Oblivion Mod Questions

dezdimona

Having answered questions and problems with mods for a while here at Nexus, I thought this would be a good idea to add to the mods forum!

Oblivion Mods …Do’s!

1)When asking help about a mod problem please leave the mod name!

2)Tell us which version of Oblivion you have. Original, GotY (Game of the Year), D2D, or steam!

3)Tell us if you have the latest patch installed and the UOP( Unofficial patch) if you use it.

4)Do you have the Oblivion DLC’s (Down Loadable Content) installed. If so which ones!

5)When asking help for a body mod, please say which mod, there are quite a few. HGEC alone has at least six versions with hip and breast size options alone!

6)If you use many mods in your game, please leave mod names and their load order!

7)Tell us if you use OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender), BOSS ( Better Oblivion Sorting Software) or OBMM ( Oblivion Mod manager)

8)Before asking for help with an FPS (Frames Per Second) problem, have you shut off all background programs that are running, Including IM, auto Defragmentation programs and any unused windows programs that you never use. Have you tried lowering your resolution?

9)Tell us if you use Windows XP or Vista. Vista has certain protocols that need to be done to it for Oblivion to function properly.

10) Tell us if you have done a recent Defrag and hard drive clean!

11)Tell us if you have scanned for malware and /or viruses!

12)If your looking for a particular mod, ask here, you’ll get a quicker answer: http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=30512

13)If your looking for the most popular mods, look here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/top.php and/or here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/filesofthemonth.php

14) Do load only one mod at a time to your game, verify in game that it works before adding another mod and so on (Batch loading is just asking for problems) time and patience will give you less headaches!

15) Do be polite and courteous!

16) Do read the mods read me! It may contain information that is pertinent to the mods working properly.

17) Do - Try what the members here suggested ! Don't read a member suggestion and think in your mind "that won't work", at least try it.

18) Do be supportive of the modders and those that give help here.

19) Mods made from other games and exact copies are copyright violations.Do not ask about uploading at nexus as its an Insta-ban if uploaded

Don’t look for help here if

1)You use a pirated or crak’d version, you’ll receive no help and get banned also!

Other don’ts

1)Don’t batch load a bunch of mods and then say, “My game stopped working, what’s wrong?” no one can answer that?

2)Don’t ask to be linked to a mod by saying “I’m too lazy to look myself,” Yes, I’ve seen it done!

3)Don’t be rude or impolite!

4)Don’t bump your topic unless 24 hours have passed. We all don’t know every answer and it may take 24 hours for you to get one!

5)Don’t receive an answer and then say, “Well I don’t think that’s it!” Or some similar words. Those that answer questions here, have usually been playing this game a while.

6)When asking for a load order problem don’t say “Well I use BOSS!” While it is a great program even the author says it’s not 100% accurate. It does have its faults! Use common sense and listen to what people are telling you.

7)Don’t just walk away after receiving help to a problem. A little thank you goes a long way.

8) Don't post an off topic post. (Example : "I understand, I need to install OBSE. Can you give me the list of mods that doesn't need OBSE." But the title of the thread is "My mod doesn't work."

9) Don't derail or take the OP's post off topic. If someone is needing help on a race mod, a "that mod sucks or I play this one, violates forum rules and proper forum ettiquette

This is designed to help the new player or someone who has never posted a problem. It is not a rant nor is it directed towards any one or more person or persons.

Those that answer questions here do so of their own free will because they love Tes Games, in this case ‘Oblivion’ and like to help others to achieve a smooth as possible running game.

Feel free to leave a do or don’t, I’ll add it to the list if it’s reasonable and pertains to mods for Oblivion.

And yes! I too continue to learn and pick up tips and solutions.

My Thanks to all of you who actively participate in helping others solve their game or mod problems.

A special thanks to “Buddah” for having the hugest mod catalog of anyone.For sharing his knowledge and links of those mods with those who ask.

Also a special thanks to “bben,” who constantly answers questions and addresses mod and game problems. I have learned much from him as well!

General thanks for additional Do's and Don't:

Ancient Aeon

Additional Do's.

- Read the mod's readme !

- Be sure to try find out by yourself, what is causing the problem. If you can't do it, ask it.

- Try what the members here suggested ! Don't read a member suggestion and think in your mind "that won't work", at least try it.

Additional Don'ts

- Asking a question here but never look it the thread again for an update. (Example, 5 minutes and no reply, and you never look at your thread again)

- Breaking the rules.

- Posting an offtopic post. (Example : "I understand, I need to install OBSE. Can you give me the list of mods that doesn't need OBSE." But the title of the thread is "My mod doesn't work."

Excellent thread. Maybe they will pin it, I hope so. Good protocols for seeking help from you and Aeon too.

Thanks to you Dezi, I've gotten good tips from reading your posts to others. ( I printed out your suggestions for mod dl'ng from another thread :smile: )

I'd also like to thank Bben. Both of you give very detailed, yet easy to follow instructions for the beginning modder. In fact, thanks to you and Bben, I now have downloaded and can use Bben's tutorial mod! Yay! Never felt so good to see a simple iron dagger lying on a statue! :bunny:

Don't really ask a problem to me. But I'll try to solved your problems in the threads. (I don't have Fallout 3 yet, so don't ask me.)

thank you Ancient Aeon, I will add those to the list!

Netwit2008 Posted Today, 08:22 AM

Excellent thread. Maybe they will pin it, I hope so. Good protocols for seeking help from you and Aeon too.

Thanks to you Dezi, I've gotten good tips from reading your posts to others. ( I printed out your suggestions for mod dl'ng from another thread )

I'd also like to thank Bben. Both of you give very detailed, yet easy to follow instructions for the beginning modder. In fact, thanks to you and Bben, I now have downloaded and can use Bben's tutorial mod! Yay! Never felt so good to see a simple iron dagger lying on a statue!

thank you also!