back online and almost all the players are back and playing it again.
The thing is, this game was made in 2005 and it dosen't have alot to offer to the players.
Being a very difficult coded game, i spent again time to look up how i can open all of it's files and try and edit and add things into them. (If you know this game you know how complicated it is to extract files and repack them, or maybe you thought it was impossible)
Anyway, i did extract the main files (.DFS & .000) and edited some of them, only now... i'm stuck.
Inside of every DFS or 000 file, there is more archives in another extension, for example, the multiplayer avatars are archived into one single file called "MP_AVATAR_BIND.SKINGEOM"
I also discovered that the game has more Multiplayer maps hidden in it, or that they took them off before releasing it.
What i'm trying to do now is to get more maps inside of this game by duplicating a map and replacing it's files with other files. (Yes i have done this for XBMP files and worked, so it's possible) using a script, along with adding/editing the avatars for more choice of characters.
The only problem is that for every single extension i need a certain unpack/repack BMS script.
Does this project interest any of you gentlemen out there?
(I'm trying to make a whole new version of this game called "Area 51 Reborn)

I loved that game when I first played it in 2006-ish. The PC port wasn't very good or I'd still be playing it.

So yes, I'm still interested in this. I'm not very good at actually doing stuff though. Scripting goes way over my head. Pretty much everything except texture art goes over my head, actually, so I don't think I can actually help. :s

There are some much more skilled scripters around here than me.

I remember this game went freeware for a while, I don't remember if it still is.

Edit: Actually, you've prompted me to check where I can download (if freeware) or otherwise buy Area 51 again. I don't know what happened to my PC copy, and my PS2 copy doesn't help me now. :3

Edited by Rennn

Hello Rennn

The game is still free, they made it free in 2008, right about the time when i think Gamespy decided that they're gonna shutdown, or sold everything to GLU...
In order to play a good version of the game, you need to have a [Dopeman] rip of the game, you can either download it as torrent from: http://tinyurl.com/o7j54n2

Or directly from Mediafire or 4Shared using these links:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/LAF7J_g9/PCArea51dopeman.html

For the multiplayer mode, you will have to add these addresses to your hosts file located at: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Scroll down to the last line and add these adresses:
#
198.91.90.160 area51pc.master.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 a51pcb.master.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 area51pc.available.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 area51pc.a51pc.available.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 available.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 master.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 key.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 peerchat.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 area51pc.ms2.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 area51pc.master.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 area51pc.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 a51pc.ms2.gamespy.com
198.91.90.160 a51pc.master.gamespy.com
and save the file (Do not save as .txt)
And voila, you should be able to normally connect to the game like the good ol' days.
There are people online everyday, not as much as they were years ago, but the game is still very much enjoyable!

I would need all the help i can get, i honestly don't know much about modding and doing everything i can to learn very quick about it.
I really hope some good scripters can answer this call soon, for i am still stuck with all those formats the game contains.

You can also check out the small but active comunity we have for now at: http://area51-online.enjin.com

Edited by XanPa

• 7 years later...