[WIP Mod] "Bandits Expanded"

Ainulindale

Updated!

This mod overhauls various locations around Skyrim allowing the player to become immersed in the life of a Bandit, lead their own band and upgrade their camps. So far I've nearly completed Valtheim Towers, a very extensive edit!

Some previews video of the first location, Valtheim Towers, can be seen here:

Current Features (Valtheim Towers):

- Loyal Bandits allied to player

- Full AI packages

- Extensively expanded exterior areas of Valtheim Towers (camps, towers, bridges, walkways, guard towers)

- Full smithy

- Boss Cabin - Player home with basic storage and weapon racks

- Fully Navmeshed (Follower friendly!)

- Functioning merchants (Blacksmith, Hunters, Alchemist, Fence, Skooma Dealers)

In Progress:

- Large underground area beneath the river, nearly done!

- Followers / Hirelings (respawning + randomised, proving tricky!)

- Chance of Rebellious Overseers, who start an uprising in your camp (Also proving tricky!)

- Functioning Bar wenches acting as cleaners, bards and food/drink merchants.

- Halted Stream Camp is currently being worked on, a lot smaller in scope and changes than Valtheim!

*Long* Future Goals:

- Full Bandit faction questline

- Mini-quests allowing you to take and hold camps, purchasable upgrades

- Integration of all camps and loyal bandits more naturally so it's not plug in and play, you have to work to achieve.

Basically a small bandit city, full of murderers, thieves, outlaws, mercenaries, dealers, drunkards and other "interesting" people! Valtheim will be the largest settlement featuring all the comforts you'd need if, for whatever reason, the guards won't let you in Whiterun anymore...

Let me know what you think, or have any suggestions / ideas. "Bandits Expanded" is a placeholder name, will likely be going with "Bandit Empires"

Edited by Ainulindale

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome! Please do this! I would also love to intergrated this into my mod as well if you are willing to! I have many different bandit groups and players can pick and choose which gang to be a part of! Have rivals invade, make radiant quests to raid other bandit camps ect. I've always wanted to make this, but never knew enough of the coding to figure out where to start! Pm me if you want help or anything I want this done soooo bad

Hi there!

I was expecting many variations of "Is this OBIS compatible?" once I release the first version, so it's nice you're the first to reply!

One of the key concepts in making this is that it's compatible with anything else that changes bandit's armours, gear etc. My Loyal copies are basically exact copies of the existing bandits, with an additional new faction friendly to the player, they still use anything within the standard bandit level lists for loot and gear (which is why in the vid you see mine with WiC cloaks, immersive armours etc). Plus it currently will *only* affect the locations specified (I replace the existing spawns with the loyal ones, no other bandits are touched).

Basically it should be pretty simple to make an OBIS version by swapping out my simple bandits with the ones you'd want, and add them to my friendly faction. The only difficulty would be allowing the player to pick which type of warband they wanted, but i'm sure it's possible somehow, similar to build your own home perhaps.

And if a player wants OBIS in general but just the general loyal bandits, all they need is a quick patch removing OBIS spawns from the specific location (which is what I need to do for Populated Skyrim)

I don't use OBIS personally, so i'm not sure how your spawn system works, but i'm very happy to eventually give the player the choice of which bandits to incorporate :]

Hi there!

I was expecting many variations of "Is this OBIS compatible?" once I release the first version, so it's nice you're the first to reply!

One of the key concepts in making this is that it's compatible with anything else that changes bandit's armours, gear etc. My Loyal copies are basically exact copies of the existing bandits, with an additional new faction friendly to the player, they still use anything within the standard bandit level lists for loot and gear (which is why in the vid you see mine with WiC cloaks, immersive armours etc). Plus it currently will *only* affect the locations specified (I replace the existing spawns with the loyal ones, no other bandits are touched).

Basically it should be pretty simple to make an OBIS version by swapping out my simple bandits with the ones you'd want, and add them to my friendly faction. The only difficulty would be allowing the player to pick which type of warband they wanted, but i'm sure it's possible somehow, similar to build your own home perhaps.

And if a player wants OBIS in general but just the general loyal bandits, all they need is a quick patch removing OBIS spawns from the specific location (which is what I need to do for Populated Skyrim)

I don't use OBIS personally, so i'm not sure how your spawn system works, but i'm very happy to eventually give the player the choice of which bandits to incorporate :]

Hey, I'm still a modder. I'm a mod author, but I still get that hype like I did when I first came to this website

All bandits have their version of level lists, so you can easily pull specific gangs out. I also think you should let the players have choices in which types of bandits run around their base. Example being, they want mage guards and archers on top of towers ect. Be a little bit strategic with their bandit placement. If we can figure how to change a lvl list using scripts we probably can easily incorporate this into each other mods. And its great that your mod is very light on performance, as I have tried in the past. If you can look past my strange look into Skyrim bandits, try out my mod, its a ton of fun

Edit: Seriously though great job with the mod so far! Saw the vid, awesome. It's basically making a bandit kingdom!

Finally a bandit mod that actually will pass me! I'm tired of low brow bandit mods unlike this!

Edited by Indigoblade

I'm aiming at a Bandit settlement rather than a pseudo "Tower Defense" mod, but eventually it would be nice to have some in-game options to swap generic bandits out for more thief-like ones, or forsworn style etc, let the player pick the theme of the place (similar to build-your-own-home, pick an interior theme, hunter / mage / assassin etc). Shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility once the core of the project is done, and a great way to integrate OBIS for those who want it :]

Fairly sure i'll be doing a version for immersive armours too.

I think it's possible to turn off the generic spawn points and turn on e.g an argonian only leveled list, in the same way player homes can buy upgrades, and the stuff is switched on in the cell.

As for what i'm doing currently, i've got functional randomised merchants, who can have a decent AI package without having to do it individually for each merchant model (e.g. nord male, nord female, dark elf male etc), only needs to be done per "insert a merchant here" point in each location. Means I can keep adding more variety easily.

What i'm struggling with is randomising what type of merchant gets spawned. I can randomised the actual NPC, but the type of merchant is dictated by linking that spawned level list merchant to a merchant chest, for different types (e.g a blacksmith and a fence) I need 2 chests. I can't find a way of making a level list for existing level lists. A compromise would be to have each type of merchant spawn points placed, but with a low chance of spawning an NPC. Can't find a way to do this unless there's some dummy npc I can add in the level list (making it say 50% spawns the merchant, 50% spawns a dummy that doesn't actually appear). I've looked at using a system like the world interactions (e.g thieves, redguard harassing the woman etc) and it involves scripting beyond me right now. Think i'll have to just spawn all merchants, but give them some complex schedules so they wander somewhere else for a few days.

That was exactly what I was thinking, like how you would theme your house kind of way. About the merchants would you think that the caravan merchants would be good for this? They usually have decent random items and I think it would make sense that random merchants would swing by with all sort of wares instead of specialized ones. Also maybe a base upgrade that will increase the number of merchants that appears would be nice as well.

I use the bandit start mod so I do something like this in my games already. It sets all bandit factions as friendly, but doesn't add any sort of house so this is a pretty nifty idea. :laugh:

One nitpick though, I always pictured a bandit camp at Helgen.

I'll be looking at how the caravans do their thing, how to set up their trade roots, and actually set up shop outside places, and use something similar perhaps. Only issue is I'm making this modular, so you only install the locations you want to install, so I can't add anything to one place that relies on another. I want a variety of merchants just to have a dodgy looking guy selling skooma, a hooded guy sitting in a boss tent offering to fence your stolen stuff, blacksmiths for crafting stuff etc, make it more realistic, and a bit livelier.

And yeah, upgrades should be easy enough, following how the player homes do things, but i'll leave that for the future, get the core stuff done first. For one thing adding a bunch of towers everywhere means editting navmesh, and I have no idea if you can switch from one navmesh to another..

Helgen would be awesome, but likely won't touch it until i've learned a load more, since it's already a pretty complicated area. Don't want to mess with the start scene (I think one of the populated roads mods caused Lokir to fall off the cart...).

Once Valtheim V.1 is done i'll be concentrating on other Whiterun areas (mainly to coincide with my Let's Play), so likely Halted Stream Camp is next. Once 4 or 5 are done I can make a single "Whiterun Collection" download.

Edited by Ainulindale