Cheat to Harden Alistair (DAO)?

Anduniel

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this request for Dragon Age Origins, but I specifically searched for forums of this game and came up with nothing, literally. Please tell me if there is a better place to ask this.

In my game I mistakenly chose the wrong dialogue reply to "harden" Alistair in his quest "Alistair's Family" and did not realize it until MANY game hours later, at the Landsmeet where he was not confident and then broke up with me after I made him King. Can there be some mod made or cheat to harden him? Otherwise I'd have to replay the entire Dwarf and Dalish Elf questlines and much more, and I'd really rather not if it can be helped.

Also, I have been completely unable to enable my console, no matter how many things I tried or how much I searched. I made a special shortcut to daorigins.exe and added "-enabledeveloperconsole" then changed the keybindings.ini but still nothing ingame. So, I'd need some sort of mod like a DAzip I can plug directly into the updater, that would be ideal.

Thanks for any help.

How do you know the Console isn't working in-game? Without installing another mod, ("Angel Fonts") nothing shows up when you type until you hit [Enter]. Then, if you made a typo, nothing happens at all. :tongue:

I know it's not enable because when I type the key all my menus still work >.< And I do have the font mod installed.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Edit: Thanks very much for the mod mention, it worked! As did another I have, allowing my Elven mage to marry Alistair :)

Edited by Anduniel

Glad you found a solution. Would hate for Big Al to have left you standing at the altar! :tongue:

Yeah, if you're still able to move your character then the Console definitely isn't enabled. :laugh:

I have been able to get it working for me with every single install of the game (and I've had just about all of them except the Steam one) under both Win7 and Win8. And I've talked anybody who wanted to figure it out (and was willing to share screenshots of their rig's folder structure, .ini files, and shortcuts) through the process.

It does work, and can make all the difference when you've modded the crap out of your game, played for 50-60 hours, then encounter a glitch or conflict that breaks everything! :ohmy: :pinch: :mad:

Just my luck, the steam is what I have. I read the only way to enable it for steam is to edit the daorigings.xml file, which I dont actually have. I'd be happy to share screenshots if you could help, and much obliged. Thanx.

Ok. First. I refuse to use Steam for any game that doesn't absolutely require it. The fact that I can't mod an .exe as I see fit (f'irinstance to employ a LAA hak) makes me dislike it intensely. At least with the EA/Origin mechanism I can choose whether I want it to update my games, and roll-back if I don't like what those updates do.

But further investigation into this situation leads me to recommend two solutions for you:

1. Do a "Repair" of your Steam install ("Verify integrity of game files") and see if that doesn't get the DAOriginsLauncher.exe back. If it does, then follow the wiki instructions for enabling the console by editing the "DAOriginsLauncher.xml" file.

2. Do a complete un-/re-install and get the EA/Origin version. Your product code is valid, so no additional charge! :thumbsup:

Then, activating the console is a "one-click and type the command" operation. :laugh:

I got it to work!!! I verified files as you suggested, though nothing was missing. Turned out I might have simply misunderstood the instructions on http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Console_%28Origins%29 when I wasn't able to find the file. But I got it, and it helped greatly. Thank you.