Graphical Errors when installing too many mods...

Gin14x12

Hello Nexus,

I have previously installed quite alot of mods for fallout new vegas.
I have the game of the year edition.
My problem turns out to be of a rather peculiar sort.
I can install mods freely and disable/enable them at will.
When I install one mod too many, my graphics go all purple and there are huge exclamaionmarks floating everywhere.
(No clue when I cross that line of how many mods I can have installed, maybe it's the game using up too many recources, my machine however is pretty powerfull and I can run Skyrim with 200+ mods installed no problem, with fallout I only have like 30 or 40.

My Computer stats are :
Nvidia Gforce 660 Ti,
16 gb of ram,
AMD FX-8350 Eight core processor (8x 4,00 Ghz)

I really hope somebody can help me on this !

PS. I'm not posting my mod list here, because it's too long, but if it is helpfull, I can still put it up .
-Daniel

Seams Fallout has a soft cap on mods at around 139 mods, I am just learning this....I am at 108 but still loading and plays great.

You can post a long list but if you put it in a Spoiler Tag its no problem. 3rd icon over, in the box your typing in, Tool tip says "Special BBcode" in the drop down is "Spoiler" past your text in the box that appears.

You can do it the old way...

[spoooiler] Text goes here[/spoooiler] if spelled correctly it will work. ....Spoiler

Text goes here.

Ya, Skyrim/Oblivion were more forgiving...heck i was over 260 mods (Bash patch FTW) in Oblivion. Start moding this game and i am like WHAT?...130 mods , no way.

Will have to learn to Merge mods that all go to the same mod, like wmxUe did , Ultimate version.

Not picking on anyone, but going totally modular with a mod is not helping...I installed A mod and it had 9 ESP's..? Another had 7 so as mod users, guess we have to merge a few to suit our games.

Seams Fallout has a soft cap on mods at around 139 mods, I am just learning this....I am at 108 but still loading and plays great.

You can post a long list but if you put it in a Spoiler Tag its no problem. 3rd icon over, in the box your typing in, Tool tip says "Special BBcode" in the drop down is "Spoiler" past your text in the box that appears.

You can do it the old way...

[spoooiler] Text goes here[/spoooiler] if spelled correctly it will work. ....Spoiler

Text goes here.

Ya, Skyrim/Oblivion were more forgiving...heck i was over 260 mods (Bash patch FTW) in Oblivion. Start moding this game and i am like WHAT?...130 mods , no way.

Will have to learn to Merge mods that all go to the same mod, like wmxUe did , Ultimate version.

Not picking on anyone, but going totally modular with a mod is not helping...I installed A mod and it had 9 ESP's..? Another had 7 so as mod users, guess we have to merge a few to suit our games.

Oh for real, there's a cap?
Damn, I didn't know that, but thanks for telling me man, that has already helped.

No need to post my mod list then, because I have now identified the problem. It must be simlpy having too many huge mods installed. I literaly have like 40 huge mods and a few little bug fixing tweaks ;)

Thanks for the help though, that really helped !

Hard cap is actually 255 mod plugins, but the game becomes very unstable after about 150-200. The game also has a hard cap of how many "items" are in your data folder, this includes .esp/.esm/.bsa after a certain amount it causes the game to become unplayable as well. Texture going purple, meshes disappearing, red !, game crashes and save game corruption are all products the issues.

So it might not be the esp/esm hard cap but also to many "items" in your data folder, if you have any mods your not using delete the .esp/.esm/.bsa of those mods to save space.

Edited by nivea

Would I not see the files in the nexus mod manager. The page where I can tick the .esp/.esm to enable or disable a mod.
So if I am not using some mods, but still have them installed, I should see empty boxes on that page right?
All my boxes are unfortunatly ticked...
Could there still be "bad" stuff in the data folder though?

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

You would not see the items of a mod in NMM you can only see them in the Data folder, if your not using a mod go to the mods tab in NMM and click the "deactivates the selected mod" button it "should" remove everything the mod installed. I say should because NMM is a OPEN BETA program you have agreed to test for the Nexus devs and since its a BETA it can sometimes not work correctly, you should always double check in the data folder.

• 8 months later...

Someone told me that you can fix this issue by taking multiple part mods and merging all the little DLC compatability patchs into the main ESP essentially turning 5 files for one mod into one file. this cuts down your mod list by a hell of a lot but it also means that NMM wont be able to automatically update. i just wish most mod authors would release a combined file so that the DLC addons dont consume precious load order ID's

Edited by mikeloeven

Mod hardcapped limit is 255, but actual mod limit depends on each user's PC. For me it breaks at 140 mods, for others is 200 or so. You could use the merger to merge several plugins into one, but then no auto update. All you are left with is to decide what mods are actually useful/interesting and good to keep, and remove the rest of them. :)