Using the Exalt/ Covert Ops armor skins in place of normal armor

dsruix

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the covert ops armor skin (Jacket and Denim) or the Exalt (Shirt aand Pants) skins in place of the normal armor skins. Currently I only really know how to edit using Resource Hacker. I'm not so sure about upk files. I think it'll be fun to fight the aliens in clothes as opposed to strange futuristic armor.

It is possible. I think it might be possible to do what you are wanting to do with only changes the DefaultLoadout.ini.

I've gone a step further and turned the genemod pawns into completely new armors (with different stats) -- my plan is to use the Kevlar, Skeleton, Archangel and Psi armor genemod models as "light" armor variants, boosting the number of armors.

• 4 years later...

It is possible. I think it might be possible to do what you are wanting to do with only changes the DefaultLoadout.ini.

I've gone a step further and turned the genemod pawns into completely new armors (with different stats) -- my plan is to use the Kevlar, Skeleton, Archangel and Psi armor genemod models as "light" armor variants, boosting the number of armors.

Excuse my 4 year delay to reply, but if you still remember, can you explain how it can be done? I know almost nothing about editing ini's. I only change some values when it is explained how and for what purpose in comments. I can't understand much from just looking at the DefaultLoadout.ini. How can you create a new armor in DefaultLoadout.ini? And then you need to add its properties in DefaultGameCore.ini? And how do you make it available from the beginning? Like the Tac Vest and the Tac Armor? Also, except for the Covert Operative outfit, do you think it is possible to make an armor with the model of the "ceremonial" outfit they wear when you promote officers in Long War or award medals in vanilla XCOM? Or even the one MEC Troopers are shown with without a MEC Armor?

Edited by Tsobaso

New armors are not merely a matter of making a change to an INI file. They require artwork adaptions as well. As I recall, the changes Amineri made are incorporated into the "Long War" mod for EW. She moved on to XCOM2 years ago, and (last I knew) was engaged in the "Pavonis Interactive" development group. They maintain a "Long War" forum as well.

-Dubious-

What the OP (back in 2014) was asking for was basically a re-skinning of existing armors - which, in the OP case might(?) be accomplished by assigning existing skins-art-work in place of existing armor-skins-art-work in the DefaultLoadout.ini; basically replacing the values on the "iArmor" parameters.

Personally, I am not sure how well this would have worked ...

Also see: "ArmorDeco" lines in DefaultContent.ini - for how the developers re-skinned armors.