Children: Tamriel's Future — first alpha is on the way!

Glitchipedia

I've been posting about my intentions to make a child races mod for some time, and now that I have a working head mesh of the proper size, I can say with great pride that an alpha release of Children: Tamriel's Future is just around the corner!

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/members/27212/albums/5668/92798.png

In the foreground, my player character Willis ra Teremolve walks with his daughter Kaeli.

In the background, Willis' wife Icira Witherflame walks with adopted son Orlin.

The races themselves aren't completely finalized yet, still needing new animations to prevent clipping with furniture, but I think that's a fairly minor issue at this stage and can be dealt with in a future update. Currently, only the human and elf races will be supported, but I will try my hand at Orc, Argonian and Khajiit children if demand is high enough. I have no plans to create Dremora, Aureal or Mazken children.

The first alpha release will include a master file containing the human and elf child races, and an ESP adding child NPCs to a number of locations in the game. Their dialogue will be voice-acted (though at this stage they won't have terribly much to say) and they will be scripted so they cannot be harmed (though they'll be certain to call for help if attacked). The mod is dependent on the Blockhead plugin and, by extension, OBSE to give the kids their own bodies. Vanilla clothes and armor will not be scripted to change when equipped to a child; rather, children will have their own designated clothing.

Future releases will seek to expand the role of children in the game, creating individual children with distinct personalities and incorporating them into quests. Ultimately, I hope to create something similar to the adoption system seen in the Hearthfire expansion for Skyrim.

You can expect the first alpha release of Children: Tamriel's Future within the next month or so. It'll take a little time yet for me to learn how to create AI packages for the NPCs.

In the meantime, is there anything specific any of you want from this mod?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's absolutely incredible how great, realistic and beautiful your children look with the new head meshes, because I assume that the screencap shows them with your custom-made head meshes.

The difference with regular children done until now, using simply the Scale option in the Races menu, is astonishing.

You can bet I'll use your mod once you release it, even the Alpha, because the thing I love most to do to my game is giving it variety and life.

You can count on me, matey!

Cheers!

By the way, I may need some help with regards to lore. I'm planning on adding kids to every major city (except Kvatch, for obvious reasons), but I don't necessarily know how many of each race would be appropriate in which places, or if any of them should be related to any existing characters. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Furthermore, I've hit a speed bump with regards to Redguard kids. Should they more closely resemble vanilla Redguards, or one of the retextured versions?

With lore Leyawiin should be crawling with argonian hatchlings, theres a few married argonian couples there you could smack with the stork. Anvil I would put more high elf children , nord in bruma ect... Dark elves should be obvious with imperial children in the imperial city.

And why not put a little child or two in the kavatch camp? Just toggle them as essential in the editer.

Sweetlithium is quite right, but I'd add that Imperial City should show quite diversity in children of all races, including Orcs. About Redguard children, I personally prefer them as Better Redguards, but am unsure on how much people actually uses these variations of Redguards. I suggest that you make them as YOU envision them to be.

Cheers!

Alright, I'll see about putting together the Orc and beast kids. Currently debating whether to have the beast kids speak Cyrodilic or their native tongues of Ta'agra and Jel (probably to be rendered as the sounds of panther cubs and crocodile hatchlings, respectively)—as is commonly known, even human kids can have difficulty speaking human languages, so I can't imagine how difficult it must be if your larynx isn't designed for it.

Unfortunately, I can't add kids to the Kvatch camp because I don't know how to make them vanish in the event the player is using a main quest delayer or a Kvatch restoration mod. Best in-universe justification I can give is that they may have been sent to live in the relative safety of other cities.

Edited by Glitchipedia

• 6 months later...

I'm more excited about this now than ever. So you are telling me that we will ACTUALLY see children NPCs running around in Oblivion? Despite my half-angered thought that something like this should've been done a long time ago, better late than never, right? Keep working at it :thumbsup:

Edited by DarkSpyda04

Sorry for the lack of development, I've run into a serious bug that may hold up the mod's release for a while. Attacking a child NPC does not seem to register as a crime.

Sorry for the lack of development, I've run into a serious bug that may hold up the mod's release for a while. Attacking a child NPC does not seem to register as a crime.

CPA won't want that bug happening now, do we?

BTW, awesome job. I'll be endorsing this mod when it's release time.