Skyrim Memory Patch - fixing ILS, uGrids CTD, freezes! (For REAL)

Aminados

Shared this in another thread, but you have better documentation. I'll help this thread by "testifying." :D

So I have an AMD Quad-Core CPU at 4.2GHz natively (and I don't overclock), 16GBs of RAM, 128 GB SSD that I run Skyrim on, a GTX 550Ti (that changes tomorrow when I swap for a GTX 760), and Windows 7 Home Premium. I typically run Skyrim at max settings except for AF and AA, both of which I just turn off. I have plenty of HD retextures (the majority of my mods) and Static Mesh Improvement Mod, but nothing like Open Cities or Better Cities.

Typically Skyrim runs at 22-44 FPS (depends on where I am looking), occassionally CTDs, and the loadscreen time sucks.

When I swapped in this patch my game got incredibly faster, as if I was running 60FPS constant. When I cranked up AF and AA to max (and remembered to turn on Fraps), I got 22 FPS like before. However, my experience was less jerky in general, and the fact that I have had no problems with the game so far is a good sign.

I think this patch has really done it. I am told that there is potential for it to give Skyrim.exe even MORE memory, and I hope this can be accomplished without making the game unstable. However, this small allowance of extra RAM seems to be enough to resolve nearly all of Skyrim's inherent stability problems.

I don't know whether to be angry at Bethesda or happy for this community.

"I am told that there is potential for it to give Skyrim.exe even MORE memory"

If you use ENBoost, it moves a lot of data out of the Skyrim process memory, so that limitation isn't a problem.

"I don't know whether to be angry at Bethesda or happy for this community."

You should probably be both.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, it seems this patch has caused a lot of issues for me. After installing it I started getting petty bad visual glitches, if I look at the ground the screen gets super dark, but any bright light and it gets SUPER bright, when IO use no ENBs or other mods that would do something like this... in addition I started getting crashes every 10~15 minutes when I normally only got them once every hour or two... Uninstalling the patch has not completely fixed the issue either it seems... I don't get it. ._.

EDIT; I confirmed it was this patch, I reloaded a clean save I made before installing and the game worked perfectly. Really bums me out this didn't work... Was hoping this was finally the thing to make uGrids stable enough for a playthrough at 7 or 9.

Edited by ArtMurder

Shared this in another thread, but you have better documentation. I'll help this thread by "testifying." :D

So I have an AMD Quad-Core CPU at 4.2GHz natively (and I don't overclock), 16GBs of RAM, 128 GB SSD that I run Skyrim on, a GTX 550Ti (that changes tomorrow when I swap for a GTX 760), and Windows 7 Home Premium. I typically run Skyrim at max settings except for AF and AA, both of which I just turn off. I have plenty of HD retextures (the majority of my mods) and Static Mesh Improvement Mod, but nothing like Open Cities or Better Cities.

Typically Skyrim runs at 22-44 FPS (depends on where I am looking), occassionally CTDs, and the loadscreen time sucks.

When I swapped in this patch my game got incredibly faster, as if I was running 60FPS constant. When I cranked up AF and AA to max (and remembered to turn on Fraps), I got 22 FPS like before. However, my experience was less jerky in general, and the fact that I have had no problems with the game so far is a good sign.

I think this patch has really done it. I am told that there is potential for it to give Skyrim.exe even MORE memory, and I hope this can be accomplished without making the game unstable. However, this small allowance of extra RAM seems to be enough to resolve nearly all of Skyrim's inherent stability problems.

I don't know whether to be angry at Bethesda or happy for this community.

"I am told that there is potential for it to give Skyrim.exe even MORE memory"

If you use ENBoost, it moves a lot of data out of the Skyrim process memory, so that limitation isn't a problem.

"I don't know whether to be angry at Bethesda or happy for this community."

You should probably be both.

The author does say that ENBoost is required, however he also says that it will work with the vanilla game. I've never used any ENB or ENBoost, and when I installed the chnaged DLL it fixed some repeatable crashes for me even though I did not install ENBoost. So I'm not sure whether it's really required or not.

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned that I have ENBoost (an outdated version, but still does its job).

Incidentally, I just installed a GTX 760 in my computer a couple hours ago and my FPS went from 22-47 to 34-110 with the occasional 27. This includes recording with NVidia Shadowplay Beta, and I have completely maxed out my settings.

I'm going to find myself a performance oriented ENB (been waiting to try that for awhile) and see if there is a significant difference in my performance.

Edited by Deathtoheaven731

I have a GTX 760 4GB and use Project ENB, performance option 1. With this fix installed, ugrids set at 11, everything set to ultra with HD textures, and about 120 mods installed including SFO and SMIM I average a steady 40fps. I haven't had a chance to test the patch for long but so far the game is running smooth. I will say ugrids at 11 would normally cause an infinite loading screen for me so it has already worked in that regard. I used to have problems with CTDs I had been unable to isolate since upgrading my PC and expanding my mod load so I'm hoping this memory patch fixes that problem.

I'm amazed by this patch. My system is pretty humble in its specs, and I would NEVER have considered touching ugrids, ever. My modload isn't the heaviest I've seen, still, around 100 mods which add a lot of NPCs and gear and has the accompanying patches and skyproc patchers to distribute all that goodness over the leveled lists and across Skyrim.

I've installed the skse plugin, cranked ugrids up to 9, and rode around skyrim on mah hoers for a few hours until I got tired of it and the game just ran beautifully. Even stranger, my GPU temp remained 10 degrees C lower than it normally would and my framerate was markedly improved. It's.... wow.

edit: ugrids up to eleven, played for three hours, back and forth to Solstheim, generally messing around, not a hitch. AMAZING.

Somehow, it seems this patch has caused a lot of issues for me. After installing it I started getting petty bad visual glitches, if I look at the ground the screen gets super dark, but any bright light and it gets SUPER bright, when IO use no ENBs or other mods that would do something like this... in addition I started getting crashes every 10~15 minutes when I normally only got them once every hour or two... Uninstalling the patch has not completely fixed the issue either it seems... I don't get it. ._.EDIT; I confirmed it was this patch, I reloaded a clean save I made before installing and the game worked perfectly. Really bums me out this didn't work... Was hoping this was finally the thing to make uGrids stable enough for a playthrough at 7 or 9.

I don't get it. It's just a patched SKSE loader file. How could it possibly cause issues for you? As most people know by now, most problems with Skyrim and it's mods is user-error and not the errors of the mode themselves/people who make them. There is an INCREDIBLE amount of success with this patch, and you're the first I've seen who has had "issues."

I'm not saying or dismissing you have issues with your game in general; but the issues you point are are most probably in no way related to this patch.

Somehow, it seems this patch has caused a lot of issues for me. After installing it I started getting petty bad visual glitches, if I look at the ground the screen gets super dark, but any bright light and it gets SUPER bright, when IO use no ENBs or other mods that would do something like this... in addition I started getting crashes every 10~15 minutes when I normally only got them once every hour or two... Uninstalling the patch has not completely fixed the issue either it seems... I don't get it. ._.EDIT; I confirmed it was this patch, I reloaded a clean save I made before installing and the game worked perfectly. Really bums me out this didn't work... Was hoping this was finally the thing to make uGrids stable enough for a playthrough at 7 or 9.

I don't get it. It's just a patched SKSE loader file. How could it possibly cause issues for you? As most people know by now, most problems with Skyrim and it's mods is user-error and not the errors of the mode themselves/people who make them. There is an INCREDIBLE amount of success with this patch, and you're the first I've seen who has had "issues."

I'm not saying or dismissing you have issues with your game in general; but the issues you point are are most probably in no way related to this patch.

Well, that's just not true. Even if they are caused by some sort of conflict, they are VERY MUCH related directly to thia patch, as my game runs as is at a solid 50 FPS, no visual glitches, and CTDs maybe once every two hours, and after installing this patch I got CTDs every 15 minutes and and extreme visual glitches. And then, when I removed the patch and reloaded a clean save, all the errors went away, and I have played the game for about 4 solid hours since, with one crash and no visual glitches at all. I don't understand how it caused visual glitches at all myself, but something went wrong somewhere... It sounds like everyone is having a lot of success with this, and I really want to figure out what is causing the problem, because I would really like to be able to set my uGrids higher then 5 and maintain stability

Also, I'm 99% sure I installed it correctly, I mean, I've been modding TES games for going on 7 years now, so I know what I'm doing...

Anyways, tomorrow I will run some more tests and see if I can't figure things out. I really want to get this working. =[

Dunno what to say.... this is placebo or fake or someone finally fixed skyrim?

Specs: 8.1 win, i5K, 16 gb ram, 290 Radeon, SSD 128.

Still NO CTD with following craps I did:

1. Installed 4K texture and Skyrim Flora Overhaul (4K & Flora overhaul = CTD 100%)

2. high speed scrolling of 100 items on blacksmith crafting (usually CTD 100%).

3. fired 100 arrows with faster arrow 100% mod. (Usualy CTD with faster Arrow).

4. running back and fort riverwood to whiterun. (usually CTD when close to wolves and giant with companions).

FPS = 60 stable, ENB is PoloENB v.5 (fully loaded), UGrid = 5.

Apologize with my grammar, I skipped many English classes.

Well, that's just not true. Even if they are caused by some sort of conflict, they are VERY MUCH related directly to thia patch, as my game runs as is at a solid 50 FPS, no visual glitches, and CTDs maybe once every two hours, and after installing this patch I got CTDs every 15 minutes and and extreme visual glitches. And then, when I removed the patch and reloaded a clean save, all the errors went away, and I have played the game for about 4 solid hours since, with one crash and no visual glitches at all. I don't understand how it caused visual glitches at all myself, but something went wrong somewhere... It sounds like everyone is having a lot of success with this, and I really want to figure out what is causing the problem, because I would really like to be able to set my uGrids higher then 5 and maintain stability

Also, I'm 99% sure I installed it correctly, I mean, I've been modding TES games for going on 7 years now, so I know what I'm doing...

Anyways, tomorrow I will run some more tests and see if I can't figure things out. I really want to get this working. =[

Did you get the message in the log file to indicate that the mod was active? All it does is increase the size of two chunks of memory that Skyrim uses. People were reporting some visual glitches with Safety Load too. What sort of specs does your computer have, RAM, VRAM, etc.?

To people with problems..

Have you tried messing with block sizes?

Are you using Steam?

Are you using SKSE 1.6.16?

Is your Skyrim version 1.9.32.0?

Have you tried vanilla Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini?

Are you using "Safety Load"? If you are, remove it now, it's not needed.

Check if the block sizes have indeed changed with VMMap.

If you are using "Stable uGridsToLoad" (AKA CellStabilizer) don't change ugrids in-game, it's risky (in my game).

Maybe I'll upload a few of my own compiled dll's with different block sizes, no ini tweaks though, it's default Sheson code.

Edited by Aminados