• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

alexanderaero

alexanderaero

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of urgent help. I've just built a new gaming pc, installed New Vegas, and Installed Nexus Mod Manager.

I am receiving a crash on startup (cannot even reach login screen) supposedly caused by an issue with my .NET framework 3.5.

It states on the troubleshooting page that my windows may have come with a dodgy framework 3.5, and that there are guides on how to uninstall it, and reinstall a better version. After literal hours of searching, I am yet to find a legitimate article on how to do so. Links would be much appreciated. I have gone through and manually disabled and re-enabled it myself, to no avail.

I also receive the following error on startup: "Message: 

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\alexa_000\Documents\Nexus Mod Manager\TraceLog20140118163114.txt' because it is being used by another process."

Not sure what this means, couldn't find any information.

Additional info: New Vegas (Steam) is installed on my C: drive, Nexus Mod Manager on my secondary (Y:) drive.

Thankyou in Advance. 

Purr4me

Purr4me

Mystic Arts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

First, check the links set in my spoilers in my profile, see if you have done any of that.

Second,Windows 8.1 uses 3 stages of permissions levels instead of two. So, taking ownership over programs of any kind on that OS is priority #1.

1. Get Ownership first .set to Every one, use "Everyone in the selection", this means every one that uses that terminal / PC, it does not mean networks. Do not pick logged on user for any thing on 8.1.
  2. once you get all of that going. now set permissions on every folder on the Root drive, even hidden folders. This will kill the hangs for you with all the games.
  3. During all of this, do it in safe mode, Not normal UI. ok? you said you have  an external drive? Backup that operating system before you start all of this.

kitty

alexanderaero

alexanderaero

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hello Purr4me,

Could you please be a little clearer as to what I should be trying?

Furthermore, I'm not sure how changing permissions is going to supposedly fix my apparent framework error??

Thankyou in advance

Purr4me

Purr4me

Mystic Arts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

any app placed on the desktop including Nmm can and will hang the new OS. Any application at all.

you need to take owner ship of the data , at the moment, you have a brand new spanken Microsoft Owned PC, you don't own it, they do.

open the C:\ drive / my computer...if you can access it? you need to see all the data like the old system.

Right click any folder and check it's properties, select security, click on the names posted in the window and see what permissions are assigned to whom.

do this with any file of folder. Get familiar with that OS. you can not overwrite data if you do not have permission to do so, you can not change or alter system rated files until l you do.

.NET 3.5 is Obsoleted  and that OS will tell you so too. yes, it's packaged with it, no you can install it in normal UI mode. you can't  change anything on a work station locked up. 8.1 is not windows 7. how ever, it is very fast. most things go really fast. It hates old hardware.

32bit app's are gonna play havoc with it.

pick a file, not the short cut ,the actual file, check and see what it is set at. even if you think you changed it's security, the next time you open it, it is locked up again. what you need to be doing is getting  control over it so you can deal with outside things.

kitty.

alexanderaero

alexanderaero

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

But will taking control of these folders (even though I don't think I can take control of some C: drive folders) actually solve my issue? Why does the help page state that it is an issue with the .NET 3.5 framework? How do I work my way around that error? I would appreciate links to the supposed uninstallation and reinstallation of the framework that are mentioned?

Thanks in advance

Purr4me

Purr4me

Mystic Arts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

But will taking control of these folders (even though I don't think I can take control of some C: drive folders) actually solve my issue? Why does the help page state that it is an issue with the .NET 3.5 framework? How do I work my way around that error? I would appreciate links to the supposed uninstallation and reinstallation of the framework that are mentioned?

Thanks in advance

Spoiler

alexanderaero

alexanderaero

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I have the 3.5 framework installed; still receiving the same error??

Purr4me

Purr4me

Mystic Arts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

rright click the task bar, select task man. ..ummm, this is hard, you need to watch the processes when you click on the log file, is that the file in question?

I am trying to determine IF you have a completed downloaded installer? possible not. A lot  of reports of bad downloads for it. And it's not just the only file, many have been lost in the shuffle. let's start with the installers file size. ON disc.

kitty

alexanderaero

alexanderaero

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Which log file is it to which you refer?

And the installer for what? Nmm?

Purr4me

Purr4me

Mystic Arts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Which log file is it to which you refer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I also receive the following error on startup: "Message: 

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\alexa_000\Documents\Nexus Mod Manager\TraceLog20140118163114.txt' because it is being used by another process."

----------------------------------------------------------------

And the installer for what? Nmm?<---------- Correct

Kitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmmcrash, tracelog, windows 8.1, framework 3.5

Page loaded in: 1.034 seconds