GOTHIC/RISEN Style Crime System

horstseitz

Hi everyone!

I always found that it were the little things, that made the gothic series so great. One reason was the easy, but amazing crime system. If you done anything unpermitted, you immediatly felt the consequences.

While in Oblivion even with thievery overhauls the crime system is still so un-immersive: when you rob someone, you get that stupid text dialogue (go to jail, pay gold, or attack the guard).

So my idea is to bring that "consequence feeling" to Oblivion:

-If you get caught stealing something, Guards AND NPC at sight will attack you immediatly, (say something like: you dirty thief..) knock you unconscious and take some of your gold(maybe 20%).

-If you KILL someone, then NPCs and Guards will (comment: you murderer!) and kill YOU.

-If you steal, kill unseen it increases your bounty - if the bounty is high enough, then guards will search and talk to you (dialogue without other options) -> you will go to jail and lose ALL your gold.

Since Oblivion has no unconsciousness System i found a mod that changes that (but only for NPCs; has to be applied for PC):

Knock enemies unconscious:

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/31290/?

It would be fantastic if someone could make this happen, it would add a lot of immersion (and fun)!!!!

• 7 months later...

What's funny is that I'm working on a mod that basically implements the 'Knock player unconscious' part into the Game.

Already got it working pretty good.

However I felt like expanding it and made it like so:

After a Crime Guards run at you and present they typical dialogue (nothing changed so far).

However when you choose the 'Resist' option, and after the Guards knocked you out, and you get up after some time

one Guard will come at you and talk and when your bounty is > 100, send you to jail, otherwise the beating served as

punishment enough.

All this happened before I read this, so I might implement this too:

<<

-If you get caught stealing something, Guards AND NPC at sight will attack you immediatly, (say something like: you dirty thief..) knock you unconscious and take some of your gold(maybe 20%).

>>

But probably later.

If you have any other suggestions, shoot.

Sounds great, say my thief characters. :smile:

Ony one detail: I wouldn't let non-guard or fighter NPCs attack the character. They'll simply kill themselves against a mid- or highlevel character or even one who reflects damage, and it's not all believeable too ... why should an old beggar risk his life for example? Most people wouldn't risk a fight. The AI is not up to a behavior of peasants that makes sense and keeps them alive, as they always fight to death even if one of them already got himself killed. There might be even a solution for that, but I think it's fine to let only people fight who stand a chance, and let the crowd yell at the player from the background.

Perhaps you can handle this via factions: Legion, Guard, Mages Guild and Fighter's Guild will attack, while Thieves and peasants always keep out of it. Thieves (not beggars) might still attack a non-thief-guild murderer, etc.

I also like the idea that guards always keep a percentage of the gold which the character had on his person. This makes the Bank of Cyrodiil really useful and also adds to the consequences of comitting crime. More so, having the character killed when he murders someone is a real must have, 'cause jail sounds a bit too modern to me ... Besides, the lovely gallows in several Bravil Overhauls need the occasional volonteer.

Edited by Ynguatep